RV Awning Travel Lock - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #101
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
yeah, I didn't mean to imply the strap would solve the broken roller-ratchet issue which apparently caused your unfurlment.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #102
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't seem to have a problem.
.... yet.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #103

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Trailer was picked up in 2008. If something happens, awning is probably due for replacement anyway.
There are dozens of rare events that could affect the trailer, or the tow, that I'm not going to fret about.
A tree could fall in the forest.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #104

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Just out of curiosity, I’d be interested in knowing if ETI has tracked this issue as they have done on some issues. So far, CP and Old Timer are the only ones I recall reporting this here. Any others had this happen?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #105

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
To me if there weren't an issue this product wouldn't sell. Several here including myself have had the awning deploy and probably during a strong side wind as we did.

Also, I have to discount those who propose (as ETI did with me) that it somehow must be operator error. I also discount those offering opinions in this matter who tows a limited amount within a limited geographical area.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #106

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Just out of curiosity, I’d be interested in knowing if ETI has tracked this issue as they have done on some issues. So far, CP and Old Timer are the only ones I recall reporting this here. Any others had this happen?
Greg from our experience the awnings are not as stout as they once were . You can go on the internet and find it is a problem even power awnings on expensive Class A's . The manufacturer's ignore it like pretty much everything else made for RV's . I forgot it keep happening on our previous camper . Just going down the road and for whatever reason the springs would just unwind . This is just insurance and the straps also are a good idea for the arms , just in case when you roll up your awning and it doesn't latch . The camper was Carefree . Our motorhome was A&E . We have always strapped the arms . The A&E was a lot more robust but that was almost 30 years ago . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:35 AM   #107

I agree, Pat, was just curious if there were more than two Escapes this had occurred on.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:10 AM   #108

Quote:
I agree, Pat, was just curious if there were more than two Escapes this had occurred on.
Unfortunately Greg I don't think we will ever know that answer for Escapes because have to be over 2 thousand by now . We are 792 back in 2013 . We never see or hear from all the owners on the forum . Many never go on the forum . Once met a fellow camper with his new 19 in Oregon and he had lots of problems . He was going home . I tried to talk to him , ask on the forum , call Escape etc. he just didn't want to . Another in California with their new 21 . I was scared at first too but some just want to stay private . Pat
Old 06-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #109
Site Team

my 21, the original owners had the awning come unfurled on the road, but they were unclear as to why, and it still has the original roller, they only replaced the awning fabric... they had added straps to prevent future occurrences. I conjecture the open/close lever was in the wrong position since the ratchet lock is still working fine.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Greg from our experience the awnings are not as stout as they once were . You can go on the internet and find it is a problem even power awnings on expensive Class A's . The manufacturer's ignore it like pretty much everything else made for RV's . I forgot it keep happening on our previous camper . Just going down the road and for whatever reason the springs would just unwind . This is just insurance and the straps also are a good idea for the arms , just in case when you roll up your awning and it doesn't latch . The camper was Carefree . Our motorhome was A&E . We have always strapped the arms . The A&E was a lot more robust but that was almost 30 years ago . Pat
Yesterday finished installing our awning lock .
Followed Chris R . picture of the plate he made for the awning lock .. Had no measurements except that I needed 3 in aluminum flat plate that was 1/8 in thick . Just in case also ordered 4 in , but it was the 3 in in height that I ending up using .. By looking at the picture figured 5 in in length was good . The plate . from the awning lock that I removed used to transfer holes on my new plate . The rest was just looking at Chris R picture and following that . The picture of the plate is a work in progress . Need to drill holes for attachment to trailer .Really like that it is mounted out of the way and much stronger mount now .
Decided to not paint at this time . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
47127A90-8614-4E18-934F-8DC9C41CE4FB.jpg   94541EFF-9D2B-4964-A509-1288891AFC59.jpg   392FFB32-2BC8-4402-A913-42287F1BA635.jpg  
Old 06-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #111

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Looks great Pat! Still prefer a manual awning and glad ETI now offers a choice. With manual awnings after having one start to unfurl I wouldn't travel without an RV Awning lock now and feel much safer having one. Escape should offer these as an option IMO.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #112

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Unfortunately Greg I don't think we will ever know that answer for Escapes because have to be over 2 thousand by now . We are 792 back in 2013 . We never see or hear from all the owners on the forum . Many never go on the forum . Once met a fellow camper with his new 19 in Oregon and he had lots of problems . He was going home . I tried to talk to him , ask on the forum , call Escape etc. he just didn't want to . Another in California with their new 21 . I was scared at first too but some just want to stay private . Pat
I really appreciate all the discussion on the forum about the various problems people encounter. I realize that almost any problem or issue will only affect a small percentage of Escape owners, but I sure do like being aware of all the potential issues so that when something does eventually break or go wrong on ours I'll already have some familiarity with it...and maybe even have the spare part in my toolbox. And I don't think I've ever seen a problem or issue raised that knowledgeable forum members didn't respond to and help resolve very quickly, this is a terrific group.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Looks great Pat! Still prefer a manual awning and glad ETI now offers a choice. With manual awnings after having one start to unfurl I wouldn't travel without an RV Awning lock now and feel much safer having one. Escape should offer these as an option IMO.
Thanks Ross ! Yes love the manual awning and wouldn’t want to change , no way .
Ross I think the responsibility falls with the manufacturer of the awnings . The awning manufacturer should have a substantial lock that won’t let the awning unwind . Maybe I am wrong . Never happened to us but glad we have extra insurance now . Pat
Old 06-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I really appreciate all the discussion on the forum about the various problems people encounter. I realize that almost any problem or issue will only affect a small percentage of Escape owners, but I sure do like being aware of all the potential issues so that when something does eventually break or go wrong on ours I'll already have some familiarity with it...and maybe even have the spare part in my toolbox. And I don't think I've ever seen a problem or issue raised that knowledgeable forum members didn't respond to and help resolve very quickly, this is a terrific group.
Agreed David . Pat
Old 06-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #115

Very nice work, Pat. I’ll get a closer look at it at the Q if ur coming over again in Feb. You need to start designing the winning hot dog roaster, only 7 months left.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #116
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm following this RV lock mod with interest. Is anyone concerned about moisture possibly being introduced into the tube because of the hole drilled? I realize the hole is drilled on the bottom, but where is it when the lock is disengaged and the awning deployed? Hummmm.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #117

Quote:
Very nice work, Pat. I’ll get a closer look at it at the Q if ur coming over again in Feb. You need to start designing the winning hot dog roaster, only 7 months left.
Definetly Greg ! And Thankyou ! Pat
Old 06-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm following this RV lock mod with interest. Is anyone concerned about moisture possibly being introduced into the tube because of the hole drilled? I realize the hole is drilled on the bottom, but where is it when the lock is disengaged and the awning deployed? Hummmm.
Donna there are other places for water to get in . Even the end where the manufacturer awning lock is , isn’t sealed . Also there are a couple holes at each end to put a little oil in which is maintenance from manufacturer . When we had a previous motor home , had to drill holes in tube for spring poles to mount for a screen room . Had motor home for 12 years and never had a problem . Of course the awnings were built stronger . The next awning , on our camper , Carefree too , kept unwinding , going down the road . After awhile got very tired of that and pulled the springs and installed the pioneer kit . Had that camper 12 years too. Just in case will call and ask , but I don’t believe it’s a worry . I’ll post their answer . Pat
Old 06-16-2019, 09:14 PM   #119
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks Pat! I'm just rabid about rust. Right now I'm dealing with a frozen tongue jack because of rust.... not Ten Forward! I'll look forward to the answer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:18 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thanks Pat! I'm just rabid about rust. Right now I'm dealing with a frozen tongue jack because of rust.... not Ten Forward! I'll look forward to the answer.
Your welcome Donna and remember oil is your friend ! Pat