Water - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2024, 10:01 AM   #21

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I’m the odd one out here. I sanitize the system, and use the tank for everything. We also travel with fresh full since I can’t predict the future on water. I use a simple RV filter on the water hose, and sometimes a Brita in the fridge, or not. I’ve been that way for over 50 years and it works for me, but obviously not for many.
We do same as brroberts. Sanitize tanks and pipes at least once a season. Fill with “good” water from home. I like to fill tanks 80% or higher to prevent sloshing. We always use our “home” water before ever using any site-provided water. We also bring a full 5 gallon collapsible container. Collapsible also handy for refilling larger tank if/when needed. (Made a 3d printed funnel that works great)

I don’t like to let the fresh water sit in tank when not traveling so usually empty remaining when get home.

If need refill during longer trips, after getting confidence off supply, we just use regular inline filter. Whether correct I don’t know but I trust federal & (most) state park water supplies more than I ever would a private campground.

I just use my camper…all of it. Tend to not even use elec/water hookups until I must…even when available at the site.
MD-Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 10:19 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
I’m the odd one out here. I sanitize the system, and use the tank for everything. We also travel with fresh full since I can’t predict the future on water. I use a simple RV filter on the water hose, and sometimes a Brita in the fridge, or not. I’ve been that way for over 50 years and it works for me, but obviously not for many.
Not so odd....I do the same thing. I am in the drinking water business and the camper tank is just another storage tank(little water bottle...30 gal plastic tank...all the same). I too travel w/a full tank...if I don't trust the water I don't hook up.

If you are thinking about a filter you need to ask WHY As in what are you trying to filter out Charcoal removes taste and odor issues and maybe some chemicals but no where near all. Spun fiber filters are for sediment and not much else. A good sand filter can remove bacteria but not always and needs to be maintained and operated correctly. Reverse osmosis will remove most things but is a real power hog. But back to the original question....you need to know what you are trying to remove so you can get the appropriate filter.....How do you know? Safe water and good tasting/looking water are two different things and do not always run together.

I also have a 30 gal poly tank in the back of my truck with an rv pump and battery. If i need more water I can bring it full or go get water and pump it into the camper.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 10:50 AM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I also carry a siphon tube for when I want to use my portable container to fill the mainn tank of the trailer. I find lifting and pouring into the trailer is a pain. This automatic siphon tube works great.
https://www.amazon.ca/Gasoline-Sipho...792e94440&th=1
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 10:55 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
I also carry a siphon tube for when I want to use my portable container to fill the mainn tank of the trailer. I find lifting and pouring into the trailer is a pain. This automatic siphon tube works great.
https://www.amazon.ca/Gasoline-Sipho...792e94440&th=1
What do you find is a convenient way to support the container higher than the water inlet when you are siphoning?
iamunique127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 10:59 AM   #25

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
What do you find is a convenient way to support the container higher than the water inlet when you are siphoning?
Because my container is only a 10 lit container, so only weighs 10kg, I can hold the container with both hands and lean against the trailer if necessary. You still have to hold the weight, but taking the pouring action out makes it a lot easier
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 11:13 AM   #26

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:36 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
For our needs after hauling 1-gallon jugs for our drinking water needs, etc., for a few years, I ended up with a stackable style 5-gallon water container secured with a cam web strap on the floor of under counter cabinet. I then ran a silicone water line to a rechargeable battery operated & dedicated faucet at the sink. We didn't like, again for our boondocking application, the filter route. We're able to refill/swap 5-gallons of spring water as needed easily.

For below freezing winter storage its easy to remove the water container and use in the house. Its one of the mods I've done that has checked all the boxes.

We use the stock 25-gallon water tank for showers, dishwashing and other non-drinking applications.
Old 03-24-2024, 01:26 PM   #28

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-Escape View Post
We do same as brroberts. Sanitize tanks and pipes at least once a season. Fill with “good” water from home. I like to fill tanks 80% or higher to prevent sloshing. We always use our “home” water before ever using any site-provided water. We also bring a full 5 gallon collapsible container. Collapsible also handy for refilling larger tank if/when needed. (Made a 3d printed funnel that works great)

I don’t like to let the fresh water sit in tank when not traveling so usually empty remaining when get home.

If need refill during longer trips, after getting confidence off supply, we just use regular inline filter. Whether correct I don’t know but I trust federal & (most) state park water supplies more than I ever would a private campground.

I just use my camper…all of it. Tend to not even use elec/water hookups until I must…even when available at the site.
And specifically, in my case, my concern is PFAS, which my filter setup is tested for and one of the few filter setups that actually helps with. My wife cares about the taste of the water too.
I do the same precautions as everyone else; cleans my system once a year, I don’t leave it filled with water when the trailer is sitting idle, I fill at home when I can, and use a pre-filter while filling too, to avoid getting grit and big particles into the system.

But the under-sink filter is for PFAS and taste.
Peony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 03:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Works for us, too. That's exactly what we do.

We also carry an extra 5 gallons of fresh.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:53 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Tip: If you sanitize with chlorine bleach, it's hard to get the chlorine taste out. But if you use Purogene (recommended by Donna D), there's no aftertaste that I can detect.

Even my wife, who complained before, will drink the water. Though I must admit, I prefer beer.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Tip: If you sanitize with chlorine bleach, it's hard to get the chlorine taste out. But if you use Purogene (recommended by Donna D), there's no aftertaste that I can detect.

Even my wife, who complained before, will drink the water. Though I must admit, I prefer beer.
I like the sound of that. Has anyone bought any Purogene in Canada and from where? I have found US suppliers. My searches for local suppliers has come up blank.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM   #32

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
We carry about ten standard 1 gallon containers that we fill up at home. We store two on the floor under the sink and eight in the truck. Four of these fit into a standard stackable milk crate. This lasts us for at least two weeks of drinking water which is usually about the length or our trips. If we need more we pick up a few along the way. If we find decent water at campsites we refill. Easy to use the 1 gallon containers to carry and pour into the Escape if we need additional sink and bathroom water as well.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:21 AM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
If you are having trouble finding Purogene.
You can use chlorine , but most people use to much.

In a 25 to 30 gallon holding tank a table spoon is a lot. Unless your tank has green mold growing and then, well let’s hope not.

Mix a table spoon of chlorine with a gallon of water. If using “Clorox bleach” you can go with two table spoons. Fill the rest of the tank with water. Let it sit 12 to 24 hours, drain and refill and drain immediately. If you like fill and drain twice. Yes some people will say they can taste the chlorine, but most will not.

You don’t need a lot of chlorine, it just needs contact time to do it’s job. Let it set then flush the tank.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
If you are having trouble finding Purogene.
You can use chlorine , but most people use to much.

In a 25 to 30 gallon holding tank a table spoon is a lot. Unless your tank has green mold growing and then, well let’s hope not.

Mix a table spoon of chlorine with a gallon of water. If using “Clorox bleach” you can go with two table spoons. Fill the rest of the tank with water. Let it sit 12 to 24 hours, drain and refill and drain immediately. If you like fill and drain twice. Yes some people will say they can taste the chlorine, but most will not.

You don’t need a lot of chlorine, it just needs contact time to do it’s job. Let it set then flush the tank.
Thanks occer

I broke down and ordered Purogene from the US Amazon site. It turned out to be fairly costly but we are so tired of the chlorine taste from using bleach. I followed the directions of 1/4 cup to a tank of water and just cannot get rid of the aftertaste. I have rinsed multiple times and used it that way through multiple tanks of water last year.

I did come across this tip on another forum. I don't know if it will work but I will try it before I use the Purogene:

"A solution of 5 gallons of water with 1 quart vinegar may be used to eliminate excessive chlorine taste. Allow the solution to agitate in the fresh tank by vehicle motion. Do this over a period of several days if possible. Drain the tank again and refill with fresh water."
Old 03-25-2024, 02:53 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

If using “Clorox bleach” you can go with two table spoons. Fill the rest of the tank with water.

Yes some people will say they can taste the chlorine, but most will not.
That's all that I've ever done. I don't drink the tank water but I do brush my teeth with it. Don't smell bleach after it's been drained and flushed. Never had any ill effects.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 03:52 PM   #36

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I'm guessing

I'm guessing, even with a long drain time, all of the water does not leave the fresh water tank. I had a 16' Casita with a more accessible tank. I added a marine screw in access hatch to the top of that tank to clean out and dry out the tank while in storage. When I first opened up the tank, there was algae reside at the bottom. I suspect my current tank may have some too.

I too run with 4 or so 1 gallon Arizona Ice Tea jugs for our drinking and cooking water, and other additional water containers if we're boondocking.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 04:50 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
[SIZE="6"][SIZE="4"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
Thanks occer
"A solution of 5 gallons of water with 1 quart vinegar may be used to eliminate excessive chlorine taste. Allow the solution to agitate in the fresh tank by vehicle motion. Do this over a period of several days if possible. Drain the tank again and refill with fresh water."
I would be hesitent about adding vinegar without talking to a chemist.
You might end up with a really ugly taste.

I called the tank manufacture and asked what they suggest, they did not have experiance with that but suggested maybe a pool supply place.

iamunique127
I have sodium Sulfite tables used to nutrilizes clorine, I can send you a little.
I will PM you my phone number.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:56 AM   #38

Quote:
[SIZE="6"][SIZE="4"]

I would be hesitent about adding vinegar without talking to a chemist.
You might end up with a really ugly taste.

I called the tank manufacture and asked what they suggest, they did not have experiance with that but suggested maybe a pool supply place.

iamunique127
I have sodium Sulfite tables used to nutrilizes clorine, I can send you a little.
I will PM you my phone number.
Thanks for the warning about the vinegar. I will hold off on that just in case but everyone else on another RV forum seemed to accept it as a viable way of treating their tanks after sanitizing with chlorine bleach. And it was recommended by the manufacturer of their trailers.

I received your PM and will call later. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:14 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
And specifically, in my case, my concern is PFAS, which my filter setup is tested for and one of the few filter setups that actually helps with. My wife cares about the taste of the water too.
I do the same precautions as everyone else; cleans my system once a year, I don’t leave it filled with water when the trailer is sitting idle, I fill at home when I can, and use a pre-filter while filling too, to avoid getting grit and big particles into the system.

But the under-sink filter is for PFAS and taste.
Hmm PFAS...are you on town water? Ask for their consumer confidence report...it will tell you what contaminants they have found. Here in VT town water has been tested for PFAS. Your own well? If you suspect PFAS contamination get it tested. Does your filter tell you when it is used up? If you have PFAS this is important since at some point the filter cannot remove any more and that depends on filter size and how much it has to remove.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:31 PM   #40

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Hmm PFAS...are you on town water? Ask for their consumer confidence report...it will tell you what contaminants they have found. Here in VT town water has been tested for PFAS. Your own well? If you suspect PFAS contamination get it tested. Does your filter tell you when it is used up? If you have PFAS this is important since at some point the filter cannot remove any more and that depends on filter size and how much it has to remove.
There’s plenty of PFAS contamination of wells in Washington State. Here is the result from sampling just near a bunch of our military bases, if you are interested.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...th-pfas-in-wa/

I can’t test contamination everywhere I go. I follow the guidelines from the manufacturer for how often to replace the filter (rather, I *by far* replace my filters more often, given how little water volume goes through the filter setup in a year).
My own water district at my house does not yet test for PFAS, but given the source of it, I’m reasonably certain I have no concerns there.

Look, I’m not here to argue about the validity of having a filter setup or not. I have my own reasons, that I base on my own concerns and the facts that I can (and can’t) gather about where I fill my water. We all work on incomplete data about the water we fill our tanks with.
Peony is offline   Reply With Quote