PA title and registration - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2021, 06:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 5.0
PA title and registration

After many months of reading this forum and absorbing so much invaluable advice we would like to ask about anyone’s experience getting their trailer titled in Pennsylvania.
We are to take delivery of our 5.0 in Baltimore in about two weeks. We have tried to call the DMV and talked to the folks at AAA. We can’t seem to get a clear picture of how titling will go. Escape has let us know what documents they will provide and as soon as the payment goes through this week they will provide us with the VIN.
Will we be able to get temporary tags at least? I know many have driven their trailer home without one without any problems but we plan to head out West within a couple of weeks of getting the trailer. Any advice would be appreciated.
VictorPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I took my paperwork to local Pennsylvania dmv office and received my tags. Is there one in Collegeville?
Old 03-15-2021, 08:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Here's a document from PennDOT that explains the process to title an out of country vehicle.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...ts/fs-ieve.pdf

The necessary documents to title the trailer were provided by Escape when the trailer was delivered.
We have found that the speed of getting the trailer titled really can be hit or miss depending on how experienced the processing agent is. You may need to submit the paperwork more than once before the title will be issued.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Because you picking in Baltimore Maryland Another possibility is to check with Maryland DMV . They may offer a 30 temp tag for you to get it home.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Because you picking in Baltimore Maryland Another possibility is to check with Maryland DMV . They may offer a 30 temp tag for you to get it home.
Why do that? You run the risk of paying a transfer tax twice. Traveling without a tag is common with Escapes and I'm not aware of a single owner having issues doing that between pickup and taking the trailer home for registration.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Why do that? You run the risk of paying a transfer tax twice. Traveling without a tag is common with Escapes and I'm not aware of a single owner having issues doing that between pickup and taking the trailer home for registration.

No one said anything about paying tax twice. some states will issue a temp tag to let you transfer a vehicle out of there state. It would Be the legal way to do it . I know some owners have driven with no plates or switched plates (plates from a different) trailer like you did. But it is not legal. as with most illegal acts its not a problem unless you get caught. I would suggest to anyone that is thinking of doing this to call there insurance company and confirm if they will cover a unregistered trailer and call the authority's in the state that you will be traveling and ask if its legal. Honestly if it was legal to drive around with no plates why would anyone bother registering the trailer in the first place . People are doing this because they cant find another way to do it. personally its not a risk I am willing to take. Other may chose to ,But I think they should make a few calls so they truly understand there risk.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:09 AM   #7

Upon arrival in my home state, all that transpired was the transfer of the plates from one Escape to another and the registration/title was updated. Same plate vs a new plate. Oh, and additional sales taxes paid........
Old 03-16-2021, 11:34 AM   #8

Thanks for all your input. We’re heading to a tag place today to firm up the info. Previously the DMV in Norristown sent us to a tag place when we tried to title a utility trailer with them.
What about inspection? Does PA require one from the get-go or annually after receipt?
As you you can tell, we are new at this.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The one important thing I have discovered about NY DMVs (and I suspect it is true of other states) is that one should never accept results of the first visit if they don't get you what you want. A different DMV; even a different clerk at the same DMV can result in entirely different results.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorPA View Post
What about inspection? Does PA require one from the get-go or annually after receipt?
As you you can tell, we are new at this.

Yes, a PA inspection is required at registration and annually thereafter.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #11

The tag place just told us that once the documents are submitted we have to wait several weeks before we will get tag, title and registration from the DMV because it is an imported vehicle. Quite frustrating because we want to use the trailer soon after we get it.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorPA View Post
The tag place just told us that once the documents are submitted we have to wait several weeks before we will get tag, title and registration from the DMV because it is an imported vehicle. Quite frustrating because we want to use the trailer soon after we get it.
Totally agree. No reason why the process should take that long.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:46 PM   #13

I got mine the same day, walked in and out with a new set. I used Brimmers in York,Pa......
Old 03-16-2021, 07:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I got mine the same day, walked in and out with a new set. I used Brimmers in York,Pa......
That might make a little road trip to York worth our while....
We’ll still check with AAA one more time to see what their current stance is.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:10 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The one important thing I have discovered about NY DMVs (and I suspect it is true of other states) is that one should never accept results of the first visit if they don't get you what you want. A different DMV; even a different clerk at the same DMV can result in entirely different results.
As I am from NY I can certainly attest to that! What a story I could tell. Not all DMV agents know what they are doing or the law for that matter. On the opposite end of the spectrum, a supervisor spent some time jumping through hoops to fix a problem for me.
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote