Propane explosion below cooktop - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #41

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWtraveller View Post
We’ve called suburban with little help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
I think it’s time to send in the lawyers!
I hate to say it but I think you are right. This is clearly a huge safety issue with a product sold and installed across many makes/models of trailers. A lawyer may be what is needed to get their attention. I think NWTraveller is on the tip of an iceberg here. I really hope this is pursued for the good of themselves and the broader public. Dometic has an oven recall and this Suburban cooktop must be next!
Old 05-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
It was on Dec 9th 2020 that I sent in pictures of the problem to Dave and Paul as requested from my phone call with them.

On Dec 10th Dave Warren the service and parts manager replied back that he received the photos and would forward the information onto the engineering department.

Today I set them a follow up of what happened and referenced the previous emails. I am only doing this to keep the flow of what I documented alive with them so it does not disappear.

By no means do I want to over step the communication between Beth and Escape industries.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:30 PM   #43

The power of the people

I strongly recommend that anyone who owns this SDS2 cooktop express their safety concerns with Suburban! I don’t want to see anyone else get hurt.

Web contact form:
https://www.airxcel.com/rv/suburban/contact-us
Email:
smcsales@suburbanmfg.com
Customer Service Phone:
(423) 775-2131
Old 05-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #44

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Thank you for sharing your experience- I hope you heal quickly and feel better.

Your explosion prompted me to take apart my atwood 2 burner cooktop and examine the various connections. All in good condition including the threaded fitting. Plus it got a cleaning.

Thank you for that push to inspect.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:24 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
We also have the Atwood cook top as that what they installed in 2017. I suspect the general quality of these appliances are worse. So far all of our appliances have been perfect except for the water heater control board replace the first year. Just tested everything for an upcoming trip except for the water heater that will be tested after the trailer water system has been sanitized .
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:40 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We're doing a van conversion on a new Ford Transit. This episode confirms my desire to go induction for a cooktop and beef up the solar. I went looking for a better cooktop in 2015 and gave up and kept our Atwood Vision 2 burner. Over the years I've realized it is actually a pretty good basic cooktop. And unlike these new ones you have latitude on fry pan size.

https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-Dv20-b.../dp/B00B1ZH5L0
Old 05-03-2021, 10:56 PM   #47

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
And unlike these new ones you have latitude on fry pan size.

Or, maybe the new ones have to conform to new safety standards.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:46 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Or, maybe the new ones have to conform to new safety standards.
Unlikely. I believe Ross is referring to the raised nature of the older Atwood DV series cooktop whereas the newer recessed Suburban unit is more limited on pan size. To his point the Atwood DV model stoves have a 10" maximum pan size whereas the newer Suburban has a maximum of 8.75". The industry standard is measurement across the top of a pan so the base may be even smaller if it has tapered sides.

FWIW the Dickinson cooktop that some of us have installed has a maximum base size of 10" for the large burner and 6" for the small burner. Since Dickinson specifies base size in reality the pan size would be a bit larger if it has tapered sides.
Attached Thumbnails
atwood DV20 pan size.JPG   Suburban SDS2 pan size.JPG   Dickinson pan sizes.JPG  
Old 05-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #49

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Here’s a photo of the broken component from under the burners. The flange broke off of one end. We’ve called suburban with little help. I think we will be shopping for a new cooktop! My husband thinks he can make it so that we can use the other burner for now. I am skeptical. We are boondocking near Capital Reef and in the middle of our Utah experience. We have an outdoor grill fortunately. I am missing my morning coffee because we make it using our cooktop.

As an update, my injuries don’t seem so bad today. I have an area on my leg that blistered and opened at the time of the incident. Both of my legs had severe red and painful swaths covering about 50% of my legs. Also one arm had similar. Today, those areas seem more like bad sunburn than anything else. I do think that I may need a haircut. I think I’ll post a photo also of myself after the explosion as well.

I’m having a hard time figuring out how to attach photos. What’s the secret?
This is a very frightening experience, we sympathize. I had that very same experience , to a smaller degree and with minor damage 52 yrs ago with our very first trailer. Unforgetable and definitely makes one extremely cautious with anything gas forever.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:06 PM   #50

Trailer: 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I strongly recommend that anyone who owns this SDS2 cooktop express their safety concerns with Suburban! I don’t want to see anyone else get hurt.

Web contact form:
https://www.airxcel.com/rv/suburban/contact-us
Email:
smcsales@suburbanmfg.com
Customer Service Phone:
(423) 775-2131

Although I do not yet have my trailer, I have used the contact link rubicon provided asking what the company is doing about this problem (including the link to this thread).

If everyone would do similar...
JazzDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:28 PM   #51

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
All materials have limitations, and copper can certainly work-harden and so become brittle, if the tubing is not properly supported. The real problem in the aluminum wiring wasn't the aluminum itself, but compatibility with other materials in the connections.

In this case, the problem is apparently defective assembly leaving the valves unsupported and as a result the tubing being stressed and flexed. While a different material might help, it wouldn't address the root problem... and the root problem appears to be easy to fix.
Could you restate what the easy fix is? Somehow I missed it in the thread.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:59 PM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Could you restate what the easy fix is? Somehow I missed it in the thread.
Eggscape found that the nuts securing the control valves into the stove panel were loose. Tightening them provides the intended support to the valves instead of the tubing doing it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:33 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Been very happy with the Atwood, plus the metal cover works well for putting and induction cooktop when we have power
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:55 AM   #54

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Eggscape found that the nuts securing the control valves into the stove panel were loose. Tightening them provides the intended support to the valves instead of the tubing doing it.
Thanks, Brian.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:04 AM   #55

Trailer: 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzDad View Post
Although I do not yet have my trailer, I have used the contact link rubicon provided asking what the company is doing about this problem (including the link to this thread).

If everyone would do similar...

So far:
Thank you for filling out the Suburban Contact Us form. Someone will be in contact with you just as soon as possible.
[/SIZE]
[/B]

Please note: Emails are answered in the order received. Should you submit this form after 3PM EST on Friday afternoons, we may not be in contact with you until Monday. Should you need immediate assistance, please contact your local dealer and/or service center.

https://www.airxcel.com/
JazzDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:49 PM   #56

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA with a 2017 Dodgr Ram eco-diesel
Angry Today’s Update

I’m posting another update. I called ETI and and had a conversation with Dustin Dionne, After Sales Support. I felt that he was unsympathetic and pretty much uninterested in my issue. I described to him what had happened. He asked what I wanted from him. I told him that he should be aware that they are selling trailers with a potentially dangerous cooktop. He assured me that this is a good cooktop and that before the new trailers are delivered, the cooktops are pressure tested and that no trailers leave the factory with faulty cooktops. I asked him if he had read any of the forum discussions regarding this cooktop because I wanted him to know that I am one of several customers who have had similar issues. He said “I don’t read the forum.” I said I’ll send you a link to the forum discussion about this issue. He again said “I don’t read the forum.” I asked if he would be willing to read the forum discussion about this and he again said “I don’t read the forum.” I said “do you mean that if I were to send you the link to this discussion on the forum, you wouldn’t read it?” He said “correct”. I was pretty annoyed by then. He said that if I wanted to send photos of the damage I could. I asked if he wanted photos of the damaged part of the cooktop or my damaged body. He said only the cooktop. I sent the photo of the damaged part and that’s the last I heard from him.

I also sent a description of the event to the link rubicon posted for suburban. No response.

Meanwhile, my burns have blistered and have been weeping. Some of them are worse than I originally thought. I’ve been having to wrap my legs with gauze like a mummy. The skin is easily torn so it has to be covered. Surprisingly, it doesn’t hurt other than the places the skin has opened. I’ve been able to hike and bike so all is not lost, though I am trying not to push too hard. Tomorrow we visit Bryce Canyon. I’ve ordered a dometic cooktop from Amazon to be delivered next week to a UPS store on our way. I hope it all works out. We got a little campstove yesterday so we can at least make coffee.
NWtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:09 AM   #57
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
That's too bad. It's one thing to state their reasons for believing the cooktop is a good one, but quite another to show disinterest or disdain for folks who were injured by it. A little sympathy and concern goes a long way.

As a side note, it's kind of short sighted for them not to read the forum at least on occasion. Nothing is a better measure of real customer satisfaction than what owners are saying months or years after the sale. It's also a great way to identify potential areas of improvement. Is it a culture shift? If so it's not one for the better.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:20 AM   #58

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I have received no reply from Escape on the update I gave them 4 days ago.

To bad the Escape Rally was not in a few weeks where we could bring up the subject in person.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:45 AM   #59

Quote:
I’m posting another update. I called ETI and and had a conversation with Dustin Dionne, After Sales Support. I felt that he was unsympathetic and pretty much uninterested in my issue. I described to him what had happened. He asked what I wanted from him. I told him that he should be aware that they are selling trailers with a potentially dangerous cooktop. He assured me that this is a good cooktop and that before the new trailers are delivered, the cooktops are pressure tested and that no trailers leave the factory with faulty cooktops. I asked him if he had read any of the forum discussions regarding this cooktop because I wanted him to know that I am one of several customers who have had similar issues. He said “I don’t read the forum.” I said I’ll send you a link to the forum discussion about this issue. He again said “I don’t read the forum.” I asked if he would be willing to read the forum discussion about this and he again said “I don’t read the forum.” I said “do you mean that if I were to send you the link to this discussion on the forum, you wouldn’t read it?” He said “correct”. I was pretty annoyed by then. He said that if I wanted to send photos of the damage I could. I asked if he wanted photos of the damaged part of the cooktop or my damaged body. He said only the cooktop. I sent the photo of the damaged part and that’s the last I heard from him.
This is disappointing to say the least. Call and ask to speak with Karl Kenny the President. If he says he doesn’t read the forum ask him if he reads certified letters from lawyers. Just because a cooktop leaves their factory without leaks does not mean that a faulty design isn’t causing failures from the rigors of going down the road in a mobile application. This is the kind of thing that will erode confidence in Escape and Karl should be very concerned about that.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:20 AM   #60

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
NW Traveler,
please update your avatar to reflect your Escape model, thank you......