Cell booster - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2023, 06:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 21'Ne F2 (on order)
Cell booster

I’m considering the Weboost drive reach cell boooster. Anyone had experience with this or another device? I’d rather not have to drill a hole into my trailer but this model seems to be the best option.
Crows Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 08:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have used a WeBoost cell amplifier a number of years ago, but have not tied it into my system in the last 2 years.

Instead, I added a second high gain rooftop antenna, and connect them both to my cell modem. Both my AT&T & Verizon modems have 2 antenna inputs that let them be used in a MiMo configuration. This has the advantage of increased data speed, and the gain provided by a roof mounted high gain antenna. The MiMo configuration can quadruple data speeds & I have not found anywhere that an amplifier would provide an advantage over the unamplified dual antennas.

I almost always have either AT&T or Verizon coverage, and the few places that are not covered by either don't get any better with an amp.

Unfortunately, MiMo is not compatible with cell phones since they no longer have any antenna inputs, let alone two. I can still use the cell modems with my cell phones since I have both phones set up for WiFi calling. With WiFi calling the cell phones use WiFi to connect to the cell modem rather than directly to the tower.
Old 12-25-2023, 09:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Exclamation MiMo on a trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
... Instead, I added a second high gain rooftop antenna, and connect them both to my cell modem. Both my AT&T & Verizon modems have 2 antenna inputs that let them be used in a MiMo configuration. This has the advantage of increased data speed, and the gain provided by a roof mounted high gain antenna. The MiMo configuration can quadruple data speeds & I have not found anywhere that an amplifier would provide an advantage over the unamplified dual antennas. ....
Thanks for this info, Jon! Could you provide more specifics about your trailer's MiMo dual antenna setup (the google search on your blog site yielded mentions of using MiMo but nothing on the hardware per se)?

I'd not heard of MiMo until your post, but upon investigating I find it is supported by the AT&T (ZTE) Wireless Internet MF279 Hotspot I use in my home with an Ethernet connection to my laptop and WiFi for my cellphone.

Perhaps this device with the MIMO antenna setup would be more useful than a cell booster in my trailer?
Old 12-25-2023, 11:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
Jon, I assume you had to drill some holes to mount those antennas, correct? I wonder if there are longer whip antennas that would work and that could be mounted on the bumper or something. The thought of drilling holes in the FG elicits an emotional reaction in me, similar to fingernails on a chalkboard!

Does the 2-antenna + modem setup result in greater cellular data usage, or is the MiMo just a sort of 'freebie' doubling effect of the signal strength?
Old 12-26-2023, 10:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows Nest View Post
I’m considering the Weboost drive reach cell boooster. Anyone had experience with this or another device? I’d rather not have to drill a hole into my trailer but this model seems to be the best option.
FWIW / FYI ...

I've used a WeBoost cell booster with a pole-mounted yagi directional antenna for my rural home internet data and phone voice service for many years (I live in a rural area with no cable/fiber service and poor cell reception inside my house). The WeBoost system has been reliable and robust, I'm very happy with it, so I'm a fan of the brand in general.

I've researched systems for trailer applications and came to the conclusion that the Drive Reach would probably be a good booster system for my 5.0. One thing to note - the Drive Reach ships with a 'wall wart' power supply which converts the 120VAC to the amplifier's 'native' 12VDC power input.

WeBoost sells a separate power adaptor that plugs into an automotive/RV style 12VDC outlet to power that unit. I do not know if that adaptor would be 'tolerant' of the occasional 14+VDC that an RV Lithium system might present to it (chat with WeBoost reps did not yield assurance of that). The 'wall wart' is rated at 3.0A/36W @12VDC output, giving a good indication of the maximum load the amp would draw when powered directly from 12VDC.
________

My own consideration of the WeBoost Drive Reach is now 'on hold' while I do more research on the MiMo approach mentioned by Jon. The MiMo approach is certainly very attractive if it can deliver similar real-world results at camping locations (obviously neither approach can work miracles when there's no or an extremely poor cell signal).

Among other things MiMo seems to avoid entirely the sometimes-troublesome separation requirements / interference issues associated with the outside vs inside booster antenna signals (MiMo used with a WiFi hotspot or router is not 're-broadcasting' a cell signal inside the trailer, so there's no potential interference with the outside antenna).

I'm now learning that MiMo can use a single purpose-designed external antenna (vs two physically separate antennas). I'm still trying to figure out if that convenient single-MiMo antenna type compromises the performance in comparison to using two physically separate antennas (?).

With any of these approaches one must route a cable from the outside antenna(s) into the trailer, so in that respect they are a 'wash', IMO.
Old 12-26-2023, 10:32 AM   #6

I added a pair of 9db gain antennas that did involve drilling holes, both for the mounts & antenna cable. If drilling holes upsets you, you could add a door type port add some poles for the antennas, and run the antenna cables through it. A bit of a PIA to set up each time, but only one larger hole!

As to whether MIMO is a better solution compared to an amp depends. The MIMO will usually increase data speed, and the outside antennas will likely increase signal strength compared to the internal antenna(s) in the modem. Still, addition height will usually also increase signal strength, so putting an antenna on a pole may be a better solution, particularly if terrain blocks the signal. Increased antenna height is always a good thing, but does require some set up time.

You may find that MIMO does increase data usage if you use apps like Facebook, YouTube, etc because more data will be downloaded before you even view it because of the increased speed.
Old 12-26-2023, 10:52 AM   #7

Quote:
I added a pair of 9db gain antennas that did involve drilling holes, both for the mounts & antenna cable. ....
Thank you, Jon. Where are your antennas mounted (same side, opposite side, of your trailer, etc?).

As to MiMo vs booster - I have the impression that you've used both in your travels but have found your MiMo system yields comparable results, at least in your highly varied trekking experience; is that a fair understanding?

Do you happen to have any information / opinion about using two antennas as in your setup vs one of the single Mimo antennas found on the market? Or perhaps the rated 'gain' of the antenna(s) should be the deciding factor?

Thanks as always for sharing your experience!
Old 12-26-2023, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Thank you, Jon. Where are your antennas mounted (same side, opposite side, of your trailer, etc?).

As to MiMo vs booster - I have the impression that you've used both in your travels but have found your MiMo system yields comparable results, at least in your highly varied trekking experience; is that a fair understanding?

Do you happen to have any information / opinion about using two antennas as in your setup vs one of the single Mimo antennas found on the market? Or perhaps the rated 'gain' of the antenna(s) should be the deciding factor?

Thanks as always for sharing your experience!
Antennas are on opposite sides towards the back of the trailer. Modems are in the upper rear driver's side cabinet. I have to replug the antennas when I switch modems.

I have found that adding the outside antennas adds a bar or two to the signal strength, and, as I have mentioned, as much as quadruple the speed. Using the amplifier only adds bars, but little in the way of speed. Overall, I prefer the results of the dual antennas, but I suspect one could find a situation where an amp would be the only way to make a connection. I haven't found that - I either have a signal, or don't get one with or without the amp.

I usually try both AT&T & Verizon, and use which ever works best or which ever I have more high speed data available. Between the two I usually have coverage, but different carriers may result in different results.

I suspect the pair of antennas work better than the single antenna since they are physically separated, but have never tried the single antenna to compare. Antenna gain is relative - there are so many different frequencies used that I doubt a single gain number means much. I found the ones I linked to are reasonably well made & work, but that could change as new frequencies are added by the cell services.
Old 12-26-2023, 12:34 PM   #9

Thanks again, Jon, all of that is helpful information.

In my case it'll be AT&T or do without, no worries. I'm inclined to give the MiMo approach a try with my already-owned hotspot for my casual needs, the dollar and effort threshold looks to be a lot lower than the booster approach for me.
Old 12-26-2023, 01:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
We have a weBoost in our Sprinter van. Cellular boosters (and the MiMo alternative mentioned above) only are beneficial in a very narrow band at the edge of a cell tower's coverage. Further from the tower and there is no signal to boost, closer to the tower there is no need to boost the signal. Very seldom is it a big benefit while camping. We find ours is most effective while driving to fill in weak areas as you drive from tower to tower. I would not buy one today.

We carry an inReach two way satellite text messenger to remain in contact with family both in coming and outgoing, or to be able to call for help in an emergency. The inReach annual safety plan is only $13 a month and definitely worth it.

If you absolutely need internet in remote areas Starlink is the way to go. Skip the weBoost.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 02:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
We have a weBoost in our Sprinter van. Cellular boosters (and the MiMo alternative mentioned above) only are beneficial in a very narrow band at the edge of a cell tower's coverage. Further from the tower and there is no signal to boost, closer to the tower there is no need to boost the signal. Very seldom is it a big benefit while camping. We find ours is most effective while driving to fill in weak areas as you drive from tower to tower. I would not buy one today.

We carry an inReach two way satellite text messenger to remain in contact with family both in coming and outgoing, or to be able to call for help in an emergency. The inReach annual safety plan is only $13 a month and definitely worth it.

If you absolutely need internet in remote areas Starlink is the way to go. Skip the weBoost.
MIMO provides a benefit even under strong signals. It makes use of multipath signals that might otherwise degrade performance and uses the multipath to add to the datastream received & sent.
Old 12-26-2023, 03:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post

are beneficial in a very narrow band at the edge of a cell tower's coverage. Further from the tower and there is no signal to boost, closer to the tower there is no need to boost the signal. Very seldom is it a big benefit while camping. We find ours is most effective while driving to fill in weak areas as you drive from tower to tower.
We've found it very useful for the travelling part especially if you really don't want to stop in a small town. Picking up the signal earlier and hanging on to longer is a plus.

However we've noticed that there seems to be less need for it now as cell coverage has improved.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 03:59 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
I usually try both AT&T & Verizon, and use which ever works best or which ever I have more high speed data available. Between the two I usually have coverage, but different carriers may result in different results.
Do you need two cell plans and two sim cards when comparing AT&T vs Verizon?
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 05:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
FWIW / FYI ...

I've used a WeBoost cell booster with a pole-mounted yagi directional antenna for my rural home internet data and phone voice service for many years (I live in a rural area with no cable/fiber service and poor cell reception inside my house). The WeBoost system has been reliable and robust, I'm very happy with it, so I'm a fan of the brand in general.

I've researched systems for trailer applications and came to the conclusion that the Drive Reach would probably be a good booster system for my 5.0. One thing to note - the Drive Reach ships with a 'wall wart' power supply which converts the 120VAC to the amplifier's 'native' 12VDC power input.

WeBoost sells a separate power adaptor that plugs into an automotive/RV style 12VDC outlet to power that unit. I do not know if that adaptor would be 'tolerant' of the occasional 14+VDC that an RV Lithium system might present to it (chat with WeBoost reps did not yield assurance of that). The 'wall wart' is rated at 3.0A/36W @12VDC output, giving a good indication of the maximum load the amp would draw when powered directly from 12VDC.
________

My own consideration of the WeBoost Drive Reach is now 'on hold' while I do more research on the MiMo approach mentioned by Jon. The MiMo approach is certainly very attractive if it can deliver similar real-world results at camping locations (obviously neither approach can work miracles when there's no or an extremely poor cell signal).

Among other things MiMo seems to avoid entirely the sometimes-troublesome separation requirements / interference issues associated with the outside vs inside booster antenna signals (MiMo used with a WiFi hotspot or router is not 're-broadcasting' a cell signal inside the trailer, so there's no potential interference with the outside antenna).

I'm now learning that MiMo can use a single purpose-designed external antenna (vs two physically separate antennas). I'm still trying to figure out if that convenient single-MiMo antenna type compromises the performance in comparison to using two physically separate antennas (?).

With any of these approaches one must route a cable from the outside antenna(s) into the trailer, so in that respect they are a 'wash', IMO.
Mimo is also a feature of 5g wifi
Multipl in and multiple out
Some routers have 2x2 some 4x4
Essentially channel bonding. I have had some experience with very long distance wireless bridges (55miles) that multiplex the signal then combine it on the receiver side.

A good cellular router has the ability to combine signals from two different cell carriers.
I’m looking at some now.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 05:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Do you need two cell plans and two sim cards when comparing AT&T vs Verizon?
I carry 2 phones & 2 cell modems, one for each service.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:31 AM   #16

Can I use a connector plug (like for cable tv) so I don’t have to permanently mount the antenna?
Old 12-27-2023, 11:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Can I use a connector plug (like for cable tv) so I don’t have to permanently mount the antenna?
Yes, one can use a 'bulkhead connector' with appropriate fittings to pass the antenna coax through the shell, then mount the external antenna however one likes ('temporary' or 'permanent').
Old 01-04-2024, 10:33 AM   #18

The MIMO antennas appear to have multiple cables. Do they get consolidated into one before going through the exterior wall? Does the hotspot need a cable connection? Thank you. My eyes start glazing over when I read articles about this stuff
Old 01-04-2024, 10:50 AM   #19

Quote:
The MIMO antennas appear to have multiple cables. Do they get consolidated into one before going through the exterior wall? Does the hotspot need a cable connection? Thank you. My eyes start glazing over when I read articles about this stuff
For the MIMO process to work, each antenna must be connected to an individual antenna input in the cell modem. If the hot spot does not have at least 2 antenna inputs, a MIMO antenna system won't be usable.