Solar to 12vdc to inverter – am I missing something? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2022, 11:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Solar to 12vdc to inverter – am I missing something?

I want to use a WiFi camera to monitor a remote building that does not have 110vac power. Once I size the components for power requirements, I’m planning to have a solar panel charge a 12vdc battery. The battery will power an inverter which will power the camera. My question is this, do I just hook both the inverter and solar panel connections directly to the appropriate battery terminals? I’m thinking this is all straight forward and what I need to do, but I also have a “tilt light” going off in my head that says I’m missing something?

I’ve wired lots of 12vdc circuitry including marine systems, radios, and even our trailer solar system, but for some reason I have this doubt that I’m missing something? Is this as straight forward as I think it is or am I missing something? This group has more 12vdc experience than any other group I know so I thank you in advance for your wisdom and comments!

Safe travels,
Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 08:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
12V camera?

Is a 12V camera available? That would simplify things and be more energy efficient. You'll want/need a solar charge controller to your battery and a sufficient battery capacity to run your system thru a couple of cloudy days. 24/7 operation? Upsize the solar and battery.

Somebody, somewhere, sells the package system that you desire. You'll need to look around for it.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 21
Ck Amazon they have some
Old 07-09-2022, 09:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug & Betty View Post
I want to use a WiFi camera to monitor a remote building that does not have 110vac power. Once I size the components for power requirements, I’m planning to have a solar panel charge a 12vdc battery. The battery will power an inverter which will power the camera. My question is this, do I just hook both the inverter and solar panel connections directly to the appropriate battery terminals? I’m thinking this is all straight forward and what I need to do, but I also have a “tilt light” going off in my head that says I’m missing something?

I’ve wired lots of 12vdc circuitry including marine systems, radios, and even our trailer solar system, but for some reason I have this doubt that I’m missing something? Is this as straight forward as I think it is or am I missing something? This group has more 12vdc experience than any other group I know so I thank you in advance for your wisdom and comments!

Safe travels,
Doug
While the suggestions that you use a 12V camera will save on dealing with the inverter, whether you go with a 12V or a 120V & inverter, you need a solar controller between the panel & the battery. Solar panel to the controller, controller to the battery, and, if needed, battery to inverter. Appropriate sized wire & fuses/circuit breakers.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I'll look into 12vdc cameras.

Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 12:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
For what it's worth, there are very few Wi-Fi cameras that are directly powered by 120V. The cameras themselves are typically 12V or 5V, and usually rely on a separate 120V to 12V (or 5V) power adapter. If you're using 12V battery power you should be able to toss the power converter and power the camera directly from the battery (for 12V), or via a 12V to 5V converter (for a 5V camera).

Another option would be to buy a Wi-Fi camera with an integrated solar panel. e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Security-Wire.../dp/B0915R49LJ
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 12:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
If you want decent night vision and motion triggering, I would look into PoE (Power over Ethernet) cameras such as the Dahua/Loyota IPC-T5442T-ZE. You can get direct burial ethernet cable, and run it upwards of 300 feet from the PoE inserter/switch to the camera, and run as much as another 300 feet from a switch to your NVR (Network Video Recorder) where I assume this camera will be terminated? I don't want *anything* to do with security systems that rely on vendor provided 'cloud' storage.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote