Hinges and latches - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2023, 08:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Hinges and latches

We took a long dirt road on the way to our most recent campsite this past weekend. And then we took the long dirt road back to the paved highway. What a wonderful way to help us work out some more kinks on our new (month and half old) E19!

A kitchen cabinet hinge broke and some of our latches/catches are broken, and other loose stuff that's easily repaired. Does anyone know where I can buy the cabinet hinges and latches that ETI uses, or better quality ones that look similar and will fit the existing screw holes?

I don't think ETI sells or will send me extra beyond what is broken. These seem like pretty weak parts that we would do well to have a few on hand.

I tried to upload a photo, but the system won't let me.

Thanks for any advice!
Pauly D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 08:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Here's the hinges Escape sent the link for
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1193.jpg  
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
You're not the first and won't be the last to break those hinges. Our 19 broke the one to the left under the sink a couple of times. It's not the hinges that are the problem, it's the latch that doesn't offer any vertical support to the door. Various folks have replaced the latches with ones that do offer support.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
One of the catches broke completely off another is creaked.
I called Escape Warrenty, I asked them to send me a replacement.
They offered and sent me 6 replacements encase any others break.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:01 PM   #5

Thanks very much for these helpful ideas. Home Depot here in Canada doesn't seem to carry the Liberty hinges, but it looks like we can get identical or similar under the Peerless brand here at Canadian Tire.

I have read other discussions in the forum about hinges and latches/catches, back to 2017 and more recent. It makes sense as Ron says above that the hinges aren't the problem, but the catches that offer little support. There are some links in other discussions to products in the US. If anyone knows of a really good latch I can get here in Canada, please post details and I'll buy a bunch and replace them as I need to. These ones that ETI uses seem to bend and break super easy. I would have loved the option to replace with better quality hardware. (Someone in another thread ordered their own and had ETI install them - wish I had read that a few months ago! I would have searched high and low for the best latches and hinges as these seem pretty important parts of the trailer.)

I have a call in to Escape to ask about getting some replacement hinges and latches.

Thanks again, folks. Take care, Paul
Old 08-31-2023, 12:12 AM   #6

This is a type of catch that supports the door and lessens the strain on the hinges. Amazon in a 10 pack I think.

On the door over the hanging locker I installed a heavy glass mirror. I installed a support bracket to take the weight. Whatever it takes.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0029_resize.jpg   IMGP0030_resize.jpg   IMGP0032_resize.jpg  
Old 08-31-2023, 07:30 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
This is a type of catch that supports the door and lessens the strain on the hinges. Amazon in a 10 pack I think.

Ron
Those latches look like they'd really do the trick.
Old 08-31-2023, 08:57 AM   #8

Thanks, Ron, I'll look for those catches. Wish I knew about this issue before it was too late - I would've secured the cabinet doors from the outside while travelling. Instead, the doors under the sink and bed have clearly been swinging at will, smashing and busting the cheap catches, and breaking the hinge to the left door under the sink. (I think it was you who accurately pointed out in another discussion thread that this is a particularly weak area).

We never had one broken hinge or catch in about 15 years experience with our old 1979 Trillium - this wasn't a potential issue I ever even thought to think about. The doors and cabinets used a different system (handles with push buttons if I recall with hold/release type mechanism on the inside). Solid build quality and materials in that old trailer, but then of course it was small, didn't have AC, fridge, or bathroom, so we are very happy with our Escape upgrade!

Ron, in your experience, do those catches do the trick, or do the doors still sometimes open while travelling and is it maybe a good idea to secure the doors from the outside?

Thanks again, much appreciated, cheers, Paul
Old 08-31-2023, 09:44 AM   #9

I just found more good discussion of the "washboard road" challenges. Seems like this issue (including latches, etc) has been pretty actively discussed. Thanks for your patience as I learn and research all the useful info here at the forum.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ads-22774.html
Old 08-31-2023, 10:56 AM   #10

Nicholas from after sales support at ETI just called. They are sending a replacement hinge and latches with some extras.

He said to reach out if we ever need replacement parts, that they always have them for sale if not covered under warranty.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:34 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
Those latches look like they'd really do the trick.
they work great, but have to be quite carefully aligned when installed.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 05:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D View Post

Ron, in your experience, do those catches do the trick, or do the doors still sometimes open while travelling and is it maybe a good idea to secure the doors from the outside?
The only thing that I can confirm is that they take the strain off the hinges. We've always run a cord through the door handles because we often travel on forest service roads etc. I don't think that my wife would be thrilled if I told her that I wanted to do a little experiment and not put the cords on. The latches do require a bit more pull than the factory ones so they do hold better.

An installation trick is to back off the ball tension, put the door side part in the fixed side and close it onto some double backed tape. The door part will stay in the correct location if your gently open the door and can be screwed down.

Ron
Old 08-31-2023, 09:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 21c
Home Depot. A wide variety just make sure the holes lineup. They also have cabinet magnets.
and the same latches as well as upgrades.
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 09:51 AM   #14

Good advice here, thanks all. Regardless of new latches - original replacements or upgrades - we'll also secure the handles from now on. Was daft in retrospect to travel on long washboard roads (to nopiming prov park and back - very beautiful if you've never been) without anticipating flinging doors. Take care, safe travels, Paul
Old 09-01-2023, 02:19 PM   #15

Maybe we ended up with a good batch of hinges and catches but in all our travels the cupboard doors have never come open regardless of road surface.
Old 09-01-2023, 03:10 PM   #16

Hi Lyle, it's your neighbour Paul!

Lucky you! Have you been to Nopiming PP? We were at Tulabi Falls last weekend. Lots of dirt roads to and from our cottage near Lk Winnipeg. Give that a go sometime if you haven't yet and see if you can shake a door or two loose!

Happy long weekend,
Paul
Old 09-01-2023, 03:41 PM   #17

Quote:

Lucky you! Have you been to Nopiming PP? We were at Tulabi Falls last weekend. Lots of dirt roads to and from our cottage near Lk Winnipeg. Give that a go sometime if you haven't yet and see if you can shake a door or two loose!

Paul
Or Baja or the Alaska Hwy.

Ron
Old 09-01-2023, 03:48 PM   #18

I didn’t mean to come off as cocky, guys. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that my luck holds.

Pauly, it survived the Wallace Lake Rd. just fine. That’s a lot of pretty rough.
Old 09-01-2023, 04:05 PM   #19

Hi Lyle. I didn't read you as cocky at all! But I am a little envious of your good fortune and I hope that it lasts! I wonder if the newer hinges and catches are different or lesser quality?

Haven't driven on Wallace Lake Rd yet. If we travel that way, we'll be sure to buckle up (both ourselves and our cupboards doors lol).

Take care, Paul
Old 09-01-2023, 04:53 PM   #20

Quote:

I wonder if the newer hinges and catches are different or lesser quality?
I don't think so, the hinges and catches on my 21 appear to be the same as my old 19.

What is likely different is the way the different models ride. The 5.0 TA may ride smoother than a 19.

Ron