Soft start for AC - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I just read something that said that with a soft start you can run the AC on 30 amps. Is this true?
The AC requires a certain amount of amperage to start. It doesn't really matter if it's on a 20 amp or a 30 amp circuit, provided the supplied startup power is adequate. Startup amps required on these small roof mounted AC units is generally in the 10 to 20 amps range, although some are much higher. When running, it requires less, usually something in the 8 to 10 amps range. A soft start capacitor can reduce the required startup power. The goal of having one of these devices is to be able to start the AC with a small generator. These generators (like the Honda eu2200i) are generally in the 1800 watt to 2200 watt range, and are borderline when it comes to providing adequate startup amps for the AC.

If you have hookups, that's irrelevant. The circuit (either 20 amp or 30 amp) provides more than enough power to start the AC. But, even with hookups, a soft start capacitor (or a more sophisticated device such as the MicroAir Easy Start) can help reduce wear and tear on the AC, and reduce the "thud" sound when the compressor kicks in.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:29 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape
We went with 2 Honda EU2000's linked together so we have 4000 watts. It's close to the same as being on shore power. We can use one at times while camping in cooler places. It depends on how much power we want to use. We have the external gas tank option also linked to both Hondas so they can run for several days without refueling. This is more handy at home for the annual FL storms when we have extended power outages. Must have in FL. We can move into the RV until the grid recovers.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:35 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
Our Honda 2000i would barely run our Dometic AC but it strained to start. I installed a MicroAir easy start (I think it is better than the soft starts in some ACs) and now it starts much easier. I felt it was well worth the price and the effort for the peace of mind it gives me that my 2000i will start my AC whenever I need it to.

This is exactly the same situation we have.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:29 AM   #44

Trailer: 2019 Little Guy Mini Max
Send a message via MSN to friofreddy Send a message via Yahoo to friofreddy
Bailliej757 and Semievolved: We have a Dometic 13.5KBTU on our Mini Max. Anticipating a soft-start install, I measured compressor starting (locked rotor) amps before soft-start at 51.7, and running amps at 10.0. After soft-start install, starting amps reduced to 17.4, running amps reduced to 7.6. I was very pleased with overall performance. YMMV. Retired after 35 years with a busy Texas a/c contractor, I have found that as with any such alteration, attention to instructions is important, because most electrical stuff works by smoke (tongue in cheek), and if you let the smoke out, it quits working.
friofreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:07 AM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by friofreddy View Post
.....Retired after 35 years with a busy Texas a/c contractor, I have found that as with any such alteration, attention to instructions is important, because most electrical stuff works by smoke (tongue in cheek), and if you let the smoke out, it quits working.
fer sure!

thats why you need...

John in Santa Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:25 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
Talking

wow, if I knew Lucas sold that I would still have my MG Midget today;
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, easystart, generator