Rock Guard repair - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Rock Guard repair

Hey all, we are trying to recover from our “idiot mistake” of leaving the rock guard slightly ajar on a trip, which threw it out of whack. We managed to get in mainly back in place, but it doesn’t close snugly on one side. See this video for details.

https://vimeo.com/444371084/a428b343f6

Would you be concerned about this - or do you think it’s secure enough for the road? If it still needs adjustment, any idea what we should try?

Best and thanks, Elizabeth
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #2
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
Hey all, we are trying to recover from our “idiot mistake” of leaving the rock guard slightly ajar on a trip, which threw it out of whack. We managed to get in mainly back in place, but it doesn’t close snugly on one side. See this video for details.

Would you be concerned about this - or do you think it’s secure enough for the road? If it still needs adjustment, any idea what we should try?

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for sharing. I know it's only a matter of time until you'll be hearing about our inevitable 'idiot mistake' soon! I was expecting your rock guard to be in worse shape but after watching your video it looks really good...but I understand your concern about the small gap you pointed out when pressing on it.

I recently discovered one of my rock guard nobs a bit loose so I took a wrench and tightened it back up on the inside. If you haven't already done so, check to make sure the nob is tightened. If it is, then maybe you could try adding a washer or two next to the nut to tighten things up so the lever has a snug fit?? If both levers are on tight when locked down, that would be good enough for me...but just my 2cents. Best of luck with this! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
From what I could see in the video I don’t think you need to be concerned, just make sure you stay under the speed of sound.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 19'
Ours as a small amount of "give" like yours. When you turn one of the two knobs, a flat steel bar rotates into a slot on the window frame. If it goes into the slot, you are secure.
Dave Rosebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Elizabeth just took a look at ours and I think you will be Ok . Take a look at the latch maybe was just a little bent or where it latches ? As Bea said make sure the screw is tight . You could maybe just bend the latch a little . But I think you are fine . In fact when we are home because water sits in there we undo the latches with the bottom out a little . We sometimes get winds here and has not ever been a problem . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
F759B9D1-57A8-4B6E-A2CD-52BF1ACDA503.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Super helpful and reassuring everyone! I might try the washers on the lever and toying a tiny bit with that but mainly looks like we are finally good to go!

I do think FYI that it's still a tiny bit bent on the top, but at this point trying to get that straightened probably will just make something else loose, so time to have a beer and celebrate victory!

xoxo
Elizabeth
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Back-up lock-down

You could always add a tab of wood, plastic or metal, sized and shaped and properly placed that would be screwed into the outer frame and hold the side of the guard that doesn't seat properly. I wouldn't, but I would still try to straighten out what you have. Place a straight edge on the guard frame lengths to note any bends. Judicious bending may help the guard seat properly.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Super helpful and reassuring everyone! I might try the washers on the lever and toying a tiny bit with that but mainly looks like we are finally good to go!

I do think FYI that it's still a tiny bit bent on the top, but at this point trying to get that straightened probably will just make something else loose, so time to have a beer and celebrate victory!

xoxo
Elizabeth
If I really remember you undo the screw and you can remove the metal latch , give it a little bend , then put back on , tighten your screw . If it is where it locks sometimes a pair of locking pliers will bend it out . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:06 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Speaking of rock guards, a previous owner before us applied a now- melting layer of caulking dripping down from the rock guard. I know another poster warned everyone not to use reg'lar ole caulking on a these trailers. May I have the name of the proper type of caulking that SHOULD have been used? I need to scrape off the gunkus that is melting in the sun and replace it with proper stuff.

One other point: We do not have a front tool chest to protect the trailer from rocks thrown up. Instead, we have the original padded "skirts" that snap on. Since the originals were pretty used up, I took them to a local auto upholstery person who created spiffy new ones with super padding. They are perfect and all for $100! Very pleased with that work!
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
Speaking of rock guards, a previous owner before us applied a now- melting layer of caulking dripping down from the rock guard. I know another poster warned everyone not to use reg'lar ole caulking on a these trailers. May I have the name of the proper type of caulking that SHOULD have been used? I need to scrape off the gunkus that is melting in the sun and replace it with proper stuff.
Emjay: We have had good success with ProFlex RV by Geocell.
https://www.campingworld.com/proflex...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 08-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #11

Ahhh! Thank you. I'll be working on the replacement/repair this week!

Emjay
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote