Hose storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2023, 09:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2023 21'Ne F2 (on order)
Hose storage

I’ve been storing water hose and electrical cables in front storage box ( I love this box!) but it’s kind of hard getting the hose in there. I have room in one of the outside hatches but I’d still just have to shove it in. Has anyone used a hose caddy inside one of the hatches?
Crows Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 10:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Our solution to water hose storage is to use 2 flexible hoses, one 15' long which stores nicely in our front storage box and another flexible hose of 25' which we carry in truck storage just in case we go a campground which has an oddly located spigot. I would say that almost always, the 15' hose is enough and is the one we use when camping.
Chama
(a river in New Mexico)
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 11:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows Nest View Post
.... Has anyone used a hose caddy inside one of the hatches?
IME hose / cord 'caddys' add unnecessary bulk and rigidity to these items; I just coil hoses and cords to a size that works for my storage areas and use commonly available velcro straps to keep 'em neatly coiled.

Just for your consideration, 'YMMV', Have Fun!
Old 12-28-2023, 11:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Likewise, I wrap my 25' and 50' hoses into about 16" coils than fit, along with a bunch of other stuff, in the upper front hatch of my 5.0TA.

I screw the ends together and that holds them in the coils.
Old 12-28-2023, 01:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I'm experimenting with a 50 foot "collapsible" hose. If carefully coiled it takes up 1/4 of the space of a regular hose. They are fragile so I don't use it under pressure - just to fill directly into the tank.

In addition I carry a couple of short and medium length hoses, keeping the shortest one in the most reachable spot since it gets used the most.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 01:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’m in the minority here, but it’s based on my experiences travelling the continent for 55 years by travel trailer. I have 2 sewer hose tubes and fill them with as much hose as I can. On the driver’s side I added a small hatch that carries a backup electric heater, work clothes, outdoor 12v led lights for rodent prone areas, and spare parts like water pump, fridge and furnace boards etc. On the passenger side hatch I carry 3 25’ electrical cords and 3 25’ water hoses plus a 10’. I keep a small potable water pump and various water and gas plumbing adapters. I also carry electrical adapters there. The small stuff goes in a small tub, and the cords and hoses go in a shoe tray. The front box holds a 120V extension cord and blocks and chocks. A level, a sewer flush hose, and sewer fittings bagged that don’t fit the hose tubes and batteries are there too. The back of the truck gets sewer jug, spare propane, water jug, and gas can. Chairs, screen shelter, hitch, grill, tools, auto fluids, fire starter, generator, and solar panel also go there. A ladder goes on the trailer bumper. We typically travel 3 weeks to 3 months at a time. Some trips, some of this doesn’t get used. Sometimes, some of the back of the truck items don’t get loaded depending on the trip. On other trips everything except a few spare parts and a few tools get used. I really have needed all of those cords and hoses in places.
Old 12-28-2023, 02:05 PM   #7

Trailer: SOLD: 2005 17A; was waiting on a 2023 21C; found a 2017 21C - YAYAYAYAY!
We use two of the Stromberg Carlson Hose Caddy's (one for our water hose, the other for our electrical hose) and they fit fine in our driver side storage - for our 21C, that means they are stored underneath the dinette seat. Have no problems getting them in or our of our storage door. Keeps our box free for storing other things!

https://www.amazon.ca/Stromberg-Carl...%2C126&sr=8-20
mlowther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 05:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I typically use a 25’ coiled hose that I purchased at (ugh) Camping World. It is very compact for storage. I also have a standard drinking water hose in the event the water spigot is further away from the trailer than the coil hose will reach.
Old 12-30-2023, 01:36 AM   #9
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
We purchased a flat and flexible hose at a Walmart last year. Then I found an unused extension cord holder and now I wind the hose around the cord holder just like it was an extension cord and it works great.
Attached Thumbnails
HoseReel.jpg  
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 07:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Marine supply chandlery hose

Transferred from my sailboat, I've used something like this as in the image. A thorough search of marine supply outlets may come up with one. It is compact, the hose flattens when reeled up and is a tangle free unit that take up little space and fits easily through my rear hatch. I also carry another 25' of regular water hose, coiled and contained with several bungee ties.
Attached Thumbnails
831029-15m-Flat-Water-Hose-Reel-1.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 09:23 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
IME hose / cord 'caddys' add unnecessary bulk and rigidity to these items; I just coil hoses and cords to a size that works for my storage areas and use commonly available velcro straps to keep 'em neatly coiled.

Just for your consideration, 'YMMV', Have Fun!
I agree. I avoid these so called convenience contraptions because they almost never work and end up in the trash or become a future garage sale item. I pay a little extra for a quality hose that does not kink and coils easy.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 10:32 AM   #12

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Transferred from my sailboat, I've used something like this as in the image. A thorough search of marine supply outlets may come up with one. It is compact, the hose flattens when reeled up and is a tangle free unit that take up little space and fits easily through my rear hatch. I also carry another 25' of regular water hose, coiled and contained with several bungee ties.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/a...0&d=1703943948
We used one of those for at least 10 years until the plastic broke on one end. We now use a X-hose 50’ collapsible hose.

Works for us,

Perry
Old 12-31-2023, 08:05 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
I've got two 25' potable-water hoses that I keep coiled up in the back outer (under seat) passenger-side compartment of our 21C, along with a outside-faucet stuff.

Accessories for sewer hoses go in the storage box on the tongue, along with bars for WD hitch, leveling blocks, hitch lock, etc. Sewer hoses go in tube under rear.

30A cables (2) go in rear drivers's side external storage, along with big torque wrench for lug nuts. My main toolbox goes in the back of the Expedition.

Front driver's side storage (under bed) my wife calls 'the garage', holds camp chairs, and other miscellany. I really want to get some gas struts to hold up the bed inside.
Old 01-01-2024, 12:04 AM   #14
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
We have two storage bags from IKEA: one for electrical and the other for our water hose. Inexpensive and easy to store and grab. We use larger ones for our bedding.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/knalla-...hite-00473693/
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 09:56 AM   #15

Trailer: 17 Lynx
Not only are these stainless steal hoses easy to coil up (small/tight) for storage, they are also easy to drain the residual water before coiling. When packing up I turn off the water supply, open the opposite side tee fitting nozzle, disconnect from camper, and pull and lift to drain.
Attached Thumbnails
SS Hose.JPG  
KITE_LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 11:20 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
^ the challenge IMHO, with the stainless steel hoses, is finding one that is durable. I've had several from Amazon that didn't make it the first year even with coddling; one didn't make it a month (paper thin liners). Whereas, the more expensive variant I purchased from Hammacher-Schlemmer I use for my business, and comes with a lifetime warranty, has survived 5+ years of heavy use.

FYI/FWIW.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:13 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17B 2021
I carry one 15' for water hookups and 100' collapsible to fill up water tank from shared spigots, both are very compact and fit in front storage box. 15' has a filter attached to it.
dosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 01:15 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17B 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by KITE_LIFE View Post
Not only are these stainless steal hoses easy to coil up (small/tight) for storage, they are also easy to drain the residual water before coiling. When packing up I turn off the water supply, open the opposite side tee fitting nozzle, disconnect from camper, and pull and lift to drain.
SS hoses have a thinner inner tube - that is why they coil up well. That is also why they don't last long.
dosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 02:38 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I use a couple lightweight plastic tote bags from Camping world....not expensive, easily fit elec cord in one and a separate for water hose, and contains them in the front box. They are by the checkout stand. Not as thick (dimensionally) as the ikea ones. They've lasted several years and are easy to replace.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:21 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
I keep a 50 ft Zero G collapsible water hose coiled up in a bucket

I keep my white 30 ft potable water hose coiled up in a shallow plastic container with hose attachments.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
zero G hose in bucket.jpg