Generator Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I have the Honda EU2000i. In the manual the maximum DC output is 8 amps. When charging the 12V battery for our MinnKota electric motor I plugged a battery charger into the AC outlet and believed that I was getting the 15A output the charger is capable of. However, with the Honda having a maximum AC output of 13.3 amps (just read this in the manual now), the charge rate of the battery charger plugged into the Honda's AC is probably only 13.3 amps (or less). [I would appreciate comment on this from any electrical experts on the forum.)

At the same time as I charge the 12 V battery I also plug the trailer's shoreline cable into an AC outlet on the Honda to charge the trailer's two 6V batteries and it handles both loads fine. In our old stick built trailer, running just the fridge, water pump and lights in the evening meant we would run the generator for 2-3 hours every 3-4 days. With our LED lighting in the Escape I expect we could get even longer intervals between generator use, though as we will still have to charge the boat battery we will probably top up the trailer at the same time.

I had considered buying the Honda1000i, but opted for the more capable 2000 model and am glad I did. If just charging the trailer batteries (2 x 6V) it runs at just above and idle, so it is very quiet. If I add the other 12V battery to the load it is noisier, but no where near maximum speed. I think that the 1000i would be running a lot faster and probably making more noise for the same electrical load.

Another reason I'm glad we have the 2000i is that it is capable of running the Escape's air conditioner, something that Reace confirmed for us on our last visit to ETI.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote