Too much charging? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 10:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Too much charging?

We are camped on shore power in bright sunlight with our 2015 21’, 150w solar panel, Samlex 30 amp controller SCC30AB. Lights are flickering and charge says up to 16v on controller at times. No warning lights or anything yet. We have done the obvious stuff-checked connections to battery, checked connections to disconnect switch, ground wires, etc. We have never encountered this before even when boondocking. Also checked water in our 2 Crown flooded batteries, all fine, they are a year old. Should we be worried about the 16v reading? Again, we are on shore power but the panel seems to be charging really high. We covered it with a tarp for now! Any advice appreciated as we are not solar savvy!
Treblemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treblemaker View Post
We are camped on shore power in bright sunlight with our 2015 21’, 150w solar panel, Samlex 30 amp controller SCC30AB. Lights are flickering and charge says up to 16v on controller at times. No warning lights or anything yet. We have done the obvious stuff-checked connections to battery, checked connections to disconnect switch, ground wires, etc. We have never encountered this before even when boondocking. Also checked water in our 2 Crown flooded batteries, all fine, they are a year old. Should we be worried about the 16v reading? Again, we are on shore power but the panel seems to be charging really high. We covered it with a tarp for now! Any advice appreciated as we are not solar savvy!
I would suspect the power center before the solar and check there first. I don't know if 16v is considered outside boundaries or not. I've never seen mine that high, It could have been and I just had no reason the check at the time.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treblemaker View Post
.... Again, we are on shore power but the panel seems to be charging really high. We covered it with a tarp for now! Any advice appreciated as we are not solar savvy!
If covering your solar panels while still connected to shore-power lowered the voltage to a more acceptable level then I would suggest that indicates the issue is indeed with the 'solar system', not your shore-powered charger / power center.

IMO with FLA batteries the only time you should see anything approaching 16V (but usually more in the mid 15.x volt range) would be during a "de-sulfation cycle", and that's usually a manually-triggered cycle on a solar controller (but Samlex may differ).

A properly functioning PV panel (or array of panels) may well deliver 16V or more to the controller. The solar-controller is the device in the chain of solar components which should 'attenuate' the panel output to a voltage appropriate to the battery needs and limitations.

I'm not familiar with the Samlex specifically but methinks that study of the Samlex controller manual and ensuring that all of its charging profile and output-limiting parameters are properly configured is the first order of business. Is there any chance the controller has been toggled to a "de-sulfation" setting? Does the controller 'think' it is connected to a 24VDC battery system system?

Sure, it's always possible that the controller has 'failed' in manner that precludes it properly 'controlling'; I've no suggestion for a direct test to determine if that's what has happened.

Good Luck!
Old 09-27-2021, 11:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Your solar controller may be in the Equalization stage. From page 24 of the operating manual: "Equalization Charging (Fig 4.1B): This is carried out automatically after every 28 days or manually." A detailed description starts on page 27.

If it is at 16V all the time, I'd suspect a problem with the controller, however short periods at equalization voltages of 15V - 16V is normal.

If you still have 16V with the solar panel covered, I'd suspect a problem with the converter. Very few converters do equalization.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #5

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Our WFCO decided to charge our two year old Crown AGMS at 21v. They were ruined. I've occasionally read of this on other forums. 14.6 is about the most people use for bulk and absorption. I'd check the water frequently, but definitely find the culprit.

The 40 amp WFCO fuses have been pulled since February and our solar (465 watts) has no problems keeping up.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 09-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #6

The display reads that we are in Bulk mode, not equalization. It also indicates in equalization it will go to 15.1 for 3 hours. . Covered panel in sun we are at 13.1. We are stumped as this has not happened in the 3 years we have owned our camper!Also checked battery water levels and they are fine.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:36 PM   #7

Thank you to all who offered suggestions and things to check, The past few days we have had a few jumps to 16v momentarily in full sun but then it immediately drops, and the green bulk/absorption light is on. No alarms/signals from the system at any time I am hoping that means the sensors are working appropriately! We will continue to monitor everything for now. Upgrading to a better converter is on our to-do list, according to my hubby . Any other suggestions for upgrades appreciated as we plan to keep our 21 for many years! Thanks again!!
Old 10-02-2021, 06:41 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I would recommend consideration of a Victron controller. Those models that are called smart controllers. They connect with a free app and provide excellent monitoring and recording of solar.

Be sure it is Smartsolar MPPT. After two years of use I am still impressed with mine.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dangerous charging?