What went wrong? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 12:06 PM   #1

What went wrong?

Hello:
I took My Escape 15' for service and installation of a new LP detector and fridge inspection to a reputable shop recommended broadly here in the North Shore, going downhill all the way from home to the shop My trailer brakes were responding like a champion, after delivering My trailer the technician called Me to ask Me if I wanted to have an inspection of My brakes, I responded that it doesn't hurt and I commented that My brakes were inspected recently and were found without fault, that after the inspection very few Ks were put in to My trailer, the technician inspected My brakes and called Me again saying that My trailer needed a whole New Brake assembly, trusting in the recommendations and good things I heard about this shop I responded to the technician "please go ahead and replace all You need safety is above everything"
After this service when I applied the brakes My Trailer didn't brake at all and I almost kill Myself with My wife in an intersection in a collision with other vehicle.
Let Me stress out again, in My way to the shop MY trailer brakes were responding like a champion.
My Brakes in My 2016 Toyota 4 Runner Trail edition are new replaced in February 2021 the whole thing, and brakes feel very reliable.
what went wrong? what is wrong? quick connector? Magnets?, the wiring looks like new and is covered by foam insulation beside of being protected by a hose on top,
Any Ideas?

Thanks In advance.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
I would go back to the shop and demand an answer. They should refund your money first of all. If they do not respond in a positive manner, take it to another shop and then it is court time with the first shop.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
I would go back to the shop and demand an answer. They should refund your money first of all. If they do not respond in a positive manner, take it to another shop and then it is court time with the first shop.

That's an awfully aggressive response, even if you don't know the shop.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
We took our trailer to likely the same shop last year for bearings and a brake inspection. They were nice enough to deal with and didn't try to up sell us on anything. I would definitely contact the shop and have them fix the issue. Have you tried calling them?
Old 06-24-2021, 03:45 PM   #5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
I called the Owner of this establishment and explained the problem, He was sceptical because 6 month had passed since the service in December, I guess He forgot that We had here in BC restrictions for inter Provincial travel, and My Trailer was sitting in My driveway all this time as it was the same scenario for everyone else in BC, after I brought this to his attention He tried to blame My brake controller, and this is what makes Me think that honesty is very hard to find now days.

Thanks For Your reply
Old 06-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclatz View Post
after I brought this to his attention He tried to blame My brake controller, and this is what makes Me think that honesty is very hard to find now days.

And, you know it's not your brake controller? How?
Google reviews:
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 1.49.37 PM.png  
Old 06-24-2021, 03:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCampBC View Post
We took our trailer to likely the same shop last year for bearings and a brake inspection. They were nice enough to deal with and didn't try to up sell us on anything. I would definitely contact the shop and have them fix the issue. Have you tried calling them?
I am very happy that for You all went well, as for Me when I exposed the problem My integrity was questioned when he responded that after 6 months I was claiming that the problem was originated in the last service, He didn't mentioned the travel restrictions we had until June 15, 2021. but I reminded him, My approach to the Owner was polite and calm, I didn't deserve this insulting approach after I was close to have a very serious accident with My wife on board and with other vehicle with family inside. I My self feel very disappointed for this experience I was confident that all was top notch and didn't think a thing when I brought My trailer home all the way uphill with no need of braking.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And, you know it's not your brake controller? How?
Google reviews:
when You read carefully My original post You will know how.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:

Sorry. I do not know. I know that I once pulled out of camp and when applied my brakes, there was a great deal of commotion from the trailer. Turns out "Boost" had gotten turned on. Turned that off for a fix.
What do you have the controller set to? Have you tested the setting?
Old 06-24-2021, 04:03 PM   #10

Further, what were you doing that a 4-Runner couldn't stop a 15' Escape, even if it had no brakes?
Old 06-24-2021, 05:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A sudden and complete loss of braking is likely a loss of electrical connection, as is already suspected. I wouldn't talk to the shop until I had checked for power to the brakes... but I also wouldn't wait until June to check a problem that occurred in December (if I understand the timeline correctly).

If the brakes were not used on the way home in December, and so the problem wasn't noticed until recently... I can't imagine getting brake work done and not checking the brakes on the way home. With a normal proportional controller the trailer brakes come on every time the tow vehicle brakes, and difference in braking response with and without working trailer brakes should be readily apparent to the driver. The sensible way to specifically check the trailer brakes is to cautiously apply the trailer brakes using the manual lever on the controller while the tow vehicle is coasting - the trailer brakes alone will noticeably pull on the tow vehicle, and can stop the entire rig at a moderate rate of deceleration. Of course at this point it's too late to check the work when it should have been done, but I can certainly see why the shop management would be suspicious of a claim now.

For future work, it's always a good idea in any automotive service (which includes a trailer) to get the old parts returned to you (they usually just leave them in the boxes that the new parts came in), so that you can confirm that the parts needed replacement and were actually replaced (assuming they don't just give you someone else's old parts ). This can look like you don't trust them to either assess the need for replacement or to actually do the work (because, well, you don't trust them with either ) so I always explain that I realize that the parts are needed and just want to see how the old parts were doing (which is true only because I no longer let anyone replace parts without first confirming for myself that replacement is needed).

If the problem was caused by the trailer shop, it could be either a bad wire connection or that the new brakes were not adjusted to remove excessive free play. It is possible that when a wire connection was changed (to replace the brake magnets) the wire may have been pulled, and because of the foam if that broke the connection where the wiring splits to the two side it wouldn't have been visible. Of course the shop should have tested the brakes before releasing the trailer back to the customer, but a marginal electrical connection may not show up immediately.

Yes, a 4Runner should have stopped an Escape 15 with at least marginally acceptable performance, even without trailer brakes.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A sudden and complete loss of braking is likely a loss of electrical connection, as is already suspected. I wouldn't talk to the shop until I had checked for power to the brakes... but I also wouldn't wait until June to check a problem that occurred in December (if I understand the timeline correctly).

If the brakes were not used on the way home in December, and so the problem wasn't noticed until recently... I can't imagine getting brake work done and not checking the brakes on the way home. With a normal proportional controller the trailer brakes come on every time the tow vehicle brakes, and difference in braking response with and without working trailer brakes should be readily apparent to the driver. The sensible way to specifically check the trailer brakes is to cautiously apply the trailer brakes using the manual lever on the controller while the tow vehicle is coasting - the trailer brakes alone will noticeably pull on the tow vehicle, and can stop the entire rig at a moderate rate of deceleration. Of course at this point it's too late to check the work when it should have been done, but I can certainly see why the shop management would be suspicious of a claim now.

For future work, it's always a good idea in any automotive service (which includes a trailer) to get the old parts returned to you (they usually just leave them in the boxes that the new parts came in), so that you can confirm that the parts needed replacement and were actually replaced (assuming they don't just give you someone else's old parts ). This can look like you don't trust them to either assess the need for replacement or to actually do the work (because, well, you don't trust them with either ) so I always explain that I realize that the parts are needed and just want to see how the old parts were doing (which is true only because I no longer let anyone replace parts without first confirming for myself that replacement is needed).

If the problem was caused by the trailer shop, it could be either a bad wire connection or that the new brakes were not adjusted to remove excessive free play. It is possible that when a wire connection was changed (to replace the brake magnets) the wire may have been pulled, and because of the foam if that broke the connection where the wiring splits to the two side it wouldn't have been visible. Of course the shop should have tested the brakes before releasing the trailer back to the customer, but a marginal electrical connection may not show up immediately.

Yes, a 4Runner should have stopped an Escape 15 with at least marginally acceptable performance, even without trailer brakes.
Again: the time line was because of the travel restrictions, I brought My trailer home all the way uphill no braking needed, confident that this shop has a good track record, My trailer was sitting in My driveway From December 7th 2020 to June 19th 2021 The restrictions were lifted on June 15th 2021, does this makes sense to You?
And yes You are right I should have ask for the old parts, but I am a trusty person and I didn't gave a thought that something was wrong, I know that mistakes happen, but this kind of mistakes are negligent because this is a safety issue.
And NO! I didn't have an accident I was able to stop and avoid collision with another vehicle as it says in My original Post.

You guys please read before judging or assuming.

Thanks for Your reply.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:55 PM   #13

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
And NO! I didn't have an accident I was able to stop and avoid collision with another vehicle as it says in My original Post.

You guys please read before judging or assuming.
Quote:
After this service when I applied the brakes My Trailer didn't brake at all and I almost kill Myself with My wife in an intersection in a collision with other vehicle.
In your opening post you wrote there was "a collision with another vehicle."

If you had said "near collision" that would be different, but you didn't, you said "a collision with another vehicle."

Perry
Old 06-24-2021, 07:07 PM   #14

I also note that between your posts one and five you went from problem solving to accusing this highly-rated shop of dishonesty, which isn't supporting evidence for your claim that you approached the shop in a calm manner.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Quote:
Hello:
I took My Escape 15' for service and installation of a new LP detector and fridge inspection to a reputable shop recommended broadly here in the North Shore, going downhill all the way from home to the shop My trailer brakes were responding like a champion, after delivering My trailer the technician called Me to ask Me if I wanted to have an inspection of My brakes, I responded that it doesn't hurt and I commented that My brakes were inspected recently and were found without fault, that after the inspection very few Ks were put in to My trailer, the technician inspected My brakes and called Me again saying that My trailer needed a whole New Brake assembly, trusting in the recommendations and good things I heard about this shop I responded to the technician "please go ahead and replace all You need safety is above everything"

Let Me stress out again, in My way to the shop MY trailer brakes were responding like a champion.
My Brakes in My 2016 Toyota 4 Runner Trail edition are new replaced in February 2021 the whole thing, and brakes feel very reliable.
what went wrong? what is wrong? quick connector? Magnets?, the wiring looks like new and is covered by foam insulation beside of being protected by a hose on top,
Any Ideas?

Thanks In advance.
——————————————————————————————————-

Ignore the nasty responses, glad all are safe and there’s no damage done.
I would take it somewhere else and move on with your day.
Competent decent service is getting harder to find, but when you find a good shop I always like to say thank you with extra cash.
That attitude they gave you tells you not to give them another dime.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The shop that has done my vehicle brakes and a lot of other work for me over the past 35 years, has a policy to put the parts changed in a box and asks if you want them. They also point out where you were at on the wear factor. When my kids were in school and college I would drive my/their car when I took it for gas or an errand. If the brakes didn’t feel right I’d take it in and tell them to check the brakes or if the miles were getting up there I’d just order the brake job. Often my guy would tell me I could have made another 6 moths or whatever but I’d always tell him it was a car my kids drove. “Probably good to get them done then” he’d always say. Looking at the parts and putting new trailer brakes through their paces when the job is done has always been an affirmation of proper adjustment. All four wheels on the tandem axle units should slide on gravel when manually activated and there shouldn’t be any side to side pull.
Glad nobody was hurt.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-24-2021, 08:00 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 E19
Sometimes it can take several stops for the new brake shoes to seat themselves against the old drums, assuming that's what you got. The drums have been made slightly larger inner diameter by the wear, and the new shoes may only contact the drums in a smaller patch than your old shoes did. Also, sometimes there's a bit of coating on the new assembly that might have to burn off. Even if the drums were also brand new, a wear-in time is often necessary for good, grabby braking.

First thing I do after brake work (or any time the shop has had the drums off for any reason) is to test the brakes in the parking lot before I leave the place, and readjust the controller if needed. If I have any concerns, I'm still there and can go back in to ask the folks. Through past experience this is what I've learned to do; I've towed trailers hundreds of thousands of miles.

I would not be quick to accuse the shop of anything under the circumstances you describe.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
——————————————————————————————————-

Ignore the nasty responses

Ignore responses from those who have never used this shop and do not know the owners.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That's an awfully aggressive response, even if you don't know the shop.
My bad, I missed the timeline. And I did wonder why the OP did not do a few checks himself, but I did not express it.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Sometimes it can take several stops for the new brake shoes to seat themselves against the old drums, assuming that's what you got. The drums have been made slightly larger inner diameter by the wear, and the new shoes may only contact the drums in a smaller patch than your old shoes did. Also, sometimes there's a bit of coating on the new assembly that might have to burn off. Even if the drums were also brand new, a wear-in time is often necessary for good, grabby braking.
Many don’t realize that new brakes need burnishing. Attached is the actual procedure from Dexter’s Service manual.
Attached Thumbnails
734FB0F9-DA93-4FC9-9417-CD2A74535C89.jpg  
Closed Thread