Parking Hitch on Front - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2023, 12:42 PM   #1
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Parking Hitch on Front

Hi All,

We have a spot to park our trailer at home, but it is a tight fit, and tighter now that we have switched from a 19 to a 21C.

It was tight to begin with, but then we had the builder of the home add a gate to the rear driveway and the two 6x6 gate posts removed almost 12 inches of wiggle room, so its even tighter now.

I can get it parked, but it is always a challenge to ensure I don't scrape the trailer on either side as I back into the rear driveway. The backup camera helps to ensure I don't back the rear into the wall, but it does not do much for the sides which is where the real problem is.

Will a hitch mounted to the front of our truck make a difference? I think it would give me a better view and possibly better control over trailer movement while parking it.

Thanks!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 12:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
I don't have any first hand experience, but a friend of mine parks his ginormous toy hauler with a front hitch setup and a spotter. He swears by it and had told me he was never able to back it in but with the front hitch it is no big deal.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 01:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I've owned a truck with a front-receiver and yes it offers radically different maneuverability for placing a trailer.

Note I said "different" not 'always better'; while it provides much more 'rapid response' for trailer maneuvering you still have 'swing-clearance' and bumper-clearance to consider and while different from backing that may not always be better in every tight situation.

Just like backing, it takes some practice to get the hang of it. And yeah, you definitely must have a spotter, mirrors and even modern truck-cams are essentially useless.

I'd say if you can get a front receiver designed for your truck at a reasonable price, it's worth a try. It's getting harder to find bolt-on front receivers that don't require modifying the valence on many newer trucks (like my '22 F150; I do not have one on that truck). Be aware that it will almost assuredly reduce your truck's front approach angle if that's a concern with your use-habits.

Sorry if that's not definitive enough, but it's honest experience shared.

Good Luck!
Old 11-15-2023, 03:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Have you considered a trailer valet instead? Every situation is different, but it works well for us to get our trailer into our garage.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 04:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I'd say if you can get a front receiver designed for your truck at a reasonable price, it's worth a try. It's getting harder to find bolt-on front receivers that don't require modifying the valence on many newer trucks (like my '22 F150; I do not have one on that truck). Be aware that it will almost assuredly reduce your truck's front approach angle if that's a concern with your use-habits.
That makes me wonder if front hitch receivers can also have an adverse impact on proper airbag deployment depending on how they are mounted and the nature of the accident. Maybe only an issue if the receiver is used with a front rack for bikes, etc. I know that manufacturers make all kinds of warnings about front brush/bull bars being used on their vehicles.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
That makes me wonder if front hitch receivers can also have an adverse impact on proper airbag deployment depending on how they are mounted and the nature of the accident. Maybe only an issue if the receiver is used with a front rack for bikes, etc. I know that manufacturers make all kinds of warnings about front brush/bull bars being used on their vehicles.
That's a great question. I checked out etrailer to see if they had one for my '22 F150 and they do. No disclaimers or warnings which I would think they would have to post.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 06:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
That's a great question. I checked out etrailer to see if they had one for my '22 F150 and they do. No disclaimers or warnings which I would think they would have to post.
I agree that there does not seem to be any issue with crash / airbag deployment sensors or any other feature designed for safety of the truck occupants. I doubt that companies like Draw Tite, Curt, etc would offer a product having that sort of liability risk, with or without disclosure.

My mention was only to point-out the possible need to modify the front valance pieces on the truck to allow installation, which some folks might not expect or prefer, nothing more.

That requirement is noted for all three of the '22 F150 front receivers on e-trailer's website. In fact, one of the three states it "will work" with the auto-deploying air dam on my F150, one says it is "not intended " for that application, and the third states that air dam must be removed (that air dam is a mileage-improvement feature, not a safety / occupant protection feature). All three say air dam / fascia trimming is required. Some folks may be fine with that, No Worries / YMMV.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
I have a front hitch on my old Ranger, and it worked great for my tent trailer that I could see over, however when using it on a taller trailer, I can't see a thing except the front of the trailer. I knew a guy who put a front hitch that was biased to the passenger side by a fair bit so he could see down the passenger side of the trailer - he seemed to like that.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote