Giandel 2200W Inverter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2022, 09:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C
Giandel 2200W Inverter

I'm doing modifications on my new 21C. Installed a Giandel 2200W PSW Inverter to my lithium batteries and wired the inverter through a WFCO T-30 transfer switch. I removed the wiring for the electrical plugs from the WFCO power center to a separate breaker panel with two 15 amp breakers and then to the transfer switch. I installed a 30 amp breaker in the WFCO power center and routed those wires to the shore power side of the transfer switch and the inverter wires to the generator side of the transfer switch. (These changes are the same as Escape would have done if I had ordered the inverter from them.)

I tested the modifications and the transfer switch allows flow through power from the shore power to the outlets. I used a plug in circuit tester and confirmed the hot, neutral and ground were all connected properly at all the outlets. I then turned on the inverter and the transfer switch activated in about 30 seconds and the power at the outlets switched to the inverter. I then used the circuit tester and found a fault showing the hot and neutral were reversed. I double checked the wiring from the inverter to the transfer switch and found it was connected properly. I decided to use the circuit tester plugged in directly to the inverter and it also indicated the hot and neutral were reversed. IMO either there is a problem internal to the inverter or is this an anomaly that occurs with an inverter? There were no fault indicators showing on the inverter and no trouble shooting tips in the owners manual that mention this problem.

I would appreciate any helpful tips or thoughts on this problem. I have emailed Giandel and am awaiting their response.
Pairofkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 10:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairofkings View Post
I'm doing modifications on my new 21C. Installed a Giandel 2200W PSW Inverter to my lithium batteries and wired the inverter through a WFCO T-30 transfer switch. I removed the wiring for the electrical plugs from the WFCO power center to a separate breaker panel with two 15 amp breakers and then to the transfer switch. I installed a 30 amp breaker in the WFCO power center and routed those wires to the shore power side of the transfer switch and the inverter wires to the generator side of the transfer switch. (These changes are the same as Escape would have done if I had ordered the inverter from them.)

I tested the modifications and the transfer switch allows flow through power from the shore power to the outlets. I used a plug in circuit tester and confirmed the hot, neutral and ground were all connected properly at all the outlets. I then turned on the inverter and the transfer switch activated in about 30 seconds and the power at the outlets switched to the inverter. I then used the circuit tester and found a fault showing the hot and neutral were reversed. I double checked the wiring from the inverter to the transfer switch and found it was connected properly. I decided to use the circuit tester plugged in directly to the inverter and it also indicated the hot and neutral were reversed. IMO either there is a problem internal to the inverter or is this an anomaly that occurs with an inverter? There were no fault indicators showing on the inverter and no trouble shooting tips in the owners manual that mention this problem.

I would appreciate any helpful tips or thoughts on this problem. I have emailed Giandel and am awaiting their response.

I'm assuming the inverter was completely isolated from the rest of the electrical system when you plugged in your tester?

Some inverters are setup where both hot and neutral are 120v in respect to each other, but 60v in respect to ground. (I.e. ground is halfway between hot and neutral) That can cause a number of problems.

Do you have a voltmeter to check the voltages between hot, neutral, and ground? (With the inverter electrically isolated, except for 12v input)
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 10:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Ah, the floating inverter.

The only difference between hot (or "line") and neutral is that neutral is at the same voltage as the ground. The inverter probably doesn't tie neutral to ground (which is called "floating"), so the tester doesn't see neutral at the same voltage as ground, which it displays as "hot and neutral reversed".

The subject of bonding (connecting) neutral to ground is controversial; other than that, I don't think there's a problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 21C
Thanks for your responses. I did receive an email from Giandel (Very quick response BTW). They indicated there is no problem with the inverter. The circuit tester I was using is designed for household application and is not compatible with testing of the power produced by an inverter. It's good to know everything was installed correctly and nothing is wrong with the inverter. It's also great to learn something new about how differently the inverter delivers power. Great being part of this awesome forum. Thank you!
Pairofkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairofkings View Post
Nice work! Added functionality and you know you trailer wiring intimately which is great for any future troubleshooting.