Replacing Interstate Flooded Batteries - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2021, 06:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Replacing Interstate Flooded Batteries

During our Fall trip east, I discovered moisture on the floor of the storage area near the batteries on 5.0TA, and some badly corroded padlocks that were stored there. I decided it was finally time to replace the Interstate GC2-ECL-UTL flooded cell batteries. Based on previous discussions on this forum, I ordered two Lifeline GPL-4CT AGM batteries from Battery Guys in Arizona for $360 each, including shipping. They were waiting for me when I got home.

When I removed the Interstate batteries, I found a grey sludge in the bottom of the battery box (picture below). Knowing this was probably acidic, I used water and baking soda to clean out the mess, and there was a lot of bubbling and fizzing.

The battery box had been secured to the floor with pop rivets and one screw, which had all corroded away. When I lifted the box, I found a lot of corrosion by-product from the frame attachment bolt located under the box. I cleaned everything as well as I could with more baking soda and water, and re-attached the box with two new screws.

The new Lifelines fit perfectly. I only had to enlarge the notch where the cables entered the box because the posts are in a slightly different location.

I had expected the main challenge to be the weight of the batteries, but that wasn’t too bad. Most of the work was cleaning up the mess from the old batteries. I don’t see any leaks in either battery case. My only theory is that at some point I over-filled one or more cells, and liquid escaped from the caps, even though I believe I always closed them as much as possible.

In any case, I am now happy to have sealed batteries that won’t leak acid. I only wish I had done it sooner.
Attached Thumbnails
20211107_154424.jpg  
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
A moving earthquake

As Donna has said, that's what a trailer is....going down the road. One way or another, it does appear some electrolyte escaped into your Escape. You remedied the issue. Just baby those new batteries.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I had my battery box break loose. I had my local machine shop build a frame that could be attached to the floor and included straps to hold it down . I don’t know if agms leak, but penetrating the battery box is not a good idea with lead acid.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post

The battery box had been secured to the floor with pop rivets and one screw, which had all corroded away. .
Interesting, my 2015 had 12 screws with washers holding the battery box, keeping the weight of 2 lead acid batteries from shifting going down the road.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Interesting, my 2015 had 12 screws with washers holding the battery box, keeping the weight of 2 lead acid batteries from shifting going down the road.
When mine broke loose it was clear that the box was secured from underneath the plywood. Probably as the floor was installed. It was not serviceable as designed and the screws corroded and broke. My solution was a frame with strap loops and a marine grade battery box. It was a bit overkill but it will never move.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
RWS

Trailer: 2014 escape 21
Did you have to change any settings going from flooded to agm style battries?
RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS View Post
Did you have to change any settings going from flooded to agm style battries?
If any of your charging devices have an equalization setting, turn it off if your AGM manufacture specifies so (most AGM's say to avoid equalization).
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
I only changed the setting on the solar panel controller from Flooded to AGM.
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote