Water Pump Issues - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2023, 01:17 PM   #1
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Water Pump Issues

Hi - We have had our 21C for almost a year and I keep hearing the water pump do a short run (less than one second) every once in awhile. I can't seem to find a leak anywhere, and I really don't know much regarding their operation so I'm not sure what might cause it. Another symptom is that there always seems to be air in the water line. Almost every time I fill up a glass of water, I get some trapped air as well.

I have not added the pressure vessel to the water pump yet. Rhonda and Angie (Adventures in NoMadness) did a nice YouTube video on this. While a great option I'm not sure if it would solve my issue, make no difference, or make it worse.

Thoughts on what to check/adjust? Thanks!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 01:49 PM   #2
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Hi - We have had our 21C for almost a year and I keep hearing the water pump do a short run (less than one second) every once in awhile. I can't seem to find a leak anywhere, and I really don't know much regarding their operation so I'm not sure what might cause it. Another symptom is that there always seems to be air in the water line. Almost every time I fill up a glass of water, I get some trapped air as well.

I have not added the pressure vessel to the water pump yet. Rhonda and Angie (Adventures in NoMadness) did a nice YouTube video on this. While a great option I'm not sure if it would solve my issue, make no difference, or make it worse.

Thoughts on what to check/adjust? Thanks!
Since de-winterizing my trailer this spring, I had the sputtering water symptom, mostly on the hot side, you describe due to air in the lines and couldn't seem to get it too stop. I'd been reading the thread (see below link) about heater tank pressure release valve and others about air pocket formation in the top of the tank. You need some air in the tank to allow for water expansion as it heats.

We took a short trip and after heating water for evening dishes, I went out and carefully pulled the release valve up. Some air came out and when only water came out (only took a couple of seconds) I closed the valve. Air in the lines is now gone and no more sputtering faucet. It all works perfectly again.

As to the possible air leak in your system, if the pump is left on, it's not unusual to have periodic short bursts of pumping but probably not more than once an hour I would think. More than that you might want to look for a leak, but I'd try getting the air out of the tank first. Possibly that will fix both issues. There are other threads on that subject you can find by using the search function. Good luck.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ent-25099.html
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 11:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I’ve had this problem with several trailers over the years. First thing to do is look to see if you have water under the trailer. If you do, check to see if it is coming from the water heater or one of the weep / drain holes. If it’s the water heater, then SRS’s suggestions are spot on. If it’s coming from one of the weep holes, then you have a leak someplace. If you don’t have any water under the trailer, then it’s probably internal to the pump and the pressure check valve.

I don’t know if it’s mineralization from hard water on the valve diaphragm, or something caught in the valve, or a failing valve, but something allows the pressure side of the check valve to leak back towards the supply side. When the pressure drops to the set threshold the pump turns on and runs until it pressurizes the system. Usually only a few seconds at most. Other than the obnoxious and worrisome noise, no harm done. The easiest work around is to turn the pump off when you won’t be needing it. Depending on the cause, the pump can last a long time without needing to be replaced.

If you choose to carry a spare pump “just in case” I would suggest that sometime when you’re home with the trailer you locate the pump, the easiest access to it, the mounting screws, etc. The pump is easy to swap out, but it can be awkward (I don’t bend and twist as easily as I used to…). The plumbing connections you must undo are typically only hand tight.

Safe travels,
Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 12:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
If you haven’t done so recently hook up to your city water connection. This higher pressure makes it easier to fill the lines and rid them of air. Run all your faucets, toilet, outdoor shower and lift the hot water heater pressure relief valve. This can also act to reseat the check valve properly within the pump.
Old 09-02-2023, 11:42 AM   #5
DT6

My thanks to SRS, Doug and Betty, and Rubicon237 for your help with this - problem solved. I apologize for the late note, we had intermittent connectivity until yesterday.
Old 09-26-2023, 06:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
What do you think fixed it?
Traildad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 02:45 PM   #7
DT6

I made the mistake of filling the fresh water tank before I bled the hot water tank. However, it was likely bleeding the vale on the hot water tank that fixed the issue. Everything works fine now.