Dometic Thermostat Going Nuts - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2024, 11:54 PM   #1
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Dometic Thermostat Going Nuts

Hey Everyone,

We have the Dometic electronic thermostats that has a blue led light to display the menu and temp, and a plastic over that is mostly black.

Escape did a warranty replacement last Oct, but today it just started acting up. When I try to run the furnace, the AC starts up then after a bit the furnace also starts up. We are in AZ, but it is not hot yet and still fairly cold at night.

The AC does not seem to be blowing chilled air and when I toggle the menu to heat-strips the air coming out of the AC unit is mildly warm.

But no matter which setting, other than OFF, the fan in the AC unit starts up.

Any ideas for a fix or replacement?

Thanks!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 07:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Us too. We are having the same problem. On 4th sale switch, it's not that, it's the thermostat, have one on order.
castlecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 07:36 AM   #3

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 07:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 E21C
We've had the same problem. I have resorted to pulling the cover off and simply touching the contacts with my bare finger which produces desired results immediately 100% of the time. I wish there was a reasonably priced alternative but it seems for the moment there is not. Shame on Dometic for putting out a crappy product. Time for ETI to pay attention to this problem.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 07:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 E19
Dt6 this is from an old post and I have read this somewhere else. The fan setting should always be set to auto.
Can't hurt to check it out! Below is the old post.

Make sure the fan is on auto. Go to the fan selection and hit the plus or minus button until it says auto or AU or something like that. Also make sure your heat and cool setpoints are not close together. Raise the cool setpoint to around 80 or higher while using the heat.

Hope this may help.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Shame on Dometic for putting out a crappy product.

John
Dometic……….making crappy products? Who would’a ever thunk it? Dometic refrigerators are not what they used to be either. Unfortunately, it seems everyone is making crappy products these days. I would pay big bucks for a replacement actuator for the MaxxFan if it were made out of machined aluminum rather than pot metal. I always keep a spare. Thetford toilet……better have a spare flush valve on hand. And let’s not forget the poorly designed stove that burned some members here.
Old 02-17-2024, 07:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Several owners have used these. I don’t have personal experience with them.
https://www.microair.net/collections...c-replacements
Old 02-18-2024, 08:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Hey Everyone,

We have the Dometic electronic thermostats that has a blue led light to display the menu and temp, and a plastic over that is mostly black.

Escape did a warranty replacement last Oct, but today it just started acting up. When I try to run the furnace, the AC starts up then after a bit the furnace also starts up. We are in AZ, but it is not hot yet and still fairly cold at night.

The AC does not seem to be blowing chilled air and when I toggle the menu to heat-strips the air coming out of the AC unit is mildly warm.

But no matter which setting, other than OFF, the fan in the AC unit starts up.

Thanks!
You need to change the FAN setting to AUTO. When the FAN is set to HIGH or LOW it works like you are describing which is completely normal.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
We've had the same problem. I have resorted to pulling the cover off and simply touching the contacts with my bare finger which produces desired results immediately 100% of the time. I wish there was a reasonably priced alternative but it seems for the moment there is not. Shame on Dometic for putting out a crappy product. Time for ETI to pay attention to this problem.

John
The Dometic Thermostat is touch sensitive. If you push on the Dometic Thermostat instead of just touching it, it will start to malfunction as you described.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:40 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
The Dometic Thermostat is touch sensitive. If you push on the Dometic Thermostat instead of just touching it, it will start to malfunction as you described.
Yes I’ve known from day one that the Dometic thermostat is supposed to be touch sensitive and that one is not to be pushing but only touching. Our Dometic thermostat is no longer touch sensitive. Period! Don’t be blaming this Escape owner for pushing rather than touching.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 12:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 E19
We also, had the Dometic Capacitive T-stat cease to function. After trying every possible combination of touches (including dry fingers and wet fingers), we bit the bullet and bought the MicroAir T-stat. Considering the amount of hairpulling that the Dometic caused, the price tag on the MicroAir was cheap. Installation was easy and quick. After a winter of non-use, the MicroAir had an issue with the display module, and a call to MIcroAir had one of their 'engineers' tell us what we had to do to fix the display. MicroAir went so far as to give us a follow up phone call, to make sure that the issue was resolved. See if Dometic can match that!
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Ya know I was thinking of buying a Temp Stick to remotely monitor the temperature while I'm gone and the dogs are in the trailer, but given the issues I've had with my Dometic (i.e. those mentioned above) and I'm on my second one (bought my own replacement for a failing one), perhaps I should spend the extra $100 and solve 2 problems I currently have: a crappy thermostat and no remote monitoring...
Old 02-20-2024, 11:01 AM   #13
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
We have it working again - thanks for the tips everyone. A replacement looks like a great option and I'm going to put it on our upgrade list. There has been more than one occasion where I have wanted to make a temperature adjustment after going to bed and the bluetooth/WiFi connection on a replacement thermostat sounds great.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote