Good Dehumidifier - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2018, 01:55 AM   #61

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Not sure why you would need it, even if it works for a while. I use Dri-Z-Air crystals in two containers during the winter months. More compact and cheaper. No electricity required.
I'll also turn on an electric heater once in a while and crack open a window.
My cushions and bedding are lifted for more air circulation. Cupboards are all left open. I've had no issues in 9 years.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:27 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, I agree, use your unit for awhile and then make the decision, purchasing a lot of "what if" type of equipment turns into an expensive set up, wait and see. You can always put something in later, after you determine what exactly is needed. Even after 15 years I'm still changing items.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:31 AM   #63

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
I know a few of you have mentioned this unit:
https://www.amazon.com/EcoSeb-DD122E...eywords=ecoseb

And love the idea of the comparative small size and weight, but the reviews are a scary high percentage of 1's, due almost unanimously to it just farting out and not working after a certain period of time. Have those of you on here that have used it in your trailer used it much? I've narrowed it down to this or the slightly larger and heavier Frigidaire model for a 5.0 TA we're picking up next month. I wonder if the Frigidaire will also fit under the stairs at 20.5" tall?
My Newair (discontinued) just fits under the step of the old style 5.0TA. I checked it's size specs against the one you show. The Fridgeidaire is a little shorter, 19.1" vs 19.5", so you'd be fine there but the width of the F brand is wider, 6.9" vs 6". I think that maybe a problem.

See if you can get the front to back measurement of the new body trailer step at the opening.

You need a little extra room as the step thread doesn't open to 90 degrees due to the carpeting.

We really like the powered dehumidifier and use it quite a bit. The biggest thing we notice is the bedding gets damp in humid areas, run the unit for an afternoon and the dampness is gone. It's another personal preference thing, to us it matters. I also run it once in a while at home when it's been real damp for a few days, probably because I had to deal with mildew once in the last trailer. For the record, that's once in 12 years.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:53 AM   #64

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I have had my Ecoseb for almost 3 years and I have experienced zero problems with it. I use it every trip extensively because I like to keep inside humidity levels in the 45%-50% range. I purchased it before taking delivery of my 5.0TA. I transport it upright in the bottom of the wardrobe closet, in which I had two shelves installed as we fold rather than hang out camping clothes. And I can remember the last time we brought a tux or an evening dress with us in the trailer. If my Ecoseb were to die, I would purchase another with no qualms. It has been no less reliable than conventional compressor dehumidifiers. Living in a location with high humidity in the summer months, I have a owned a number of dehumidifiers. In the last two years, I have had to replace two of them, one a Frigidaire and the other a Hisense. The Frigidaire was purchased after my Ecoseb, the Hisense was approximately 4 years old.

One has to take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt. First, competitors will post bad reviews as well as great reviews of their own products. Then there are a lot of unhelpful reviews. Why bother reviewing something with “it works,” “OK,” “I like it,” or “fits my needs.” This doesn’t tell the prospective purchaser anything. But even worse are the stupid or disgruntled. For example, “I rated this a 1 because it didn’t come with batteries.” Yet when reading the product description, it is clearly stated that batteries are not included. Then there are the ones that complain “to small” or “too large,” when the dimensions are clearly stated in many cases. But my favorite ones are the ones which state something like “I like the product but I’m rating it a 3 because it isn’t made in the USA.” I personally didn’t realize that country of origin should play a role in rating the quality or functionality of a product. I would not let a handful of bad reviews override a much larger number of good reviews. And if you read enough Amazon reviews you know that someone will give even the simplest item, say a box of screws a bad review. “I rate them a 1. They were very hard to drive into oak.” Perhaps it should have honestly said “...... oak, without drilling pilot holes and using my worn out screwdriver I bought at Harbor Freight for 39 cents.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #65

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
My Newair (discontinued) just fits under the step of the old style 5.0TA. I checked it's size specs against the one you show. The Fridgeidaire is a little shorter, 19.1" vs 19.5", so you'd be fine there but the width of the F brand is wider, 6.9" vs 6". I think that maybe a problem.

See if you can get the front to back measurement of the new body trailer step at the opening.

You need a little extra room as the step thread doesn't open to 90 degrees due to the carpeting.

We really like the powered dehumidifier and use it quite a bit. The biggest thing we notice is the bedding gets damp in humid areas, run the unit for an afternoon and the dampness is gone. It's another personal preference thing, to us it matters. I also run it once in a while at home when it's been real damp for a few days, probably because I had to deal with mildew once in the last trailer. For the record, that's once in 12 years.
Edit: I compared my Newair to the Ecosub you linked to, not a Fridgidaire.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #66

I have a plan for my bed condensation. I purchased some hyper vent type material, a roll of
relectix, and a ventilating 12v fan. I plan on installing the vent material to the bed bottom and sides and drilling a hole in the middle of the bed platform underneath to install the 12v fan with the exhaust side down. I'm installing the reflectix on top the mesh under the bed and around the bed sides keeping the mesh against the exterior walls. The fan should move some air down and around the bed sides and underneath and exhaust it under the bed. Thus air movement and heat should be sucked from the heated portion to the unheated bed area underneath. As soon as it gets above freezing I'll start installation.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #67

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Hey CP please follow up with pictures of this install tks
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #68

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Yes I like you have indeed learned to take amazon reviews with a grain of salt. But those complaints in particular were from verified purchases, and all stated it stopped working. I do like the size better, although bit more expensive, maybe I'll take my chances. Where do you put it when it runs? I was thinking the bathroom with a small hose to drain in the shower.'
Thanks
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not sure why you would need it, even if it works for a while. I use Dri-Z-Air crystals in two containers during the winter months. More compact and cheaper. No electricity required.
I'll also turn on an electric heater once in a while and crack open a window.
My cushions and bedding are lifted for more air circulation. Cupboards are all left open. I've had no issues in 9 years.
I'm more thinking of the use case where we are actually using the unit and living in it for extended periods, which we plan to do this year for a few weeks. The human body can exude gallons of moisture a day. But yes in an extended storage situation I imagine the dry z air would be just fine.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #70

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I can imagine using it in the southeast US, but not Washington, or BC.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #71

Quote:
Yes I like you have indeed learned to take amazon reviews with a grain of salt. But those complaints in particular were from verified purchases, and all stated it stopped working. I do like the size better, although bit more expensive, maybe I'll take my chances. Where do you put it when it runs? I was thinking the bathroom with a small hose to drain in the shower.'
Thanks
David, I am making an assumption that you are referring to me due to your reference to taking Amazon reviews with a grain of salt. I would point out that there are a whole lot more good reviews from verified purchasers than there are bad. And although I bought my Ecoseb from Amazon, I never bothered to write a review and as I previously stated, I would buy another one. Consider this, who is more likely to review something if they usually don’t bother to write reviews of the items they purchase.......the one who is satisfied or the one who is not for whatever the reason and is probably upset? I believe that if every satisfied purchaser wrote a review of every item purchased, the number of bad reviews would be an even smaller percentage than what usually appears. I would also suggest that you pick any appliance you have in your home kitchen with which you are completely satisfied and check the Amazon reviews. I would almost guarantee that someone will have stated how horrible the product you find perfectly wonderful is. The point is, there are lemons, but how widespread. And then there are those who are clueless and their reviews reflect their own shortcomings mistakenly transferred to a product they fail to operate properly or subject to abuse. Additionally, I have seen items trashed on Amazon that receive high ratings on other websites, and vice versa.

I only use my Ecoseb when traveling because of its smaller size. I typically set it up under the dinette and I empty the bucket whenever it gets full. I do not use its drain hose. When I am not traveling, the Ecoseb is stored in the wardrobe closet. And since it can get very humid in Florida at certain times of the year, when I am at home I put a standard compressor type of dehumidifier on the counter and run a drain hose into the sink, through the gray tank, and out through a hose (using one of the drain caps that incorporates a molded-in hose fitting. The hose dumps onto a landscape plant. The reason I uses compressor dehumidifier when I am home is twofold. First, the added size (footprint) and placement of the unit doesn’t get in the way when the trailer is not being used and second, the compressor type dehumidifier is capable of removing much more moisture per day than the Ecoseb, which is rated for 15 pints (and that is not at all shabby!). I would note that I consider a humidity gauge as standard/essential equipment in my trailer, and I monitor humidity levels carefully.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #72

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The same dehumidifier seems to appear on Amazon.com under several brand names, usually with "peltier" or "thermo-electric" in the name or description. These are real dehumidifiers - not just air circulators, heaters, or desiccant containers. They use a Peltier junction instead of a compressor, which makes them inefficient (which doesn't matter), simple, reliable, and small.
this is what i use water goes in a container and i dump it every week or two. They need electricity and would freeze in a very cold environment works great in the PNW.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #73

Trailer: 2017 F250
Thank you for a very clear and concise description of the alternatives. It is very helpful and will be useful in explaining the options to others.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:01 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Interesting side-benefit (or not) of a compressor-style dehumidifier is that in addition to actively removing moisture from the air (by condensing moisture on to chilled plates then catching the drippings in a pan), it also heats air leaving the dehumidifier as a consequence of the compressor system. So you're getting a "two-for". That heated air leaving the dehumidifier can be of benefit in cooler climates where it helps heat the camper's cabin. Not so much in warmer climates like here in the Southeast in Summer. More than a couple days of running our dehumidifier in our enclosed camper heats the interior way beyond comfort level. Doesn't help to open windows to vent the added heat because that just lets in more humidity. So it's a balancing act. But if that's my biggest problem, life is good....
I believe that running A/C also has a dehumidifying effect?
Old 01-31-2018, 03:45 AM   #75

Yes and operating the dehumidifier when it is really cold may cause it to ice over, most have a 40 degree low temperature set point.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:37 AM   #76

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes and operating the dehumidifier when it is really cold may cause it to ice over, most have a 40 degree low temperature set point.
In high humidity climates the A/C alone will not dehudify adequately if you want to remain in the “recommended” 40-60 RH zone.

And the Peltier type of dehumidifier will never ice over because simply stated, it dehumidifies with warm air and produce more heat than the compressor types. Some of the newer compressor type dehumidifiers will operate w/o freeze-up in lower temps than the older models also.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:32 AM   #77

I was not aware we were discussing Peltier units, they are in my opinion not as efficient in hot or cold areas, strictly temperate areas with little change impact. I believe they operate in rang oe 20-30 degree differential with outside, anything more one would use the standard compressor type, which has it draw backs with too low temperature operation mentioned. If you live in high humidity, compressor type are more efficient, per kilowatt.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:13 AM   #78

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Isn't that the original basis for the "C" in A/C standing for "conditioner" rather than just cooler or chiller?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:51 AM   #79

Yes, it conditions the air and there is a lot of condensate when humidity is being removed during the conditioning.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:45 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was not aware we were discussing Peltier units, they are in my opinion not as efficient in hot or cold areas, strictly temperate areas with little change impact. I believe they operate in rang oe 20-30 degree differential with outside, anything more one would use the standard compressor type, which has it draw backs with too low temperature operation mentioned. If you live in high humidity, compressor type are more efficient, per kilowatt.
Peltier units were brought up in an earlier post by another member. I was merely commenting on freeze up. I use an Ecoseb when traveling. It is a dessicant dehumidifier and adds much more heat than a compressor unit. And even though the A/C will remove humidity in “conditioning” the air, I stand by my statement that in high humidity environments it will not adequately remove humidity and maintain a comfortable temperature. You would have to run the A/C constantly and the trailer would feel like a meat locker.