Lithium battery storage in off season - where to store? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2023, 10:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Lithium battery storage in off season - where to store?

Hi,

Winterized our trailer yesterday and I'm about to pull the 2 lithium batteries. I was thinking to store them in a bedroom closet inside our cottage, but we do use the cottage on weekends through the winter and all bedrooms get used. I believe lithium needs to have ventilation for safety (as in the trailer). Is a bedroom closet ok to store them? I can't put them in the garage because it's unheated and those inside temps could reach -20C through winter. The basement workroom in our home in the city is another option, but that would mean lugging the batteries to and from.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Paul
Pauly D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
A tempered or heated space will be all they need. They don’t need ventilation.
Old 09-17-2023, 01:32 PM   #3

Trailer: Looking
+1 to the above.

Any space that will be above freezing the entire winter. Lithium batteries will get damaged if they freeze. They don't need any special ventilation. I wouldn't put them in a vacuum-sealed bag, but any closet will be fine.

Personally, I would keep them as close to an exterior exit as possible, and far away from bedrooms. This is for the simple reason that batteries - all batteries - can suffer from defects and in the worst case can catch fire. Lithium fires cannot be put out with water, and can burn for literally DAYS. The closer the battery is to an "exit," the higher the possibility of you being able to use a piece of wood (or whatever non-conductive item you have on hand) to push it outside your home.

I don't mean to scare anyone; the chances of that happening are very, very slim. But they are non-zero, and similarly apply to all of our electronics (phones, laptops, etc.)... most of which we happily keep on a bedside table.

Personally I've had a MacBook battery swell to the point that the laptop had a huge bulge on the bottom. I noticed it in time, shut the laptop off, placed it outside my home and called Apple; they replaced it under warranty (even thought it was beyond the warranty period). At one time Samsung phones had a problem with them catching fire. Things can happen.
0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 06:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0210 View Post
+1 to the above.

Any space that will be above freezing the entire winter. Lithium batteries will get damaged if they freeze.
The manufacture of the battery should provide the minimum storage temperature. Mine were specified at -20F and over the winter here in Denver we reached -17F one night. Fingers crossed, they worked fine this year. The trailer is parked outside and the battery compartment in the E'21 is under the interior seat. I did add an inch of insulation along the outside walls of the compartment just for insurance.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 08:16 PM   #5

Thanks for all your thoughts folks. Our two lithiums are now safely stored in a warm area for winter. We are babying these babies for their first winter in Manitoba. Cheers, Paul
Old 09-18-2023, 10:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
What purpose does that serve? My 19 with solar on the roof and having one Battleborn battery connected in the tongue box, with trailer being under cover outside for the last 3 years, has been just fine. In winter we do get pretty cold here. I don't understand the logic of removing lithium batteries for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
snoo1.jpg  
Old 09-18-2023, 10:09 AM   #7

Trailer: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
What purpose does that serve? My 19 with solar on the roof and having one Battleborn battery connected in the tongue box, with trailer being under cover outside for the last 3 years, has been just fine. In winter we do get pretty cold here. I don't understand the logic of removing lithium batteries for the winter.
They can freeze, internal components get damaged, you can lose 70-80% of battery capacity.

Lots of information like this:
- https://www6.slac.stanford.edu/news/...ng-performance
- https://www.relionbattery.com/knowle...n-cold-weather

Similar literature came with my own batteries.
0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 10:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0210 View Post
… you can lose 70-80% of battery capacity.
Maybe lead acid. Lithium will lose some capacity at cold temps but no where near that much. The batteries warm up with use so they have potential to recover some of those “lost” amp-hours. The biggest limitation is not charging below freezing but most lithium batteries have low temp protection or at least they should in an RV application.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:38 AM   #9

Think I am good. Copied from the Battleborn website:
"Our batteries can handle a storage range of –15 degrees Fahrenheit to upwards of 140 degrees Fahrenheit."
Old 09-18-2023, 10:53 AM   #10

Quote:
"Our batteries can handle a storage range of –15 degrees Fahrenheit to upwards of 140 degrees Fahrenheit."
You are fine. Ideally the batteries would be charged and then disconnected from any charging source or loads. They only drop a few percent per month. Lithiums don’t like being kept at full charge all the time like lead acid. Better to let them discharge naturally a bit if storing for several months.
Old 09-18-2023, 12:14 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Same here. Ours have integrated heating as well.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 12:57 PM   #12

Inside the tongue box. (190W solar on roof, wired to controller, plus additional wiring ready for 100W portable solar panels.) It has a lid.
Attached Thumbnails
LithiumT.jpg  
Old 09-18-2023, 01:13 PM   #13

Quote:
From what I've read on this forum, including ETI's recommendations, the lithiums shouldn't be left out in freezing. Temps in my area are often below -30C through winter. My batteries might be ok, they might not. Logic is we spent a bunch, we're hoping they'll last as long as possible. Easy to remove. 4 bolts, 13 mm socket. Once I realized the plastic housing had enough give, I could easily maneuver them out. (I thought at first I might have to remove the bench seat - easy with 4 screws - but that wasn't necessary.) The biggest joy was how light these things are!
Old 09-18-2023, 05:12 PM   #14

Yep, it's a good thing for you lithiums don't weigh so much.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:44 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Lithium's can not be CHARGED if the battery internal temps are 32F or below. My SOK batteries say they can be discharged (provide power) when they are as cold as -22F, that's also the lower storage temp.

The batteries with internal heaters, those heaters only work when charging power is connected to the battery and the battery is too cold... the internal BMS will divert the charging power to the heater elements until the battery is warm enough to be charged.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 07:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Yep, it's a good thing for you lithiums don't weigh so much.
You can say that again. And have handles for added convenience.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:21 AM   #17

Trailer: 2023 21C
I will be taking the batteries out of our trailer, what is the best procedure to disconnect the wiring?
dunnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 03:00 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnet View Post
I will be taking the batteries out of our trailer, what is the best procedure to disconnect the wiring?
unplug shore power. If you have solar, switch off the solar charge controller if you can. Disconnect main leads to battery negative, disconnect main leads to battery positive, disconnect the series cable if you have two golf cart batts, remove batteries one at a time. if you have GC2 Golf cart batteries, there's a strap with hooks that fit in those square tabs for lifting the battery out, makes it 100X easier (GC2 batts are like 60 or 70 lbs each). you can often borrow one from a battery store. example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304410897758
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote