Friction Hinges for Door - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2023, 12:41 PM   #21
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyburggeezer View Post
Hi Duncan,
When moving to find food, they look for the odor trail left by rodents. ..... The snakes (all types) will not be looking for food in your trailer unless you have been a host to mice or rats. When exiting your trailer, the old adage "Look before you leap" is most appropriate while in the Southwest during warm weather .... Best of luck, and look out for the scorpions and centipedes.
Thank you for the additional information! Until I was 10 we lived in the Mojave Desert, but I never saw a snake outside, but saw a lot of scorpions (nasty things). There is a lot of information out there of stuff people think is true about snakes, but much of it is not, at least based on what I was able to find researching it a few months ago. I used to think you could put stuff out to keep them away, but apparently nothing works well for that (other than as you mention, keeping their food sources away). Your points make tremendous sense.

We are also concerned about mice and other small critters getting in under the door, and we used to be worried about them getting in through the 30A cable opening, but when we switched to the 21C we opted for the removable shore power cord.

Now as you say, the biggest concern is being able to check as good as you can, under the trailer before stepping out.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:25 PM   #22
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Thank you for the additional information! Until I was 10 we lived in the Mojave Desert, but I never saw a snake outside, but saw a lot of scorpions (nasty things). There is a lot of information out there of stuff people think is true about snakes, but much of it is not, at least based on what I was able to find researching it a few months ago. I used to think you could put stuff out to keep them away, but apparently nothing works well for that (other than as you mention, keeping their food sources away). Your points make tremendous sense.

We are also concerned about mice and other small critters getting in under the door, and we used to be worried about them getting in through the 30A cable opening, but when we switched to the 21C we opted for the removable shore power cord.

Now as you say, the biggest concern is being able to check as good as you can, under the trailer before stepping out.
Just to follow up on what Duncan said and as a herpetologist, your more likely to find a snake in the shade of your door step rather than going out of it's way to crawl under your door. Snakes like shade in hot weather. Personally, I love finding rattlesnakes and unfortunately I rarely find them when I hike through their habitat. As you say, check your surroundings as you get in or out of your trailer and TV. They don't like being stepped on.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyburggeezer View Post

and look out for the scorpions and centipedes.
When I first started going to Q'site I wondered why some folks had these flashlites the didn't look like a normal white light flashlight. I then found the answer, they're ultraviolet flashlights that make scorpions visible at night. Actually I've never seen a scorpion so I've never worried about it too much.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 E19
The scorpions do all their wandering at night. They seem to be pretty shy whenever there's a moonlit night, and like warmer weather. UV flashlights are the ticket, along with tweezers to move them around. BTW, they can't swim.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:55 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21
Didn’t Jim (CPAHARLEY2008) modify one of his trailers by removing the piston and using a Casita-like latch on the door and trailer side to hold it all the way open?

Then a new sweep could be installed. I like the idea of a silicone or rubber type sweep that was mentioned in the other hinge replacement thread.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:20 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Personally I prefer a door that opens and closes normally like on all of our past trailers.

The double magnetic latch that I made works great to protect the awning window and for ease of operation.

You can see what I did here:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post267123
Attached Thumbnails
E9E735D9-9044-4FD2-851C-3D070DEFBFAD.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post

Personally I prefer a door that opens and closes normally like on all of our past trailers.
I used to agree with you.

I didn't like the idea of the friction hinge when I first heard about them. I liked one aspect of the automatic closing of the door. It was especially handy when exiting with an arm load of stuff and not having to also reach for the door and close it.

The thing about fully opening the door and parking it along side the trailer is that at some point you have to exit the trailer to grab and close it.

The friction hinge is more versatile in where you park it. Works for us but like so many trailer options it all comes down to personal choice.

Ron
Old 01-25-2023, 12:26 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape19
Friction door hinges

I also bought the ones listed on Amazon made by Lippert and they work great! I removed the piston and then was able to cover the gap with a piece of plastic. Much better!
Ascheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:32 PM   #29
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Installed!

We had a decent day yesterday so I was able to install the friction hinges I received from Lippert the other day. Here is a picture with the friction hinges circled. The video and instructions from Lippert were great (unusual I know). I was pleasantly surprised when I cut the template out of the provided instructions and found that it actually works.

I cut the template out along the marked line, then when placing it on the door frame I placed the edge of the template on the outside edge of the doorway. I then placed the hinge over the template (gently taped in place) and saw the holes line up perfectly, marked them, then predrilled the necessary holes following the instructions.

The hinges work great and it would take a very good gust of wind to move it much, but at the same time it is not difficult to open/close. Now we just have to get used to it, but we like it much better already.
Attached Thumbnails
FrictionHinge.jpg  
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:49 PM   #30

Always nice to do a mod that goes like clockwork. Yes, the template and instructions are good and that helps a lot.

I've used it a lot now but as you say, it does take a little getting used to. But I'd never go back to the piston or a door that you had to hang on to if it was a little breezy out.

Ron
Old 01-31-2023, 10:28 PM   #31

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've used it a lot now but as you say, it does take a little getting used to. But I'd never go back to the piston or a door that you had to hang on to if it was a little breezy out.
We’ve had a couple of friction doors and didn’t like them and were tired of going outside in the rain to retrieve our open door that was latched to the camper side.

Our Bigfoot has the 110 degree (?) door, but our 5.0 had the 90 degree door. We liked the 90 degree door, but like the 110 degree door even better. Every summer we have a nest of garter snakes in our woodpile at our seasonal campsite and have seen a couple of rattlers. Not going to fret about either getting in. However I know others would freak!

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:03 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
We’ve had a couple of friction doors and didn’t like them and were tired of going outside in the rain to retrieve our open door that was latched to the camper side.

Our Bigfoot has the 110 degree (?) door, but our 5.0 had the 90 degree door. We liked the 90 degree door, but like the 110 degree door even better. Every summer we have a nest of garter snakes in our woodpile at our seasonal campsite and have seen a couple of rattlers. Not going to fret about either getting in. However I know others would freak!

Enjoy,

Perry
You need to burn more and get that woodpile down to a season....
Old 06-28-2023, 11:19 AM   #33

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascheck View Post
I also bought the ones listed on Amazon made by Lippert and they work great! I removed the piston and then was able to cover the gap with a piece of plastic. Much better!
So, the friction hinges are for the screen door to allow you to remove the automatic door closer and close up the door gap? Is there another purpose?

Old 06-28-2023, 01:35 PM   #34

The friction hinges are for the main door. The screen door goes along for the ride and it can still be closed when the main door is wide open.

I never liked a door that would only open 90*. Often we have our chairs etc. setup under the awning and a door that sticks out into that space is a nuisance. With the friction hinge you can park the door in any location you want. Unlike the doors of yesteryear there's no danger of wind ripping it from your grip.

Also the piston isn't maintenance free. It can start making an annoying noise. Those two reasons are why I went with friction hinges. The gap was never a concern for me.

Ron
Old 07-16-2023, 01:28 PM   #35

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
I installed the friction hinges and it was as easy as predicted. I don't know why they don't predrill all the hinge holes?

After installing the first hinge I almost stopped as it was already fairly stiff, but probably not enough for a good wind, so I installed the second one. Now I find it very stiff, almost to the point I worry about the load into the door channel.

Has anyone found they loosen up a little with use? I am tempted to put a little lube on just one to see if it gets a bit lighter.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 02:10 PM   #36

I hear you. Yes, totally different feel and if you don't use the trailer for a few days still surprises you by the different feel.

But I've used it a lot and haven't had any problems and I wouldn't go back to either of the previous two types. The ability to "park" the door where you want it, including wide open next to the trailer side without having to do it a catch is great.

Ron
Old 07-16-2023, 02:25 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
I installed the friction hinges and it was as easy as predicted. I don't know why they don't predrill all the hinge holes?

After installing the first hinge I almost stopped as it was already fairly stiff, but probably not enough for a good wind, so I installed the second one. Now I find it very stiff, almost to the point I worry about the load into the door channel.

Has anyone found they loosen up a little with use? I am tempted to put a little lube on just one to see if it gets a bit lighter.
I installed mine before I went to Arizona last winter for over 4 months and the door was used a lot. I have not seen the hinges loosen up which I'm very happy about. I believe the hinges are built to withstand 45 mile an hour winds gusts and I don't want then losing that ability.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 03:31 PM   #38

Quote:
But I've used it a lot and haven't had any problems and I wouldn't go back to either of the previous two types.
Ron
Thanks. I agree that I do like the friction hinges. I did not like the piston holding the door at 90 degrees all the time, and as you know, both of my brothers trailers have the T hook riveted to the fiberglass body and I did care for the look or the potential failures. This gives the best of both worlds. It is just so stiff.
Old 07-16-2023, 04:19 PM   #39

Hope both those brothers are doing well and getting some campfire time out there on the land.

Every time that I have the slight thought , hmm, these hinges are stiff, it's followed by memories of having the wind whip the door from my grasp and slam it into the trailer side.

Ron
Old 07-16-2023, 05:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Hope both those brothers are doing well and getting some campfire time out there on the land.
Ron
Brothers are headed to the east coast for 2-3 months. Should just about be to Québec now.