How to measure propane pressure for furnace - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2023, 07:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 19’
How to measure propane pressure for furnace

In troubleshooting my furnace issues I would like to measure my propane pressure for the furnace. I have heard it is best to do this at the frig. Can someone walk me thru how to do this? Or point me to a video.
I am thinking of buying this manometer:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GJWCKJ9...lig_dp_it&th=1

Thanks!!!
Videocrafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 07:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have that manometer and it works fine. I have always measured the pressure at the regulator but agree that some recommendations are to measure using the port at the refrigerator. I could never get the plug off the port at the refrigerator so did not force the issue and backed off to the regulator.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Some models of Dometic refrigerators have a port, some do not. So the sure bet is the regulator. The pressure is measured with 50 percent “draw” on the system. Since the refrigerator is just little more than a pilot light the usual thing I do is to turn on the furnace and get it running and then turn on a couple stove burners. Since I live at about 500 feet elevation, I set the regulator at 11.8 on the Manometer dial and that works good for me. Others at different elevations adjust until they get the results they desire. I am good up to about 6500 feet Elevation for sure. That’s where I just camped for 5 days in Wyoming and everything worked well.

I always have the Manometer with me . It lives in the bag with my Milwaukee tire inflator and my digital heat sensing gun. If I’m at a rally where you are you’re welcome to borrow it.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM   #4

Since I can’t run the furnace because it is not working would 2 burners be enough for a 50% draw?
Old 09-13-2023, 08:59 PM   #5

Hold it! I’m confused. If I disconnect one of the pig tails from the propane tank and screw in the meter then there is no gas running to the stove. What am I missing here?
Old 09-13-2023, 09:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videocrafters View Post
Hold it! I’m confused. If I disconnect one of the pig tails from the propane tank and screw in the meter then there is no gas running to the stove. What am I missing here?
Wrong side of the regulator. You need to measure on the downstream side with reduced pressure.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videocrafters View Post
Since I can’t run the furnace because it is not working would 2 burners be enough for a 50% draw?
Can you run the hot water heater?
This old post of mine might help…the cooktops listed are outdated but will still get you in the ballpark as far as BTU’s. Honestly though from experience as long as you measure 12” w.c. with nothing running you will be fine. It also goes through how to measure pressure at the fridge
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post260752
Old 09-13-2023, 09:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sure that would work.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That gage will work fine and other ones work well also.

There is a difference in the test port location between Gen1 and Gen 2. The Gen 1 test port was further upstream, more to the left of center.

The Gen 2 test port is located on the right side near the small black box, the solenoid. 5mm hex I think. You might have to undo a few screws and move a sheet metal guard.

Just did my friends brand new 17 and it's the same as my 2019.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0010_resize.JPG   IMGP0013_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 04:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Since it has not been mentioned, I would note that those with 12v compressor refrigerators obviously do not have a propane port at the refrigerator. IMO and in my limited experience, where the manometer is connected really doesn’t matter. I have the same manometer that Iowa Dave has (it works well) and made an adapter to use it on the QD port because I had the brass fittings to do so. Since the regulator itself is where pressure adjustments are made, it is somewhat inconvenient to have to move from one to the other. I recently purchased an acme fitting (the connecting point on all current 20 lbs propane cylinders) at Ace Hardware. I plan to alter my adapter to attach to one of the propane pigtails so that all I need to do is to disconnect one of the pigtails and attach the manometer so that I can observe the manometer as and if adjustments are needed. It will provide a quick and easy connection point.
Old 09-14-2023, 06:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I recently purchased an acme fitting (the connecting point on all current 20 lbs propane cylinders) at Ace Hardware. I plan to alter my adapter to attach to one of the propane pigtails so that all I need to do is to disconnect one of the pigtails and attach the manometer so that I can observe the manometer as and if adjustments are needed. It will provide a quick and easy connection point.
Not sure I understand this. This will put your manometer upstream of the regulator measuring tank pressure. You need to be on the low pressure side of the regulator.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not sure I understand this. This will put your manometer upstream of the regulator measuring tank pressure. You need to be on the low pressure side of the regulator.
Yes, you are correct. I wasn’t thinking clearly; definitely not the first time! I will just have to use one of my low pressure hoses and run it to the propane compartment where I can observe the manometer if/when I need to adjust the regulator again. The first time it was back and forth, back and forth until I got it where I wanted it.