Propane detector - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2021, 12:24 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Our detector replacement will have to wait.

This morning we parked at a near by trailhead prior to a planned hike. About 90 seconds after we pulled in a wind gust vortex of dirt and rocks hit the car and broke the driver's side rear door window. Official wx service reports said 110-115 mph winds were in the area at that time of the morning. A few hours later a major wildfire broke out in the south Boulder area. The trailer is now in the pre-evacuation area and our house is 2 miles just outside that zone. Fingers crossed...

Tomorrow has a major snowstorm scheduled. Lets just say the propane detector has a lower priority right now.
Yeah my son lives in Boulder he said it’s pretty scary with the wind. Fires out of control, hope the snow comes.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 06:39 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here I always thought of them as spade/butt connectors, two separate items, male and female?
Old 12-31-2021, 12:18 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here I always thought of them as spade/butt connectors, two separate items, male and female?
FWIW, crimp connector nomenclature used by some of us ...

Spade = typically 1/4" wide (other widths available) flat male or female connector (separable); female spade on a wire often used for interface with a male spade / blade on a device; male-female pairs can be used for an inline separable splice.

Butt = A single 'gender-less' round connector with wire crimps on each end (for a non-separable / 'permanent' inline splice)

Bullett = A male or female round connector, typically about the same diameter as a butt connector (male-female pairs used for a separable inline splice that's more compact than spade connectors, may lend better to wire harness-bundles than spade)
Old 12-31-2021, 01:05 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Spade = typically 1/4" wide (other widths available) flat male or female connector (separable); female spade on a wire often used for interface with a male spade / blade on a device; male-female pairs can be used for an inline separable splice.
What are the preferred pronouns?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 07:48 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
What are the preferred pronouns?

Ron
I don't post much but that is funny 😂
Doug-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:02 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
I was having problems with spurious alarms. Vacuuming the front helped for a while, but I'd get the alarm again. Several months ago I removed the detector and vacuumed the back of it. Since then I haven't had any alarms. Maybe that did the trick, or maybe that's how garlic works to keep were-wolfs away. Also, we have a kitty.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Since then I haven't had any alarms. Maybe that did the trick, or maybe that's how garlic works to keep were-wolfs away.
I removed my detector and installed a lighted switch beside it. I don't like "always on" devices nor parasitic loads.

Reinstalled the detector, flipped switch, and on came a red blinking light. Well, a bit of muttering and cursing and rechecking things and I couldn't get a green light. Left it for awhile and today decided to either get it working or buy a new one.

Removed it, disassembled it to check the internals, blew it out thoroughly and connected it to a shop power supply. Blinking red light.

Put it back together to put back in the empty hole (showing trailer tomorrow) and hooked it up one last time. Blinking red light. At the same instant that I
removed the wire from the terminal the green light flashed on. Thought I was seeing things. Maybe something like the green flash that sailors see at sunset. I'd read something about "after it warms up" so I reconnected it, blinking red light. Came back 5 minutes later and solid green. Pressed test button, worked. Duplicated the disconnect and reconnect and green light on.

Can't argue with success but what scares me is I was seconds away from having to tell my wife that by hooking up the on-off switch I'd destroyed the detector.

Ron
Old 01-16-2022, 05:50 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I removed my detector and installed a lighted switch beside it. I don't like "always on" devices nor parasitic loads.

Reinstalled the detector, flipped switch, and on came a red blinking light. Well, a bit of muttering and cursing and rechecking things and I couldn't get a green light. Left it for awhile and today decided to either get it working or buy a new one.

Removed it, disassembled it to check the internals, blew it out thoroughly and connected it to a shop power supply. Blinking red light.

Put it back together to put back in the empty hole (showing trailer tomorrow) and hooked it up one last time. Blinking red light. At the same instant that I
removed the wire from the terminal the green light flashed on. Thought I was seeing things. Maybe something like the green flash that sailors see at sunset. I'd read something about "after it warms up" so I reconnected it, blinking red light. Came back 5 minutes later and solid green. Pressed test button, worked. Duplicated the disconnect and reconnect and green light on.

Can't argue with success but what scares me is I was seconds away from having to tell my wife that by hooking up the on-off switch I'd destroyed the detector.

Ron

Oh Boy. I can see that look now. I run when I have to tell me better half that I have to replace something I broke. She’s from southern Louisiana and is a Cajun. So I strive to always keep her happy

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:22 AM   #29

Well, since I didn't break anything I thought I might as well tell her what happened.

As she walked away, I'm not sure but I think that I heard this faint "if it's not broken, don't fix it"

Ron
Old 01-16-2022, 03:44 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Some male Escape repairmen, one in particular who I know, have been known to walk away after they described a repair or improvement and were hit with a left field criticism. Quietly they mutter “inge”. It’s Never Good Enough.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-16-2022, 04:15 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 21 Escape
Hole in the wall!

My detector like to go off in the middle of the night... Not good! So I would blow on it or fan it, hit the button til it turned green and then go to bed!! Then, right when I got back to sleep it went off again.. the third time I got it and hit it and it went under the fridge at which time it decided to stay on green and that is where it still parked"

Anyone ever upgrade theirs? If so with what?
bonitaraders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:18 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonitaraders View Post
My detector like to go off in the middle of the night... Not good! So I would blow on it or fan it, hit the button til it turned green and then go to bed!! Then, right when I got back to sleep it went off again.. the third time I got it and hit it and it went under the fridge at which time it decided to stay on green and that is where it still parked"

Anyone ever upgrade theirs? If so with what?
How old is it? Your profile says "Casita."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:36 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 21 Escape
I am in a 2018 Escape 21..
bonitaraders is offline   Reply With Quote