Propane pressure for BBQ and camp stove. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2023, 03:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape E23
Propane pressure for BBQ and camp stove.

I’m looking for advice on cooking and barbecuing outside with the propane quick connect on the trailer. I have always cooked most meals camping outside if weather allows. I have been using a small propane tank I would connect to my camp stove and grill but my new trailer has a quick connection on it. I believe this is piped after the pressure regulator and probably will not work with the units I have that hook full pressure directly to the propane tank. Are there portable grills and camp stoves that work off regulated pressure?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Unit # 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 05:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit # 1 View Post
I’m looking for advice on cooking and barbecuing outside with the propane quick connect on the trailer. I have always cooked most meals camping outside if weather allows. I have been using a small propane tank I would connect to my camp stove and grill but my new trailer has a quick connection on it. I believe this is piped after the pressure regulator and probably will not work with the units I have that hook full pressure directly to the propane tank. Are there portable grills and camp stoves that work off regulated pressure?

Thanks
Could you please tell us what grill and stove you are currently using. Many grills can be converted, but Coleman type stoves cannot be.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 E19
Some Camp Chef and Blackstone units have been mentioned in the past. Weber Q grills have a regulator that's fairly easy to remove.

I wound up buying a 15' hose that will attach to my tank, so I can use all my regulated appliances as is.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit # 1 View Post

Thanks
I have the Blackstone setup that I plug into my remote Gas setup.. 12' hose as recommended by forum members.. Other griddles and grills work too..
Old 11-03-2023, 08:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
It is correct that the pressure regulator attached to our trailers' propane tanks lowers the 120-200 psi (pounds per square inch) pressure in the tanks to about the 1/2 psi (equivalent to the weight of a 11" water column, WC) that's used for stoves, furnace, water heater, refrigerator and the outside quick-connect propane outlet.

There are lots of discussions on this forum about specific stoves and propane fireplaces that use or can be easily adapted to use propane at the pressure from the quick-connect. Typical brands include Blackstone, Napoleon, Camp Chef, Weber and a few Coleman stoves. However, many Coleman and similar stoves use propane at around 15 psi and don't work with trailers' quick disconnect.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 05:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
It is correct that the pressure regulator attached to our trailers' propane tanks lowers the 120-200 psi (pounds per square inch) pressure in the tanks to about the 1/2 psi (equivalent to the weight of a 11" water column, WC) that's used for stoves, furnace, water heater, refrigerator and the outside quick-connect propane outlet.

There are lots of discussions on this forum about specific stoves and propane fireplaces that use or can be easily adapted to use propane at the pressure from the quick-connect. Typical brands include Blackstone, Napoleon, Camp Chef, Weber and a few Coleman stoves. However, many Coleman and similar stoves use propane at around 15 psi and don't work with trailers' quick disconnect.
With all due respect, I will have to admit that what I stated in my post was not totally correct regarding Coleman stoves and that I am also inclined to disagree with the 15 psi statement. I would believe you meant 15 inches of water column. At the “challenge” of another member of the forum, I converted a no longer used and somewhat rusty Coleman stove to run on low pressure (11” water column). I did it by cutting the regulator portion of the Coleman’s proprietary connection and using a Pex crimp clamp to attach a hose with a male QD fitting. I then drilled out the jets to the next larger size than the micro-bit that fit in the Coleman gas orifice. The stove had a much greater range (it could go low enough to simmer and high enough to boil water fairly quickly). But I could not get the auto igniter to work so it had to be lit with a barbecue lighter. I do not recommend duplicating my efforts (do so at your own risk) unless you are dead set on using a Coleman rather than SOB, such as a Camp Chef that is designed to be used on low pressure.
Old 11-04-2023, 06:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 21
The Weber n small Blackstone too with us everywhere. Blackstone for breakfast n Philly steak samwhiches mmmmmmmmm Weber for grilling steaks n fish
Old 11-04-2023, 08:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2023 Escape E23
The stove I am using now is a Hillery camp stove and I am not sure what BBQ I have but both use high pressure.

After looking at the options mentioned I see I do have some options with removing regulators on some of the portable units.

I like the idea of getting long hose and running directly from one of the tanks and using existing equipment but that will require removing trailer hose and connecting another.

Thanks to all your help. I will probably continue carrying my small 2 gallon and using existing grills for now until I can check out my other options.

Thanks again for the ideas.
Unit # 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 11:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Rockhead, I'm wondering why you don't use your Blackstone for everything? I've not tried fish but steaks come out great.
Old 11-04-2023, 12:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
I know of 4 people, including myself, who are very happy with Napoleon BBQs. Just take the existing hose with regulator off and hook it direct to the regulated trailer source. I also know 4 who use the camp chef Ranger II stove the same way and are very happy. One finds something that works well and others copy.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 05:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Here's a link to a couple of propane regulators that will help explain in the description why many but not all Coleman and similar stoves will NOT work with the low pressure (1/2 psi, 12" Water Column) propane from your trailer's quick connect propane supply.

https://a.co/d/80bkoaF

Look at all the pictures and read all the descriptions. Both regulators (one with a metal hose and one with a rubber hose) connect at the supply end to either a 1-pound Coleman propane canister or a hose such as this one that connects directly (no additional regulator) to a larger propane tank.

https://a.co/d/5a2iRHO

As stated in the description in the first link, both of these regulators provide propane at 15 psi to compatible stoves. This pressure is about 30 times the propane pressure (1/2 psi, 12" WC) provided by your trailer's quick connect. That's why you can't use propane from the quick connect to fuel the stoves shown in the description without major surgery to the stove to drill out and enlarge components like the gas orifice.

There ARE plenty of stoves from Napoleon, Weber, Blackstone, etc, and even SOME (but not all) from Camp Chef and Coleman's Road Trip series that WILL work on the low pressure propane from your trailer's quick connect. Search Amazon for the appropriate adapter.

Here’s a link to another discussion of this topic here on the forum:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...html#post12617
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 10:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Camp Chef Ranger two or Ranger three. Comes with a removable regulator . You just buy the appropriate straight hose for the outdoor connection. It’s a nice product because you can use it both ways, with a 5 or 20 lbs propane tank, green small one with the regulator attached. Decent build quality. .
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 12:12 AM   #13

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
My travel buddy and his wife use a Camp Chef Yukon 14. He has a 18 ft hose on it and it works fine on the RV propane connector. Large burners with a nice well spread flame. He has a griddle that fits on one side of it also.

Only complaint is the legs need to be adjustable to level the stove.

Charles
Old 11-05-2023, 07:09 AM   #14

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Rockhead, I'm wondering why you don't use your Blackstone for everything? I've not tried fish but steaks come out great.
We like the grill as it cooks the steaks better for us that n the kabobs we cook a lot