Slowwww battery charge - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Interestingly I don't see any mention of the battery isolation switch in the manual.
I am not really surprised, as it's operation (at least to me) seems kinda obvious, but just as obvious is that a couple people have not seen it as clear.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
mine says "Battery Disconnected" and "Battery Connected", which seems pretty obvious to me.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #23

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
We have camped at Bodega Bay for years mostly visiting in late winter and early spring. While we experienced some wind and rain, for the most part the weather was comfortable. Last year, for the first time, we visited in summer (June) and the winds were ferocious, starting early and strengthening as the day wore on. Talked to a native who explained, “We call it Blowdega.”
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
We have camped at Bodega Bay for years mostly visiting in late winter and early spring. While we experienced some wind and rain, for the most part the weather was comfortable. Last year, for the first time, we visited in summer (June) and the winds were ferocious, starting early and strengthening as the day wore on. Talked to a native who explained, “We call it Blowdega.”
I'll let you know if it blows (so to speak).
Sherm2954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
My battery cutoff switch is not marked, but there is no confusion at all as to how to use it. When it is flipped in one direction, all of the 12V lights and systems function in the trailer. When it is flipped in the other direction, they don't function. Simple....no confusion.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Jim: I don't think early trailers had any labeling at the switch. The label you show is helpful. I think the confusion stems from no labeling and thinking about it as a disconnect and thinking that with the disconnect "on" then the power is off and then with the disconnect "off" means the power would be on. I even got confused writing it
There is no label on our 2013 . I made a clear cover to protect the switch from breaking (Myron's idea ) to help see I put a red dot and black dot on the side to help . Now really want to move it and change out to a better on and off switch . Having the label though would of been nice . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #27

I have had no issues with the stock switch, other than accidentally turning it off before. I bet if someone wanted the labelling that Escape uses you could request it from them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have had no issues with the stock switch, other than accidentally turning it off before. I bet if someone wanted the labelling that Escape uses you could request it from them.
Really want to move it . Many broke the switch so was glad when Myron had a solution to protect it . My complaint is having to go under table to use switch . That's the reason for wanting to move it . Pat
Old 04-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
Experienced that weather coming back from a So. Oregon trip and went inland to Guerneville and Parker's RV Resort. We hardly ever stay at private campgrounds, however would stay there again. Casual and owners are relaxed & accomodating. They let us stay in a tent site for $43, and even let us go to their "overflow" as we liked it better.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Escape uses an integrated power centre, which is pretty common. Many RVs (including my motorhome) have the converter-charger separate from the the distribution panel, so it could be connected to and charge the battery while the loads are all isolated by the storage switch; in that case you apparently would not be smart enough to choose the correct setting.

It is interesting to know that other forum members who have not understood the operation of this switch are not as smart as "most everyone". I just assumed they were unfamiliar with electrical systems.
So, what is your purpose with this being posted. If it is to further confuse those who say they stay away from posting because of how over technical things can become, it is likely working.

Oh, and good job on twisting my words to mean what you want them to.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #31

You could like I did add inline a switch to turn off solar to battery and controller to battery thanks to David 's advice . So I can shut everything down if I want or need to . To not have a on and off sticker and have to climb under the table and it is in the corner which you can't see is the reason to move the switch . Pat
Old 04-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape
Everybody is right on the battery disconnect conundrum. Those who say there is no confusion are right because they understand how to set the switch in their own trailers. Those who point out how it is confusing are right because it is not clear at all on this forum what someone means when they give the instruction to "turn on the battery disconnect switch".
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't have one. Problem solved.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #34

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Everybody is right on the battery disconnect conundrum. Those who say there is no confusion are right because they understand how to set the switch in their own trailers. Those who point out how it is confusing are right because it is not clear at all on this forum what someone means when they give the instruction to "turn on the battery disconnect switch".
Maybe I'm slow, but I always find it a little odd to turn on a switch to make it not do something.
Sherm2954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:03 AM   #35

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't have one. Problem solved.
Me either. I’m a second owner so when this first came up, I crawled all over the place thinking I was missing something. Not all trailers have them apparently.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:02 AM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Me either. I’m a second owner so when this first came up, I crawled all over the place thinking I was missing something. Not all trailers have them apparently.
My 17' has the battery on the rear bumper, so all I have to do is disconnect the battery, if I choose to. The battery in your 19' is a bit more difficult to access.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I remember back in 2013 that Escape installed a switch if you options the 2 6 volt batteries .Pat
Old 04-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I remember back in 2013 that Escape installed a switch if you options the 2 6 volt batteries .Pat
We had the switch on our 2010 17B, but also had the dual 6V. I thought the switch was standard but maybe then it was only included with the dual 6v option. The switch itself wasn't listed as an option on our built sheet.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #39

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
If I am charging the batteries with the converter every month or so I just leave the light on over the sink (you have to have the battery switch on to charge). When I am done charging for a day or two i just turn the switch off so the light over the sink goes off. When lights go out the battery is off.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #40

One should never leave a battery in storage without a trickle charge. It not only loses its charge but also calcifies the battery even to point of destroying the battery. I leave mine in the garage that never goes below freezing and has a small solar charger on it at all times. It will last a lot longer that way.
galand53 is offline   Reply With Quote