Suburban SDS2 Cooktop - Tighten Nuts/Replace Pipe - LP Leak - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2021, 12:18 AM   #61

Trailer: 2019
Propane Gas explosion

Ok I became a member here on this forum today to research about the known issue with this stove top. I have been a member of the Escape Facebook for 2 years and have a 2019 escape 19. I’ve seen a couple post of other folks issues with the knob. I have also tightened the nuts on my trailer about a year ago.
So today I’m cooking lunch and adjusting the flame to simmer and flame goes out. I press the ignition piezo click click click. Boom!
I’m engulfed in a ball of fire. I have no eyelashes, eyebrows. My hair and beard is singed badly. The hair on my legs are burnt. My dog was next to me and she was badly singed. The cabinet doors under the stove were blown open and doors are out of adjustment and won’t close. The front door was open but I had the screen door closed, it was blown open and plastic latch broken. Throw carpet runners burned.
Ambulance, Medics and fire trucks. Getting burn water blisters ozzing. What the hell people, Somebody is going to die.
FloridaCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:13 AM   #62

Trailer: 2021 Escape
Florida Cracker, I saw your post on Facebook which caused me to come check out the issue here. I’m sorry this happened to you and glad both you and the dog are going to be okay.
Chris94901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:44 AM   #63

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What in hell is going on here, is Escape installing a time bomb or what? I'm going to contact Karl @ Escape on this........
Old 08-25-2021, 07:46 AM   #64
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Karl already knows about this dangerous stove. Escape is no longer installing it apparently. But that doesn't solve the problem of the ones that are still out there. They need a full recall. Haven't done that.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:50 AM   #65

Do we know what is being installed by the factory as a replacement in new units?
Old 08-25-2021, 08:11 AM   #66

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What in hell is going on here, is Escape installing a time bomb or what? I'm going to contact Karl @ Escape on this........
The more people that contact Karl the better chance they will notify owners.

However I understand you're not a current Escape owner, so will have no pull.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-25-2021, 08:33 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

Enjoy,

Perry
But I have a deposit for a 2022 model for next Spring, they may try harder with me as my deposit is refundable......
Old 08-25-2021, 08:37 AM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

Enjoy,

Perry
Hi: Perryb67... If I was a current Escape buyer... I'D BE CONCERNED!!! There's a lot to be worried about these so called "China Bombs". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #69
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Has any info been posted that states what years and models of Escape Trailers these stoves have been installed? I don't even know what it looks like
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:49 AM   #70

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Well that did not work.

After receiving new ferrules from McMaster-carr they did not fit. We re-examined Perryb67 pictures of his cooktop fittings, then disassembled our stove fittings further. The ferrule at the connections of the gas line to the burner could be better described as a flange. Our good connector has a flange on the line, and it is tight. Looking at our bad connector it now is apparent that the flange broke off right at the flange. What we thought was a buggered connection is instead a tiny piece of broken pipe, maybe 1/16" long or even less. The end of the pipe/ gas line is rough further now telling us it is cracked.

We just returned from a 10 week trip, where everything worked well. We bought this Escape 19 new in Oct 2018 and have about 25,000 miles on it, and well over 300 days of use. Our best guess, and this is only a guess, is that the Surburban factory might have over torqued this 1 fitting, vibration from driving might have added to metal stresses..

Currently our plans are to get some more flange fittings from VIS in MN (referred to by Perryb67) and replace the 1 broken line, have a spare line, and seriously think about stove replacement.

Our past interactions with Dustin have not gone well. We just cannot believe that Escape will do anything for us personally. We are out of warranty by 10 months. A general recall on these Suburban SDS2 stoves will hurt Escape's bottom line, and Karl is all about strengthening the bottom line for future resale of Escape.
Attached Thumbnails
20210824_154305.jpg   20210824_154329.jpg   20210824_154403.jpg  
Old 08-25-2021, 09:56 AM   #71

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I don't think they'll recall the stoves if Suburban doesn't.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:54 AM   #72
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Has any info been posted that states what years and models of Escape Trailers these stoves have been installed? I don't even know what it looks like
Is THIS the stove being discussed?
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:59 AM   #73

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Yes, that is the one.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #74

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
But I have a deposit for a 2022 model for next Spring, they may try harder with me as my deposit is refundable......
Good thinking, I think.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:25 PM   #75

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Currently our plans are to get some more flange fittings from VIS in MN (referred to by Perryb67) and replace the 1 broken line, have a spare line, and seriously think about stove replacement.
Sorry if I misled. VIS Plumbing is not in the business of providing small parts to owners who don't live in Lanesboro. I just know they had a kit that would have worked. Take your pipe into a gas supplier to get that kit. It will take some footwork to find one who will take the time to sell a $10 part. Good Luck!

For the past two months VIS has been overloaded with air conditioning problems. I can see them from 7-8 in the morning and whenever they get back in the afternoon, but during the day you're lucky if the owners wife is there entering invoices. Those who live in small towns will understand how a small business like VIS operates.

Are there any of those who abandoned their SDS2 stovetop that would be willing to send their working pipe to a forum member?

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-26-2021, 10:09 AM   #76

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaCracker View Post
Ok I became a member here on this forum today to research about the known issue with this stove top. I have been a member of the Escape Facebook for 2 years and have a 2019 escape 19. I’ve seen a couple post of other folks issues with the knob. I have also tightened the nuts on my trailer about a year ago.
So today I’m cooking lunch and adjusting the flame to simmer and flame goes out. I press the ignition piezo click click click. Boom!
I’m engulfed in a ball of fire. I have no eyelashes, eyebrows. My hair and beard is singed badly. The hair on my legs are burnt. My dog was next to me and she was badly singed. The cabinet doors under the stove were blown open and doors are out of adjustment and won’t close. The front door was open but I had the screen door closed, it was blown open and plastic latch broken. Throw carpet runners burned.
Ambulance, Medics and fire trucks. Getting burn water blisters ozzing. What the hell people, Somebody is going to die.
Soooo scary! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris94901 View Post
Florida Cracker, I saw your post on Facebook which caused me to come check out the issue here. I’m sorry this happened to you and glad both you and the dog are going to be okay.
same here!

Quote:
I'm worried too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Karl already knows about this dangerous stove. Escape is no longer installing it apparently. But that doesn't solve the problem of the ones that are still out there. They need a full recall. Haven't done that.
Why haven't they notified people that have purchased with this model installed!

Quote:
I too have no clue what model we have. Escape should be contacting all owners. This is sad!

Quote:
Is THIS the stove being discussed?
Thanks for sharing. Our Escape is not nearby right now. I think if I have it, I just want it removed. No replacement. Hope we can figure it out.

Want2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:07 AM   #77

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
I hope that everyone that actually experiences a problem with these stoves reports it to the Consumer Product Safety Committee on line. They have the power to require a recall if there are significant safety issues.
CPSC unsafe product reporting
Old 08-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #78

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Go View Post
I too have no clue what model we have. Escape should be contacting all owners.
It makes no sense to me to notify people about a product issue who don't have that product.

Yes, Escape Trailer Industries should be contacting all owners of trailers with the affected model of stove with a warning and a resolution, but to do that they would need to acknowledge the problem, and they haven't evven done that yet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:49 PM   #79

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I hope that everyone that actually experiences a problem with these stoves reports it to the Consumer Product Safety Committee on line. They have the power to require a recall if there are significant safety issues.
CPSC unsafe product reporting
In the United States, yes. NHTSA should also be contacted by owners in the U.S., since the trailer is a vehicle (there are other stove recalls already reported through NHTSA).

As a safety issue with a vehicle, Canadians should report issues to Transport Canada.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:03 PM   #80

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Well, Escape officially will not replace mine under warranty even though they are no longer using that model. (At least now I have that in writing in case of a later lawsuit.) They say Suburban will work with dealers to inspect and repair it if there are any leaks. The only known problem in mine is the heat shield came loose and Dustin just I should fix it myself but did not tell me how to do that. (From the top? from underneath?) The screw holding it should not have come out within 6-8 months of use, (especially when the stove was used maybe two times) which is another reason I have a suspicion that this is an installer issue as much as a design one.

Hopefully there will be a recall but if it just involves having someone tighten a few screws and not recalling the product, not sure what good it will do. In the meantime- I'm still not using it.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote