Dometic RM8551 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-20-2020, 05:55 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
75thRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Sarita, Texas
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Posts: 518
Dometic replaced my fridge on my 21. It wouldn't cool and it was finally determined that the cooling unit was defective.

My RV dealer did all the work and had to remove the trailer door to get the fridge in. Charged two hours labor to do it. I have checked the door very carefully and can't tell it was removed/replaced.

They tell me they do it routinely an it's no big deal.

I called Dave at ETI and they reimbursed me for the labor. Nice!
__________________

__________________
Why have I never heard of a 'Physic' winning the lottery?
75thRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:25 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 6,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Dave removing the screen ,which I did to install my new floor is what I would do . There are a few refrigerators out there that would work . I just in case have checked . Pat
Pat: Only suggesting it as an absolute last resort if one finds a fridge they want that just can't fit through the doorway. Some may not even realize that removing the cooling unit is an option.
__________________

__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Pat: Only suggesting it as an absolute last resort if one finds a fridge they want that just can't fit through the doorway. Some may not even realize that removing the cooling unit is an option.
I know Dave, basically just commenting it really isn’t a problem . There are many ways to install if you need to ,a new or different refrigerator . And I for one am not worried if it ever comes to that . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #44
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 4,092
fwiw, on the classic 21's, the door folds back flush so probably doesn't need removal ... but the screen might.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:50 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
fwiw, on the classic 21's, the door folds back flush so probably doesn't need removal ... but the screen might.
John really on our trailers if needed the screen and it’s frame Are in the way Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ..., New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 3,996
On my 2013 19 the door opening is 22¼ inches wide and the screen door is 24¼ inches wide. Wondering if I can gain another quarter inch of width by removing the black gasket. Of course, that's a moot point since I found out the narrowest 4 cu ft Dometic costs $1300 beans and might not scrape by anyway.
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
On my 2013 19 the door opening is 22¼ inches wide and the screen door is 24¼ inches wide. Wondering if I can gain another quarter inch of width by removing the black gasket. Of course, that's a moot point since I found out the narrowest 4 cu ft Dometic costs $1300 beans and might not scrape by anyway.
Myron I never measured the screen door and my previous post was spell checked . Just commenting there are solutions and I am not worried . Always could remove the refrigerator door too . I think when I was looking I found I think they were Norcold ‘s that would work . I have also considered putting in a compressor drawer on a slide or a compressor refrigerator etc. I don’t think I want to lose the gas refrigerator at this time . I think because these refrigerators are so expensive would fix mine first even if I had to pay for it . I hate paying for labor but as was mentioned a rv tech maybe could solve this pretty quick . Good luck Myron and let us know what happens . As I said before these refrigerators aren’t as robust as they used to be and they require constant maintenance and maybe part fixes . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:17 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
75thRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Sarita, Texas
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Dometic replaced my fridge on my 21. It wouldn't cool and it was finally determined that the cooling unit was defective.

My RV dealer did all the work and had to remove the trailer door to get the fridge in. Charged two hours labor to do it. I have checked the door very carefully and can't tell it was removed/replaced.

They tell me they do it routinely an it's no big deal.

I called Dave at ETI and they reimbursed me for the labor. Nice!
I should have said that the entire door frame assembly was removed in order to replace the fridge.
__________________
Why have I never heard of a 'Physic' winning the lottery?
75thRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:43 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ..., New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 3,996
What I don't get is why Escape insists on installing a 3-way refrigerator as standard, instead of a 2-way. Anyone who has tried it finds out pretty quick that running a fridge on battery power is the quickest way to totally deplete that battery.
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:48 AM   #50
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Posts: 25,710
Sometimes manufacturers charge more for less. Same for automobiles, a lot of standard items may not be needed nor wanted but are included....anything less will cost you more,,,,,?? With standardization comes economies of scale in production which lowers the cost and increases the profit margin....
__________________
Jim
Sometime life gets in the way of living.......
cpaharley2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 147
Igniter keeps clicking after blue flame appears.

In the past when I have had problems operating on gas, simply cleaning the orifice and horizontal burner/flue with a bore brush fixed it. I've never tried to clean the vertical flue above the flame. This time, after cleaning, it ignites with a healthy looking flame, but the electronic igniter keeps on clicking and it shuts down after about a minute. Any suggestions would be most welcome!!!
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:52 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 6,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
In the past when I have had problems operating on gas, simply cleaning the orifice and horizontal burner/flue with a bore brush fixed it. I've never tried to clean the vertical flue above the flame. This time, after cleaning, it ignites with a healthy looking flame, but the electronic igniter keeps on clicking and it shuts down after about a minute. Any suggestions would be most welcome!!!
Same here with older Dometic RM2510. When performance on gas would seem to deteriorate a cleaning of the burner tube and soaking of the orifice in alcohol does the trick. If you bang on the vertical flue pipe a bunch of fine crude will break free and fall into the burner tube reducing performance. So if you do bang on do it right before you clean the burner tube! Make sure you got your ignitor and thermocouple positioned properly relative to the burner when you reassembled. Not exactly sure why the spark would continue though unless the thermocouple is not hot enough and the fridge doesn't think it is lit yet.
Attached Thumbnails
electrode postioning.JPG  
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:08 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 5,023
Wrong Thread...
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
davidmurphy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Posts: 1,443
This has been interesting and enlightening to follow after everything I went through with my furnace, ultimately replacing the gas valve. No fridge problems yet, but I already feel much more able to diagnose and repair it if something does pop up down the road. Love the forum!
__________________
David, Mary, and the cats
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:16 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
sunrisetrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nanaimo Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
When performance on gas would seem to deteriorate a cleaning of the burner tube and soaking of the orifice in alcohol does the trick.

I do the same thing. I've gotten to the point now where I listen to the noise of the flame and if it is not loud enough I remove the orifice and soak it in alcohol. The performance difference is quite noticeable.
__________________
Like a lot of fellows, I have a furniture problem. My chest has fallen into my drawers
"Billy Casper"
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 147
Additionally, and it's worked for me twice now, de-pressurize the propane system and tap on the valve with a wrench.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:50 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
I do the same thing. I've gotten to the point now where I listen to the noise of the flame and if it is not loud enough I remove the orifice and soak it in alcohol. The performance difference is quite noticeable.
Yes!!! That is the way I do it also.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:39 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ..., New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 3,996
After years of aggravation over inconsistent performance, orifice cleaning, exotic flue additions, fans, removing the ice compartment door, etc etc., to my absolute amazement my 8551, on a very recent trip to high elevations, did, after a drive-up hiccup, perform like a normal fridge. Yes, on propane. It must have heard me thinking of junking the thing.
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 7,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
After years of aggravation over inconsistent performance, orifice cleaning, exotic flue additions, fans, removing the ice compartment door, etc etc., to my absolute amazement my 8551, on a very recent trip to high elevations, did, after a drive-up hiccup, perform like a normal fridge. Yes, on propane. It must have heard me thinking of junking the thing.
Hi: MyronL... There's that word again. Take it for a junket on an Oriental sailing vessel. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:14 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
After years of aggravation over inconsistent performance, orifice cleaning, exotic flue additions, fans, removing the ice compartment door, etc etc., to my absolute amazement my 8551, on a very recent trip to high elevations, did, after a drive-up hiccup, perform like a normal fridge. Yes, on propane. It must have heard me thinking of junking the thing.
Mine has always worked well on propane too.... in cooler, high altitude, and dryer air. Not so well in humid and hot climate.
__________________

Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×