Victron/Bluetooth - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2022, 09:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Victron/Bluetooth

Need some assistance here. I have the Victron 712 BM and decided to try using it with bluetooth. First time I've had a reason to use bluetooth with anything. I downloaded the connect app from victron, installed and started the app on my phone. It's a somewhat smartphone, I just never used it for internet stuff.

I enabled Bluetooth on the phone and found the 'SmartBMV'. Paired it. Entered the default code, '000000' , Paired ok. Started the VictronConnect app on the phone and 'no devices found'. I was sitting in the dinette right next to the 712. Seems a pretty straight forward process but I obviously found a way to screw it up.

How did the Bluetooth find the 'SmartBMV' and the Connect app does not find the device. A puzzlement but I know folks here have the answer.

Ideas?.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
the code you need to enter is the code on the back of the display not the 000000, I had the same issue after I got a new phone.
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg and Kathy View Post
the code you need to enter is the code on the back of the display not the 000000, I had the same issue after I got a new phone.
I saw a sticker on the back of the monitor when looking for a USB port. I'll check it for a number when I go back out to the shop area.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2022, 04:48 PM   #4

Quote:
There is no PIN code on the reverse of the monitor. Just SN and PN. I think the '000000' PIN must be correct, otherwise the Phone and 'SmartBMV' would not pair. Correct? As I said in my post, I have no experience with Bluetooth but it seems logical that if prompted for a PIN, the PIN must be correct to pair to SmartBMV.

It does pair successfully using '000000'.

I'm guessing VictronConnect looks for any Victron device and displays what it finds for selection. I saw no way to tell it what device to look for.

I know many here have done this with no problems. What am I not doing correctly?
Old 01-30-2022, 05:15 PM   #5
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Have you tried to reboot your phone after pairing? I have two Victron devices that connect with BT. In each case after pairing, I had to reboot my phone to connect via Victron app.

2 cents
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:39 PM   #6

Problem was operator malfunction. I was using the phones menu to pair. All that should be done at the phone menu is enable Bluetooth.

After enabling Bluetooth, start the VictronConnect app (Key word, CONNECT). The app will then find SmartMBV, I selected it and was prompted for the PIN '000000'.

Took a few sec to connect and then downloaded updates and all is well.

Really neat display. Should have done this on my 712 install.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
The PUK #( some name, huh?) on the reverse of the monitor is used in the event you want to reset the PIN code. It prompts for the PUK code and then will allow resetting the PIN. This feature is accessed from the 'Device list'. Select the three dots for the prompt.

I didn't have to do this. The install will offer the reset PIN option from the default.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:34 AM   #8

Since Bluetooth will not work with Windows and VictronConnect I've ordered the VE to USB cable. I'm going to come up with a mounting for the wall in the dinette to slide my MS Surface down into. Connect the cable to the VE port and sit there and watch it all day.

I'm becoming a gadget person. My phone has made me smart, and my teeth are blue!

Also ordered the 712 temp sensor. Where's this gonna end?

Now I gotta get a few of those Victron blue boxes to use with my 'Free' Bluetooth.

Bluetooth and Blue boxes. I wonder if I'm being massaged.

I used to have a 'If it ain;t broke... ' philosophy but now I can't wait to screw something up.