Removing Captured Blind Rivets - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Removing Captured Blind Rivets

The door latch on my E19 broke, so I’m in the process of replacing it. I’ve the drilled the heads off and got the old bracket off of the trailer, but how is everyone removing the backside of the rivet to make clearance for installing the new rivets? The backside is captured by the foam backed vinyl on the interior of the trailer (see photos).

Right now the best option seems cutting small access slits in the vinyl to remove the rivet and then gluing the seam after installing the new rivets, but I don’t love this idea. Is there a better way? Thanks in advance for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
A51BAA7F-0D31-4801-A840-35AE47303709.jpeg   E01AD491-6BC0-47EF-A3F8-32D44E8B839C.jpeg  
Cconzelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cconzelmann View Post
The door latch on my E19 broke, so I’m in the process of replacing it. I’ve the drilled the heads off and got the old bracket off of the trailer, but how is everyone removing the backside of the rivet to make clearance for installing the new rivets? The backside is captured by the foam backed vinyl on the interior of the trailer (see photos).

Right now the best option seems cutting small access slits in the vinyl to remove the rivet and then gluing the seam after installing the new rivets, but I don’t love this idea. Is there a better way? Thanks in advance for the help!
I replaced the door latch recently on my trailer as well and after drilling the rivet heads, the back part of the rivets were stuck behind the rivet holes too.

I took a small screwdriver and pushed the leftover rivet parts out of the way of the new rivets going in and it worked out ok. I did use 3M 5200 as the sealant/adhesive for the new door latch - it probably didn't need the rivets after that stuff cured.

I did have to bend the end of the door latch arm to get it to latch properly.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210925_115018.jpg   IMG_20210925_115026.jpg  
Old 09-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I replaced the door latch recently on my trailer as well and after drilling the rivet heads, the back part of the rivets were stuck behind the rivet holes too.

I took a small screwdriver and pushed the leftover rivet parts out of the way of the new rivets going in and it worked out ok. I did use 3M 5200 as the sealant/adhesive for the new door latch - it probably didn't need the rivets after that stuff cured.

Thanks! I was able to get the backside of the rivets out of the way so the new rivets can go in, but you still see the old rivets through the vinyl on the inside.

I was going to use ProFlex to seal the new brackets to the body.
Attached Thumbnails
1F7519C3-DFC6-4913-BD13-79948A92EAFA.jpeg  
Old 09-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks! I was able to get the backside of the rivets out of the way so the new rivets can go in, but you still see the old rivets through the vinyl on the inside.

I was going to use ProFlex to seal the new brackets to the body.
It might take more effort than it's worth but you could remove the plywood below where the rivet heads are and go up behind the bottom of the vinyl to get the rivet heads out. The vinyl has a cut edge a little below the plywood and is lightly glued to the fiberglass. It will come up using something like a hacksaw blade to go between the fiberglass and the foam underneath the vinyl. Some spray adhesive will reattach the vinyl after you're finished.
https://www.amazon.com/Super-77-Mult...2596530&sr=8-9
Old 09-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post

thats a perfect use of 5200... Its tenacious but gets all over me and everything near the spot I'm supposed to get it on...
Old 09-25-2021, 03:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
thats a perfect use of 5200... Its tenacious but gets all over me and everything near the spot I'm supposed to get it on...

My solution: applicators made from plastic coffee stirrers from the fast-food place, or plastic steak "rare/medium/well" label spears from your fav. restaurant. I've also used cut-down popsicle sticks.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
My solution: applicators made from plastic coffee stirrers from the fast-food place, or plastic steak "rare/medium/well" label spears from your fav. restaurant. I've also used cut-down popsicle sticks.
I like it! Good idea...still think 5200/4200 are the devils work,lol
Old 09-25-2021, 06:26 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the help! I was able to remove the dinette bench and get my hand behind the vinyl to remove the old rivets. The vinyl laid fairly flat when I buttoned everything back up. It’s not perfect, but I’m happy enough. I’m glad I didn’t need to cut the vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails
475B501F-BC51-4693-BFE2-8E5F529D4260.jpeg   E7113DDF-CBC4-4C2A-9E3A-A3E3F1F375EE.jpeg   CFB09E0D-304A-489E-B3A4-C7B23D49B35E.jpeg   5FB014A9-9225-4E14-BB9B-0330AF0F23EF.jpeg  
Old 09-25-2021, 06:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the help! I was able to remove the dinette bench and get my hand behind the vinyl to remove the old rivets. The vinyl laid fairly flat when I buttoned everything back up. It’s not perfect, but I’m happy enough. I’m glad I didn’t need to cut the vinyl.
You're more than welcome.

Don't be a stranger and if you need anything else, there are a lot of helpful people here.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
very good work!