What to expect pick up day? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 21NE
What to expect pick up day?

I will be picking up my 21NE in Sumas in a few weeks and I am wondering what to expect in regards to the actual checkout of the trailer and signing of Bill Of Sale. I have owned other trailers before so I am very familiar with hitching up a trailer and operation of most of the components. What I am specifically interested in is what is the typical process by which they (Escape) walk you through the trailer before expecting you to sign off on the Bill Of Sale? I have asked Escape, but don't have an answer back yet.
- I'm sure Escape will answer my question but I also wanted to hear some responses about what happened.
- I am under the impression that a contract driver brings it to Sumas, not an Escape employee, and depending on the driver, some people get help hitching up and others don't.
Thanks in advance.
- Does the driver walk you around and through the trailer to verify everything you ordered is supplied? Is the operation of anything tested before sign off?
- What happened if something doesn't match the build sheet? Did you write notes on the Bill Of Sale before signing off?
- Did you feel pressured to hurry up and sign so driver can leave?
Illinois Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Is the border closed? Why not drive up to Chilliwack? It is a very pretty place....
Old 07-04-2021, 03:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
The border is closed.

I didn't do much of an inspection, hard to do in a short time, just verified things were there and got the keys and signed. The driver hooked me up (without asking if I wanted any help!) He was late though so I think he was trying to get back on schedule. I wasn't missing anything and everything worked (other than the awning I knew would not be there). I couldn't find the keys and he showed me where they were. It was smooth and easy.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Joe View Post
I will be picking up my 21NE in Sumas in a few weeks and I am wondering what to expect in regards to the actual checkout of the trailer and signing of Bill Of Sale. I have owned other trailers before so I am very familiar with hitching up a trailer and operation of most of the components. What I am specifically interested in is what is the typical process by which they (Escape) walk you through the trailer before expecting you to sign off on the Bill Of Sale? I have asked Escape, but don't have an answer back yet.
- I'm sure Escape will answer my question but I also wanted to hear some responses about what happened.
- I am under the impression that a contract driver brings it to Sumas, not an Escape employee, and depending on the driver, some people get help hitching up and others don't.
Thanks in advance.
- Does the driver walk you around and through the trailer to verify everything you ordered is supplied? Is the operation of anything tested before sign off?
- What happened if something doesn't match the build sheet? Did you write notes on the Bill Of Sale before signing off?
- Did you feel pressured to hurry up and sign so driver can leave?
The following is based upon our experience picking up a 5.0 in Sumas, WA on the Memorial Day.
  • The bill of sale and other documents arekept in your Escape on delivery. The driver does not have you sign it off. I do not remember we signed anything but it is possible that we signed that we had received the camper. He gave us the key and showed us where the documents, etc. were stored inside the camper.
  • It was indeed a contract driver, not an Escape employee. We had told Escape that we are totally green and they said that the driver will assist to the extent he can. He is not allowed to drive your truck, so you have to do that yourself. But, his guidance was very helpful. He did talk us through the hitching process.
  • No. The driver is not there to match the build sheet with you. I do not think he even has the build sheet. If you have any issues with the camper, you would need to take that up with Escape in post-sales communications. In our case, something did not match up but we determined that what they did could be one valid interpretation of how the customization was specified - and did not find it to be Escape’s fault.
  • Nothing to write on the Bill of Sale. Kept that clean to get the title when we got back.
  • The driver is not there to linger with you but we did not feel hurried. That said, I don’t think the exchange lasted half an hour.
Overall, the delivery process was smooth and pleasant. We did not feel hurried. Of course, we were nervous about our ability to handle it but that could not be helped. I had got very useful advice on this forum and felt very prepared for it. I wrote some of that in my thread - https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...day-20613.html . It’s a bit long but you might find it a useful reading.
kavm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:17 AM   #5

I always gave the driver a cash tip and directions to the closest restaurant, after eating fast food for a week on the road I was sure they needed/wanted something else.......
Old 07-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always gave the driver a cash tip and directions to the closest restaurant, after eating fast food for a week on the road I was sure they needed/wanted something else.......
Week on the road? Ours just came across the border from Chilliwack to Sumas. My comments are for that scenario. What happens when it is shipped farther away could be very different. I really doubt the drivers delivering to far away locations (now consolidated for cost reduction) will be able to give any help…
Old 07-05-2021, 09:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19 (6/15/21)
June 15 pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
The following is based upon our experience picking up a 5.0 in Sumas, WA on the Memorial Day.
  • The bill of sale and other documents arekept in your Escape on delivery. The driver does not have you sign it off. I do not remember we signed anything but it is possible that we signed that we had received the camper. He gave us the key and showed us where the documents, etc. were stored inside the camper.
  • It was indeed a contract driver, not an Escape employee. We had told Escape that we are totally green and they said that the driver will assist to the extent he can. He is not allowed to drive your truck, so you have to do that yourself. But, his guidance was very helpful. He did talk us through the hitching process.
  • No. The driver is not there to match the build sheet with you. I do not think he even has the build sheet. If you have any issues with the camper, you would need to take that up with Escape in post-sales communications. In our case, something did not match up but we determined that what they did could be one valid interpretation of how the customization was specified - and did not find it to be Escape’s fault.
  • Nothing to write on the Bill of Sale. Kept that clean to get the title when we got back.
  • The driver is not there to linger with you but we did not feel hurried. That said, I don’t think the exchange lasted half an hour.
Overall, the delivery process was smooth and pleasant. We did not feel hurried. Of course, we were nervous about our ability to handle it but that could not be helped. I had got very useful advice on this forum and felt very prepared for it. I wrote some of that in my thread - https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...day-20613.html . It’s a bit long but you might find it a useful reading.
We concur with KAVM's experience. We stayed the night prior in the lodge right there in Sumas. Had dinner at Bob's. Just a few minutes after the appointed time, our new little E19 showed up. We did sign one document that we had received the trailer, but that's it. Driver was helpful and pleasant. A good experience. Would have preferred picking up at the factory, but that wasn't happening in June anyway.
thoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Week on the road? Ours just came across the border from Chilliwack to Sumas. My comments are for that scenario. What happens when it is shipped farther away could be very different. I really doubt the drivers delivering to far away locations (now consolidated for cost reduction) will be able to give any help…
My first Escape was delivered to Pennsylvania, one of three sent across the Mississippi back then for delivery to new owners.
Old 07-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #9

Quote:
My first Escape was delivered to Pennsylvania, one of three sent across the Mississippi back then for delivery to new owners.
I can imagine...

Are you having the new camper delivered to Pennsylvania? Or, are you picking it up in Sumas, WA? I am sure the border will be open by that time. And, then there is the matter of Osoyoos rally!
Old 07-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #10

Quote:
I can imagine...

Are you having the new camper delivered to Pennsylvania? Or, are you picking it up in Sumas, WA? I am sure the border will be open by that time. And, then there is the matter of Osoyoos rally!
I would not miss Osoyoos, so we are driving out for pickup next May and then to Osoyoos, one of our favorite campgrounds.
Old 07-05-2021, 01:46 PM   #11

Quote:
I would not miss Osoyoos, so we are driving out for pickup next May and then to Osoyoos, one of our favorite campgrounds.
Excellent! We are also interested, but our presence is subject to our work commitments. They aren't sufficiently clear as yet.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I'm having mine delivered to Florida, hopefully
Old 07-05-2021, 03:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I'm having mine delivered to Florida, hopefully
Great, so you can leave in May and attend the rally in Osoyoos......https://www.destinationosoyoos.com
Old 07-05-2021, 04:09 PM   #14

Nope. A newbie here. Having it delivered to Orlando ,Fl a. I want to be close to home for adjustments, learning curve and truck issues... Expensive but if I get moved up in GCD it will be winter in NW and would rather keep salt exposure to a minimum. I figure the cost is about the same for delivery or me to go get it. The difference is, Ill miss an adventure.. I will have time after retirement to go west old man...
Old 07-05-2021, 05:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Nope. A newbie here. Having it delivered to Orlando ,Fl a. I want to be close to home for adjustments, learning curve and truck issues... Expensive but if I get moved up in GCD it will be winter in NW and would rather keep salt exposure to a minimum. I figure the cost is about the same for delivery or me to go get it. The difference is, Ill miss an adventure.. I will have time after retirement to go west old man...
Sometimes your health gets in the way of your retirement.........
Old 07-06-2021, 03:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Sometimes your health gets in the way of your retirement.........
Very true! I do get 6 months off from my job per year. I haven't seen how my schedule shapes up next may for O get together.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Thanks to all for sharing their experience. As a follow up I did get an answer from Escape and it pretty much matches what was shared. Drivers have time for a quick walk around the outside and look inside, but they do usually need to get back. They can answer questions about hitching up to the trailer, but are not able to answer questions about the trailer. If I have questions or concerns about the trailer at pickup, there is an Escape contact named in the papers.
Illinois Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #18

Trailer: 2021 21c
We are picking up our Trailer in Sumas on September 1. Planning to sight see on our way home.

I can’t get license plates for the trailer here in Indiana until I take the title and have the trailer inspected to verify the Vin.

Asked Escape how to license the trailer for travel home and was disappointed that they had no suggestions or process in place to get temporary tags. Normally a dealer would take care of that. Thinking Escape being factory direct sales only, they would have something in place to temporarily tag the trailer.

Wondering how you or others have made the trip with your new trailer?
Galen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Escape is not in a position to negotiate with every state for temp plates. Your beef should be with your state. Many have taken leisurely trips home with no plate, but with proof of purchase and insurance.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen View Post
We are picking up our Trailer in Sumas on September 1. Planning to sight see on our way home.

I can’t get license plates for the trailer here in Indiana until I take the title and have the trailer inspected to verify the Vin.

Asked Escape how to license the trailer for travel home and was disappointed that they had no suggestions or process in place to get temporary tags. Normally a dealer would take care of that. Thinking Escape being factory direct sales only, they would have something in place to temporarily tag the trailer.

Wondering how you or others have made the trip with your new trailer?
If you have time, check out the Oregon DMV website. They give a 2 week temporary permit. It can be mailed to your home address, but there is some time gap needed to get the permit by mail. They do require something like a bill of sale, etc. but Escape is able to provide PDF version by email.

The state of WA also gives the temporary permit - but in 3 day increments. So, ends up being a bit pricey. WA permits can also be obtained in license bureau which are private and can sometimes offer more options.

One can string together WA and OR permits (which may also be mailed to your campground in OR, if it offers that facility).

It is also worth asking the state of IN DMV if they can issue you a temporary tag on the basis of the PDF documents. The answer can sometimes differ from office to office and clerk to clerk - with less urban locations being more flexible. They are the one's collecting the sales tax on the camper.

There is plenty of free advice on offer to not worry, but for those of us that are uncomfortable with driving without license tags, this is a workable route.

Tags
pick up day