To lift or not? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2023, 07:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 ETI 19 (Matilda)
To lift or not?

In the off season I've been raising the entire unit off the ground, spotting 4 jack/axle stands behind each wheel to support the lift (where the frame and axles connect), with the purpose of taking dead weight off the tires. Once the weather gets better I remove each wheel, do my tire, wiring, brake & bearing inspection, however that's more convenience than purpose.
Just trying to get opinions or consensus on whether or not it does more harm than good to raise the unit & support it with the stands for approx. 5 months?
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
6 of 1, 1/2 a dozen of another

I can't see that your procedure would do any harm, and certainly, in the theoretical, could possibly be beneficial. You'd avoid any flat spot on the tire and take off load on the axles. The downside, to me, is the time and effort to do the procedure, for marginal benefit.
It can't hurt. I don't know how much it really helps.
So that's my mere opinion.

Your lift/ storage procedure would avoid time & effort at the start of the season for inspection and maintenance. So why not do it? Makes sense to me.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I always think... what would you do if you need to hook up the trailer and move it quickly. Like it's parked close to the neighbors house that if that house caught fire, the trailer would be in danger. OR you need to bug out....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:36 AM   #4
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I always think... what would you do if you need to hook up the trailer and move it quickly. Like it's parked close to the neighbors house that if that house caught fire, the trailer would be in danger. OR you need to bug out....
The latter was the original motivation for selecting & purchasing our rig. Living in a potential quake and wildfire region & watching resident's videos of their escaping the 2016 Fort McMurray wildfire - there's 2 good reasons to have our rig ready.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Mine moves all year long but several people that I know leave their classic cars and hot rods down here in the summer put them up on jack stands. It won't hurt anything.
Ken AZ
Drives1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:57 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ditto. We pretty much keep the Escape, and our previous campers, ready to roll at anytime. Including stocked with some Mountain House meals. If I have to do maintenance, I try to get it done in a timely manner.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 02:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19 F1
I downloaded the manual for Dexter axles and it recommended storing trailers on Jack stands NOT placed on the axles!
Dave Miller is offline   Reply With Quote