Fogged rear picture window. Replacements available? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2023, 12:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Fogged rear picture window. Replacements available?

Not sure how it happened but my rear picture window (2015, E'21) has become fogged internally. I may be able to procure a replacement - if I remove the framework and locate a sticker with the size and part numbers - a most daunting prospect. (One wonders why this critical information was buried so deeply...)

Wondering if anyone has had this problem and successfully solved it?
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 05:42 PM   #2

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I replaced the new style Emergency Exit window with the previous (red handle) window on our new 2022 21C. It was much much easier than I anticipated. Super Easy.

You might check with Escape to see if they still have the old numbers. I think they used a different brand than Lippert back then, If so, work with Lippert on a cross reference.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 09:38 PM   #3

My conversations with Escape failed to produce the old numbers. The window was made by Hehr and may currently be made by Lippert. The numbers - I am told - are on a sticker under the main frame of the window. It will take a full disassembly of the window to retrieve the magic numbers and I will have to enlist the help of young, strong & flexible helpers (think Beer). It will also help to have a warm & calm day on the Front Range of Colorado (think Spring). I was just hoping that perhaps someone had already solved the mystery.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:12 PM   #4
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Do you have framed or frameless windows? Here's a pic of our (2019 E21C) frameless window part numbers of our back window (from the outside). At a glance or from a distance it is very hard to see the numbers in the bottom corners. They are extremely faint. However, if you look hard, in just the right light and distance we can see our numbers. Your windows may be different, but fingers crossed, a full disassembly will not be required to find your numbers. Best of luck, -Bea
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7203.jpg  
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 07:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Not sure how it happened but my rear picture window (2015, E'21) has become fogged internally. I may be able to procure a replacement - if I remove the framework and locate a sticker with the size and part numbers - a most daunting prospect. (One wonders why this critical information was buried so deeply...)

Wondering if anyone has had this problem and successfully solved it?
I’m not sure if this will help, but I just took three windows from a home to a local glass shop to have new glass made and installed.
The fog comes from the window seal being broken.

Call around, not all do custom work.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 11:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Do you have framed or frameless windows? Here's a pic of our (2019 E21C) frameless window part numbers of our back window (from the outside). At a glance or from a distance it is very hard to see the numbers in the bottom corners. They are extremely faint. However, if you look hard, in just the right light and distance we can see our numbers. Your windows may be different, but fingers crossed, a full disassembly will not be required to find your numbers. Best of luck, -Bea
Our older (2015) windows have a frame, actually a rather heavy frame on the inside. The numbers in your photo are related to the safety validation (some kind of registration??) and I did try to use them but they don't identify the part numbers. Unfortunately I am back to a full disassembly, but thanks for your efforts.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I’m not sure if this will help, but I just took three windows from a home to a local glass shop to have new glass made and installed.
The fog comes from the window seal being broken.

Call around, not all do custom work.
My local RV repair shop did some calling and the results were disappointing to say the least.

From what I know, using that fountain of wisdom, aka, Internet - the window layers should be easy to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. But the RV shop was quoted $1200!!! So, at the moment plan "A" is to buy a new glass assembly from Lippert and reuse my frame. Lots of "what if's" here...
Old 12-07-2023, 11:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
My local RV repair shop did some calling and the results were disappointing to say the least.

From what I know, using that fountain of wisdom, aka, Internet - the window layers should be easy to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. But the RV shop was quoted $1200!!! So, at the moment plan "A" is to buy a new glass assembly from Lippert and reuse my frame. Lots of "what if's" here...
Yes, a little acetone and the spacer will almost fall off the the glass.

There's a product sold called "Super Spacer". It's a replacement spacer for double glazing. It's used by production shops as well as DIY.

That quote does seem a little pricey.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 06:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:

What little I know about RV shops has taught me it’s only to be used as a last resort.
So I called HV auto glass-they also cut glass-Patty said if would like text her a picture and she will most likely be able to handle your window.
It’s in your town, they can come to you or you could drop it off.
720-837-3144
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:26 PM   #10

Thanks everyone. I have accumulated a few "what if's" that might be nice to try on a warm sunny day. Not this coming week in Denver however, a couple of inches of the white stuff scheduled for tomorrow followed by a gloomy week. Fortunately no great rush at the moment.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:50 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Our rear window is fogged too, as well as one pane in each of the kitchen and side dinette windows. We don't have the tools or skills to do our own replacement so will get our trusted RV shop to do the work.

So I'm following this thread to see what you do in terms of replacing the glass vs replacing the entire window including the frame. Also I'm wondering if it's possible to replace with different windows such as the acrylic windows or awning type windows. It would be nice to get some benefit from the $$$s we are sure to spend on this. We also have the classic style trailer (2015) so I'm sure our options are different from those who have the new style.

Our fogging is minimal at this point so we have time to see how things go with your replacement. Thanks for the trailblazing!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Our rear window is fogged too, as well as one pane in each of the kitchen and side dinette windows. We don't have the tools or skills to do our own replacement so will get our trusted RV shop to do the work.

So I'm following this thread to see what you do in terms of replacing the glass vs replacing the entire window including the frame. Also I'm wondering if it's possible to replace with different windows such as the acrylic windows or awning type windows. It would be nice to get some benefit from the $$$s we are sure to spend on this. We also have the classic style trailer (2015) so I'm sure our options are different from those who have the new style.

Our fogging is minimal at this point so we have time to see how things go with your replacement. Thanks for the trailblazing!

Not having been successful at this - yet - I can only give educated guesses.

The frame should not be replaced. It separates from the glass so only the glass and glass seals will be replaced. My "sticking" point is that I can not separate the frame from the trailer.

You may be able to convince someone to clean and reseal your existing glass. A professional could do it but the cost will be high. But refitting the glass back into place will be easier.

Escape has windows at reasonable prices - BUT - there are small differences in sizes that they tell me require some minor woodwork. Again - I can't be more specific.

Personally, I would stay away from acrylics. Much more prone to scratching and possible yellowing.

Brand new windows from Lippert come in various configurations like sliders with screens, tipping (for escape windows) etc. My plan is to stick with the original configuration for maximum viewing area.

We should hear from others who have been further along in this process.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Wish I could be more helpful.

My Sept ‘21 E19 has sliders plus frameless on the back. Over the years I have had trouble free sliders, and the swing out acrylics. These sliders have been constant trouble. I got them due to all of the frameless delamination problems reported at the time. We had no trouble with previous sliders or the acrylic swing out. We have also had no trouble with the rear frameless window.

My windows are in with a gasket between the frame and trailer. There is no caulk or adhesive of any kind, so I do not know how they adhered your frame.

I am past trying to get more failing parts from Lippert for repair and am into DIY repair or replacement at this time. I’ll probably have to use Lippert replacements if it comes to it, but I’d rather not given all of the headaches.

I wish you the best, and personally, based on previous experience, would have no problem using the acrylic windows.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:13 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape
About nine years ago the rear window in my trailer had some fogging. I looked options and ended up taking the trailer to RV FogDr in Searcy AR. The cost was about $200 at the time, less than half the cost of a new window. It was guaranteed for two years but has been clear and good since the fix. They do a big business in glass, paint, and decals for big motor coaches. I’d say it’s worth a call to see if they could be an option.

FWIW, I think I caused the inter pane seal to rupture when I was camped in the desert with the window facing south. To reflect sunlight and heat I put a car windshield reflective screen between the inside of the window and the blind, doubling the solar impact on the window. It was too windy to hold the screen in place outside of the window. Mistake.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
About nine years ago the rear window in my trailer had some fogging. I looked options and ended up taking the trailer to RV FogDr in Searcy AR. The cost was about $200 at the time, less than half the cost of a new window. It was guaranteed for two years but has been clear and good since the fix. They do a big business in glass, paint, and decals for big motor coaches. I’d say it’s worth a call to see if they could be an option.

FWIW, I think I caused the inter pane seal to rupture when I was camped in the desert with the window facing south. To reflect sunlight and heat I put a car windshield reflective screen between the inside of the window and the blind, doubling the solar impact on the window. It was too windy to hold the screen in place outside of the window. Mistake.

That was a great price; I would do that too if it existed near me, however the only place within an hour's drive wanted $300- if I brought the window to them, and that was just for the fixed glass part of the slider that was fogged.