Utah Escape Registration 2021 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2021, 05:25 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I beg to differ. I repeat - the language of certification is:

This is to certify that I have personally inspected the unit described above and find the description to be correct.

And, ETI has previously done the same certification - see post #2 in this thread for an instance.

So, why does ETI have to certify it? Maybe Bob can do it since it's parked in his lot.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:43 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I can vouch, after 4 Escapes, that nothing matters until you return to your home state and then start the registration paperwork. Until then, do not sweat the small stuff......
Old 05-19-2021, 05:46 PM   #43

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
So, why does ETI have to certify it? Maybe Bob can do it since it's parked in his lot.
Indeed. However, prior to delivery, the only party that can certify it is ETI - as it is the only one with access to the camper to be able to inspect the VIN, etc. The State of Utah will not give us any, even temporary, tags without it.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I can vouch, after 4 Escapes, that nothing matters until you return to your home state and then start the registration paperwork. Until then, do not sweat the small stuff......
Jim - Thank you! We are going to be testing this rule.

From what I have read - the states are getting a bit more vigilant in enforcement (in search of revenue). So, we will try our best to look for mitigation, but there is no doubt in our mind that there will be windows during our return trip when we will be without any tags.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:49 PM   #45

Quote:
Indeed. Before delivery, the only party that can certify it is ETI - as it is the only one with access to the camper to be able to inspect the VIN, etc. The State of Utah will not give us any, even temporary, tags without it.

So, your beef is with Utah DMV.
You've had legal advice as to why ETI can't certify the VIN.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
So, your beef is with Utah DMV.
You've had legal advice as to why ETI can't certify the VIN.
I have already said that we beg to differ, so I do not understand your insistence. If you see no wrong with ETI's rationale, that is your prerogative. I did not find it to hold water - and that remains my prerogative as well.

There is nothing I can do to ETI, but my satisfaction as a customer or lack thereof is something I alone decide.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #47

See it any way you like.

I have no interest in or contact with ETI.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:27 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
https://honda-tech.com/forums/genera...s-well-386329/
This has some information.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Thank you very much! Useful link.

I am quite sure we will be able to have it inspected and registered in Utah once we are able to get back. We were hoping to avoid being vulnerable to being stopped for not having temporary tags while we are transporting it from Sumas, WA to Utah. Seems like we will have to accept that vulnerability and take mitigating actions in WA and OR by visiting their respective DMVs, if possible.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:02 PM   #50

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
This may help allay your fears when traveling through Oregon:
Attached Thumbnails
OR travel.png  
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:13 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
This may help allay your fears when traveling through Oregon:
Thank you very much! This does help.

OR is a nice state - it seems to issue 10-day temporary permits. So, if we make it there without damage, I might just try to get one in DMV Tilamook to put this issue to rest for the remaining trip.

My concern is about WA where we are spending the first 6 days and are taking a ferry… Since we will be camping near Anacortes on the Tuesday after the Memorial Day, I am trying to locate an office where we can get a WA trip permit (3 days only) on Tuesday - but have not managed to get a clear answer. The website has a lot of info which is clear as mud as most have Covid restrictions, at least right now… I have called a couple of locations that might be candidates but only left voice mails.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:20 PM   #52

Quote:
Thank you very much! Useful link.

I am quite sure we will be able to have it inspected and registered in Utah once we are able to get back. We were hoping to avoid being vulnerable to being stopped for not having temporary tags while we are transporting it from Sumas, WA to Utah. Seems like we will have to accept that vulnerability and take mitigating actions in WA and OR by visiting their respective DMVs, if possible.
You will be carrying your purchase documents. You still might try to take your purchase agreement to the dmv and see if they’ll issue a temp plate, it worked in Ohio.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:13 PM   #53

Quote:
You will be carrying your purchase documents. You still might try to take your purchase agreement to the dmv and see if they’ll issue a temp plate, it worked in Ohio.
Thank you! The purchase documents are still with ETI. I had paid ETI in full more than a week prior to our completion date to get the documents in Utah and an addition $50 fee to ship them to me (along with the state form TC-661). But, when ETI refused to certify the VIN, I told them to not bother with the rest of the documents either, as I did not rate our chances of getting the permit to be terribly good.

As things stand, we will get the camper, hopefully along with the correct documents, in Sumas, WA on May 31 - and will definitely be driving it without any permit to the campground. On June 1st, I will try to get a 3-day permit for WA, and then on June 6th, I will attempt to get an OR permit. There will be gaps at the very least, aside from the hassle of going the these facilities in what is supposed to be a camping and get to know camper time - but that’s now my plan.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:12 PM   #54

In 2017 they sent those documents in advance , which were useful. No title was issued until 5 weeks after our travel. All with the Ohio temp permit. Then I went to the dmv got the vin inspection, paid state tax on the sale then got my title. The certifying the vin was not part of that, of course it was on the purchase and the import documents provided at the the time of importation. I know your a bit upset, but Escape has no obligation to complete a state issued document from the us. Plenty of us have worked through the various state rules. I made sure I had good insurance however, before I hooked it up. You will need the vin for that. If you have time, I’d still get the advance documents they provide and attempt the Utah dmv.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:02 AM   #55

Quote:
If you have time, I’d still get the advance documents they provide and attempt the Utah dmv.

Sounds reasonable.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:49 AM   #56

Quote:
In 2017 they sent those documents in advance , which were useful. No title was issued until 5 weeks after our travel. All with the Ohio temp permit. Then I went to the dmv got the vin inspection, paid state tax on the sale then got my title. The certifying the vin was not part of that, of course it was on the purchase and the import documents provided at the the time of importation. I know your a bit upset, but Escape has no obligation to complete a state issued document from the us. Plenty of us have worked through the various state rules. I made sure I had good insurance however, before I hooked it up. You will need the vin for that. If you have time, I’d still get the advance documents they provide and attempt the Utah dmv.
Thank you! I appreciate what you are saying but I must admit I have lost the will to call ETI. I will simply wait for them to deliver our camper and hopefully never have to deal with them again. I know that’s not practical but, at the moment, I am not in the right frame of mind for any further conversations with ETI and need a cooling off period.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:10 AM   #57

Always hate to see the vendor alienate a customer, but it happens. I won’t lament the changes after the business was sold by the founders, it’s been extensively discussed. However, even they had some rather strict rules I.e., I made an error on the paperwork I submitted as I was moving and had an address change and it cost me 250 dollars. Good luck and I hope all your systems work correctly, make sure to test things at length upon delivery. We had very little that wasn’t perfect: we had to tighten the connection to the kitchen faucet, and in the warranty period the water heater controller failed and I was sent the part at my request rather than have someone fix it (about a year after delivery). Also after a couple of years one of the battery connections crimp vibrated off, took me 10 minutes to fix. That’s it in 4 years. Enjoy your trailer!
Old 05-20-2021, 07:23 AM   #58

Quote:
Always hate to see the vendor alienate a customer, but it happens. I won’t lament the changes after the business was sold by the founders, it’s been extensively discussed. However, even they had some rather strict rules I.e., I made an error on the paperwork I submitted as I was moving and had an address change and it cost me 250 dollars. Good luck and I hope all your systems work correctly, make sure to test things at length upon delivery. We had very little that wasn’t perfect: we had to tighten the connection to the kitchen faucet, and in the warranty period the water heater controller failed and I was sent the part at my request rather than have someone fix it (about a year after delivery). Also after a couple of years one of the battery connections crimp vibrated off, took me 10 minutes to fix. That’s it in 4 years. Enjoy your trailer!
I truly appreciate your very sensible words and advice. We will do our best at the delivery but given that this is our very first camper, our delivery inspection will be well short of a thorough inspection. All that is what it is.

Once we receive our camper, the focus will shift to that. Hopefully we will have a positive experience with the delivery driver and find our camper to match the specifications, and that will start to the shifting of our attitude and restart our relationship with ETI. At the moment, I find their position well short of acceptable.

In the end, what we think of Escape will depend upon the delivered quality of the camper we get from them. The rest will fade in time.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #59

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Utah title

Many years ago I purchased very old non-running vehicles from out of state of Utah and I wanted the title before I brought them home. I was given a Utah form to have the VIN certified and was told to have any police officer verify and sign the form. It worked even if I had a S.Dak local policeman get up at 5 am to verify and sign. The Montana policeman was also happy to sign since the form only said they were verifying the number. Maybe things have changed but maybe not.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:46 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Many years ago I purchased very old non-running vehicles from out of state of Utah and I wanted the title before I brought them home. I was given a Utah form to have the VIN certified and was told to have any police officer verify and sign the form. It worked even if I had a S.Dak local policeman get up at 5 am to verify and sign. The Montana policeman was also happy to sign since the form only said they were verifying the number. Maybe things have changed but maybe not.
AZjack
Thank you very much! That would work even now. It is a trivial certification - and the State of Utah can, of course, accept or reject it at its discretion. That's what upset me about ETI's refusal.

As things stand, we could get any Bobby in Bob's Burger to certify it. But, it will not help us much as we have to drive back home from Bob's Burger without temporary plates.