Tempermental Furnace (Saga Continues) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2022, 03:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape Trailer 21NE 2022
Tempermental Furnace (Saga Continues)

I picked up my 21NE in May and have had issues with the furnace every outing apart from pickup. I've watched the Reese video and read the David Murphy post. I'm getting the three blinking lights and pause and repeat. That, according to Reese, indicates I need a new computer board. I called Escape today and asked they send one. Today, I also cleaned the sail switch. It had lint on it. I was hopeful but furnace still not igniting. What happens for approximately 85 seconds is that the blower comes on, then there is one, loud click, the blower continues until it shuts off. It does this three times and then there's the one-hour timeout. I cut short my last trip because I had no furnace heat. It's already 52 degrees at night here. Pretty bummed. Our summers are so short. Any other suggestions? Oh, I turned the cooktop on to test the propane flow. It seems fine.
chesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Tow items, please update your avatar to reflect year/model of Escape. That will help with replies being more accurate. Second, purchase a portable electric plug in 120v heater to use when you have hookups. This is the one we use..https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1
Old 08-09-2022, 05:20 PM   #3

I don't know how to update my profile.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:51 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesaka View Post
I don't know how to update my profile.
Top menu, "user cp" upper left
Old 08-09-2022, 08:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have you considered buying a new board from Dinosaur? Normally I would just push the warranty thing, yet time is of the essence with your short summer. I've heard they have great free diagnostic service. I would call them at least.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:54 AM   #6

Thank you Rossue. I remember reading that Dinosaur circuit boards were good. I will get in touch with them.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 E-19
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but...my Dometic furnace worked perfectly up to the point where the propane tank ran out. No big deal, right? Turn off empty tank, switch selector to other tank, open other tank inlet and that should be it, right? Well everything (ok, mostly refrigerator and cooktop) performs as expected; but neither the furnace nor the hot water heater seems to be getting any gas.
I'm inclined to believe that there's air in the propane line which is keeping the furnace from igniting. The water has been recalcitrant from Day 1, so that's anybody's guess...but may stem from the same air-in-the line condition.
The Dometic thermostat info only says that if the blower comes on but the heater does not ignite, try lighting an appliance down-stream. I'm not sure which way the stream runs, but as mentioned, fridge and cooktop are right as rain.
What say you, experienced Escapees?
Thanks,
Jon and Jena from AZ, currently in WA
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I haven't heard of anyone that had to specifically bleed the fridge to get air out of the line but one way to do that would be to crack open the fitting on the incoming side of the gas valve.

If you tried to ignite it multiple times air would eventually exit through the orifice but it's opening is tiny but eventually the trapped air would be purged.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:01 AM   #9

Well, still can't get the furnace to ignite. I have made a couple calls to Escape Trailer that have been directed to Gina in the "after sales" department. First call was Tuesday. Second call was Thursday and this time the person who answered the phone sent an "instant" message to Gina's phone. No response to my message about getting a replacement circuit board as of Saturday. I will try one last time on Monday when I will also try Dometic directly. This furnace failure is on a new trailer. Not feeling part of the Escape Family.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:12 AM   #10

This is not an Escape failure, except for a lack of a reply. They will (rightly) point you to Dometic- who will point you to an Authorized Service Center.

Not many people know this: Dometic will allow you to use any licensed (Business License) repair- including mobile mechanics. They typically won't reimburse for the separate charge some mobile techs bill just to show up. They fix it you pay them and you send the bill in for reimbursement.

I have that form if you need it. You just need the fastest fix so I would start calling anyone who works on RV that has a good track record and get them on the job.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:29 AM   #11

I'll call Dometic. Fortunately, I purchased a Buddy Heater for emergencies. I really like my trailer and have been recommending it to whomever will listen, but my experience is marred by the company's poor customer service. All I asked for was a call back about getting replacement parts for a furnace on a new trailer. Sad. I can also add I was following instructions in the Reece video about furnace problems where he outlines common problems and likely cures, and says Escape can send the parts or they can be had from Dometic.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:12 PM   #12

In David Murphy's post he provided a link showing a mobile tech repairing a gas valve on a newer Atwood/Dometic furnace like yours. An interesting point made early on is him dismissing the sail switch as a cause. If you hear the furnace clicking to light it isn't the sail switch. And while it may or may not be the board, there is a fairly simple way to suspect the gas valve of being the culprit.

I see Alaska Performance RV & Marine being nearby you. Another is Karen's RV Service Center.

Good luck getting this resolved soon!
Old 08-13-2022, 12:24 PM   #13

I did previously view that video. I didn't hear any clicking sound but will try again today. Replacing the gas valve is beyond my expertise. I did clean the sail switch. Easy-peasy.
Old 08-13-2022, 02:04 PM   #14

I tried again today. No fast clicking sounds of igniter tryint to fire but I did get a gas smell that tells me gas is not the problem. I am not waiting on a reply from Escape. Have an email into Dinosaur and will call Dometic tomorrow morning.
Old 08-13-2022, 02:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 21
It almost sounds like it’s the control board like ours did. No clicking changed out the board n no more issues
Old 08-13-2022, 03:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I would for sure try replacing the control board as the next step. If it turns out to be a hassle to get a replacement from ETI or Dometic, just order one - they are available on Amazon as well as many of the big online RV parts places. If it turns out not to be the control board, then just hang onto the original and you'll have a spare for one day years from now when it does turn out to be the control board.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:44 PM   #17

On Amazon you can return these boards within 30 days so nothing to lose there if it doesn't fix the problem.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:13 AM   #18

Thanks. I didn't know I could get one on Amazon. I should have known better!
Old 08-15-2022, 04:10 AM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesaka View Post
Thanks. I didn't know I could get one on Amazon. I should have known better!
https://smile.amazon.com/Dinosaur-El...ps%2C90&sr=8-2
Old 08-17-2022, 11:50 AM   #20

Trailer: Prospective Buyer Escape 17B
Sorry for being late to the party. I have a control board, motor, sail switch, and limit switch for the Atwood/Dometic AFSAD12 Furnace. I live in Anchorage and would be happy to loan you the control board if you haven't already ordered one. I can also show you how to replace the above parts because all of them have failed on my 1 1/2 year old furnace. So, now I carry spare parts so that I or a mobile RV repairman can fix it while we are traveling.

Others are correct that it is unlikely that you will get your furnace fixed under warranty. I tried and gave up. YMMV.

Currently, the furnace is not working because it is raining. If the furnace is damp, it will not start. I can get it to work by drying it out with a hair dryer. This may also be your current problem due to our wet August.

Give me a call if you would like to try my control board. My name is Brooks Wade. I'm in the book (on line).
BrooksWade is offline   Reply With Quote