Propane at high altitude. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2021, 09:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Propane at high altitude.

Some recent furnace issues I had turned out not to be propane related, but some info came up in that discussion about propane at high altitude that I found very helpful so I thought I'd post my experience here on a separate thread.

Over the years we have had minor issues with propane appliances at high altitudes like 8-9000 feet. The fridge burner would go out or the flame would sputter. The hot water heater would emit a much stronger odor than usual when burning.

Thanks to the education I received here I understand now that at high altitude with less oxygen the flame will have too high a percentage of propane and too rich a mixture will not burn well. The fix is to reduce the propane pressure slightly to compensate.

Normally a manometer would be used to make a precise adjustment. Being on an extended camping trip and not having one I made a seat of the pants adjustment. There is a black plastic screw cap on the front of the pressure regulator. Under it is the pressure adjustment screw. With the gas turned off, I removed the cap and used a sharpie to mark the current position of the screw. Then I turned it 1/4 turn counterclockwise to reduce the pressure and replaced the cap.

We have been at 8200 feet for several days and the fridge and water heater are happy and working well. When we leave here I'll readjust the pressure regulator back to the normal position. If my fridge had still sputtered I would have tried reducing the pressure a bit more.

I am really glad to have this method available to try for a field expedient fix to a high altitude propane problem, it worked well this time and with a mark on the regulator it is easy to return it to the default setting.
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:41 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
It is nice to see some positive results in your furnace travails. I was not as successful as you in adjusting the water column. In my situation the issue was the refrigerator alarming during the night while at 9,000 feet. Furnace was functioning and did not notice fumes from the hot water heater.

In my case I did have a manometer and started testing. At the start the setting was 11. I started dialing it down in 1/2 column inch increments during my two week stay. I did not make a difference. I finally stopped at 9 1/2 column inches.

I do not have the same furnace or refrigerator as you, so comparisons are difficult. What is good about your experience is it can be done with ease. Such a quick fix it is worth a try.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Thank you for posting this. Very informative. High altitude is where I like to be. I haven't experienced any problems yet, but it is nice to know that there is a possible workaround.

I remember when we used to have to adjust carburetors on cars to get them to run right when at higher elevations. Some of my logger friends still call fuel injection systems "altitude compensators."
Old 05-07-2021, 10:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
David, you are my hero!
Old 05-07-2021, 10:26 AM   #5
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
I travel with a home-made manometer for this reason. I have found that the frig burner is the first propane fired device to be susceptible to high altitude given its low flow rate. Also the regulators being a cheaply manufactured device, the spring constant will change and can need periodic adjustment (yearly). For example, I adjusted my regulator a year ago to 11.5" wc (water column) and now it is at 12.5". Not a big deal, but it can change over time also. A manometer is also good for pressure testing the trailer to ensure integrity of the propane lines.

Glad your is working at 8200'.

2 cents
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Will definitely be adding a manometer to my toolkit after this.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Will definitely be adding a manometer to my toolkit after this.
I have one. Never carried it in the trailer until someone had a propane problem at the Niagara Wine Escape. Fortunately, Iowa Dave had one in his trailer. Ever since then, I keep mine in one of the outside storage compartments, but still haven’t needed it for the Escape (at least, not yet). They are available on Amazon.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
I live at 8,300' in the Colorado Rocky mountains west of Boulder. Here, in our driveway, I've never had an issue with our water heater, frig, or furnace. I have noticed at over maybe 9,000' elevation the water heater gives off a "bad" smell, probably an overly rich propane/oxygen mixture.

It sounds like a manometer is something I should get. What one might you recommend?
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have this model, can't say that I have used it enough to have an opinion. It works - I think. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:20 PM   #10
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
home-made manometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
I live at 8,300' in the Colorado Rocky mountains west of Boulder. Here, in our driveway, I've never had an issue with our water heater, frig, or furnace. I have noticed at over maybe 9,000' elevation the water heater gives off a "bad" smell, probably an overly rich propane/oxygen mixture.

It sounds like a manometer is something I should get. What one might you recommend?
A handheld model would store better than the home-made one I have. I built it when I had problems with our E19 frig constantly relighting one evening. We were one day's drive from home so after getting home I built one to diagnose what the problem was (i.e., it was regulator high pressure). If you go from 8000' to sea level, reasonable tool to have (along with fitting to tap into regulator test port).
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:52 PM   #11

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
manometer

Years go I had a problem while traveling in Colorado. I called a mobile RV mechanic and went to his house and he adjusted my regulator and solved the problem using a manometer. Later I bought one for myself. Later I sold a trailer and included a number of items including the manometer, I understand that same tool is making its way around Iowa, guess I'll need another if I have another problem.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote