Replacing gas hose to fridge - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2024, 10:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 17a escape
Replacing gas hose to fridge

The gas line to the fridge has cracked and is leaking gas so I need to replace it. I am wondering if anyone has done this before? I tried pulling the old hose out from the bottom of the trailer, but it didn’t want to come out. I also tried from the fridge end, but still no luck. The hose seems to bend through the hollow interior section of the wheel well and I am wondering if it is attached to the trailer somewhere along the inside. If I am having this much difficulty pulling the old hose out, I fear getting the new hose back in will be impossible. Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I am also wondering how long this hose is. My trailer is a 17 A.

Thanks
Ivan Desjardins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Though my 5.0 is a very different trailer, I found that accessing that hose required laying on the floor and undertaking the awkward process of removing (by prying) the stapled-in-place trim and back-panel inside the cabinet below the fridge.

That provides access to the area over and to the inside face of the wheel well, and to the point where the hose penetrates the floor of fridge cabinet above and the point where it penetrates the trailer floor / shell.

The hose is 'sealed' with a shot of spray foam both where it penetrates the floor of the fridge cabinet and where it penetrates the trailer floor. That foam can be 'carved out' with a narrow 'Xacto' knife blade.

None of this is particularly easy, the workspace is very awkward, but it is do-able, and IMO likely the only way to extract the hose which is without 'joints / fittings' between the fridge and the exterior of the trailer shell under the bottom. Upon extraction the hose can be measured for replacement and a new hose routed through this circuitous path.

I don't envy you the task, but it seems necessary if your hose has developed a leak. Maybe someone else has an easier solution. Good Luck!

BTW, I gained access to that area for the purpose of routing electric wires, not for R&R of the propane hose which was exposed in that process.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Nice accurate description of the situation.

The panel may have a bit of glue also. But careful prying will remove it more or less intact and it can be replaced. Or, it can be left off for a larger storage space.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 17a escape
Just wanted to thank you for your advice. I was able to access the hose by doing exactly what you had suggested. By removing the panels in the cabinet underneath the fridge, I could easily access the gas hose. It was attached to one of the inside studs with a plastic bracket. I don't see why ETI would do this. What should have been a quick job took me the better part of the day. Had you not responded to my post, I think I would still be at it. Thanks again for your advice. Have a great weekend.
Ivan Desjardins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
You're quite welcome, I'm glad to hear you got it worked out, enjoy your weekend, too!

Tags
gas hose replacement