need hard numbers 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2022, 07:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0
need hard numbers 5.0

Hey guys, first time poster here.

I have a four-wheel drive box truck called the Mitsubishi fuso that I'd like to put a camper on the back of and I have been looking at the scamp 19 or the escape 5.0. I have some questions for you owners that I'm hoping you might be able to help me with.

to the best of my understanding, the 5.0 sits on a welded frame that then has running gear attached to it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a 14' flatbed that's going to be made to width to support this camper. Imagine flipping it 180 degrees so that the 'loft' of the 5th wheel hangs off the back, a dirt bike will be hauled on the rear underneath.

1. What is the absolute bottom tub width and length assuming only the frame is kept intact, minus bumper, including propane tanks and jacks? Also helpful to have full length at the trailers maximum.

2. What is the height off the ground up to the bottom of frame? I can subtract this from total height to give me a ballpark figure.

Would love to see any frame photos if y'all have any. My goal is to have a setup I can jack up and drive out from under for full use of the flat deck ��
Attached Thumbnails
20220313_164042.jpg  
employee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Wow that should be interesting to tow with
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderBred View Post

If I can work out all the logistics I should be able to tow my fishing boat behind me, haul the motorcycle above that, and still have enough space to have the loft overhang. I'm working with a bed designer right now that will give me dual hitch receivers in the rear and my moto carrier hinges up on a jack system.
employee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:57 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Interesting idea. You realize the 5.0 is a fifth wheel. The neck may be high enough to extend over your truck cab, making any attachment at the rear much easier compared to turning it 180 degrees.
We don’t have our 5.0 yet. But on Escapes website for the 5.0 is a towing guide page that gives height dimensions at most critical points.
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Back in the day people used to camp with a big pickup with a Honda trailbike strapped to the front bumper, a big pickup camper so big it had helper wheels and then a large boat on the hitch behind that. As we would see them going down interstate 80, we would always say, “There’s some people going for the total recreation experience”.
Your plan sounds like a reincarnation of the concept.
Good Luck, Hope your supply of sticks or welding wire holds up. Sounds like much fabrication.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-26-2022, 10:54 PM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I've ridden in those cabover trucks. The're great for short hauls around town, but at highway speeds they're torture chambers. Bouncy!

Just say'in,

Perry
Old 03-27-2022, 02:20 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Noisy, too.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by employee View Post
to the best of my understanding, the 5.0 sits on a welded frame that then has running gear attached to it.
That's correct. The frame is 3" tall box section steel, and steps up by 3" under the dinette in the rear (the rear frame rail is overlapped on top of the main rail of the same size).

Quote:
2. What is the height off the ground up to the bottom of frame? I can subtract this from total height to give me a ballpark figure.
Someone with a 5.0TA in their driveway can get that... I'll just note that there will be some stuff (tanks, plumbing...) which hangs below the bottom of the frame, so you can't just assume that the frame can sit directly on a flat platform, even after the suspension brackets are cut off.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
I've ridden in those cabover trucks. The're great for short hauls around town, but at highway speeds they're torture chambers. Bouncy!
True, but there are motorhomes and expedition campers built on these trucks all over the world.
Old 03-30-2022, 05:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWCIL View Post
The neck may be high enough to extend over your truck cab, making any attachment at the rear much easier compared to turning it 180 degrees.
Without checking the numbers, I'm pretty sure that the front of the trailer isn't high enough for that. The backwards mounting brings the inconvenience of having the door on the driver's side and services on the passenger side, but it would allow a steep departure angle even with the motorcycle tucked under the bedroom loft, and the trailer's frame would probably be a good structure for carrying the motorcycle... since the loft will overhang the end of a 14-foot deck.
Old 03-30-2022, 05:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderBred View Post
Yes, for stability the hitch should be kept well forward (under the loft of the Escape), with a long trailer tongue for clearance.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Hey guys, first time poster here.

I have a four-wheel drive box truck called the Mitsubishi fuso that I'd like to put a camper on the back of and I have been looking at the scamp 19 or the escape 5.0. I have some questions for you owners that I'm hoping you might be able to help me with.

to the best of my understanding, the 5.0 sits on a welded frame that then has running gear attached to it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a 14' flatbed that's going to be made to width to support this camper. Imagine flipping it 180 degrees so that the 'loft' of the 5th wheel hangs off the back, a dirt bike will be hauled on the rear underneath.

1. What is the absolute bottom tub width and length assuming only the frame is kept intact, minus bumper, including propane tanks and jacks? Also helpful to have full length at the trailers maximum.

Would love to see any frame photos if y'all have any. My goal is to have a setup I can jack up and drive out from under for full use of the flat deck ��
This is from the Escape website towing compatibility guide.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Escape 5 measurements.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	61727

If your remove the pinbox attachment you might have clearance to have it face forward with the bed area over the cab of the truck. That would certainly look better.

More specs from the website:

Exterior Length: 21' 2"
Max. Exterior Height:10' Top of TV Antenna (9' 7" Top of AC)
Exterior Width 7' 4"
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote