Winter lithium battery removal - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2023, 07:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2023 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Kessenich View Post
I also have a 2023 5.0 and I was told by ETI to shut the MPPT controller off in the Victron app for the MPPT controller before disconnecting the batteries. If you do this you do not have to worry about covering the panels. If you aren't sure where in the app to do this I'm sure myself or someone else can post a picture, just let us know.
A bit of help would be appreciated, thanks.
dunnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 08:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Best practice is always to install a physical dipole dc disconnect breaker between the panels and the controller.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 08:36 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE Vogel View Post
Whether it is necessary to disconnect the solar panels or not when batteries are disconnected depends upon two things: the Open Circuit Voltage of the solar panels, and the Maximum Input Voltage of the charge controller. If the Open Circuit Voltage is less than the Maximum Input Voltage, it is not necessary to disconnect the solar panels.
The Open Circuit Voltage is considerably greater than the Operating Voltage of a solar panel. Sometimes solar charge controllers are installed that are OK with the operating voltage, but not OK with the open circuit voltage. As long as batteries are installed, the Operating Voltage is what the charge controller receives. When the batteries are disconnected and therefore no load on the solar panels, the Open Circuit Voltage is what the charge controller receives.
The solar panel Operating Voltage and Open Circuit Voltage, as well as the charge controller Maximum Input Voltage will all be listed in their specification sheets.

I've never seen a solar setup where the controller can't handle the open circuit voltage. My Victron 100/30 controller has a maximum open circuit PV of 100V, but my 360W panel has a max voltage of about 43V, and a max power of about 36V at 10 amps.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 12:03 PM   #24
JLG

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C (new to us in 2023)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE Vogel View Post
Whether it is necessary to disconnect the solar panels or not when batteries are disconnected depends upon two things: the Open Circuit Voltage of the solar panels, and the Maximum Input Voltage of the charge controller. If the Open Circuit Voltage is less than the Maximum Input Voltage, it is not necessary to disconnect the solar panels.
The Open Circuit Voltage is considerably greater than the Operating Voltage of a solar panel. Sometimes solar charge controllers are installed that are OK with the operating voltage, but not OK with the open circuit voltage. As long as batteries are installed, the Operating Voltage is what the charge controller receives. When the batteries are disconnected and therefore no load on the solar panels, the Open Circuit Voltage is what the charge controller receives.
The solar panel Operating Voltage and Open Circuit Voltage, as well as the charge controller Maximum Input Voltage will all be listed in their specification sheets.

Hello -- thank you very much for this information. I have a follow-up question: Would carefully/fully covering up the solar panel suffice to "disconnect" it for this purpose? [Pardon my ignorance, we have a new-to-us 2017 21C with one solar panel combined with 2 lithium batteries plus serious ignorance of the entire system overall. We are working to get all set up for winter in Minnesota because we are leaving the country until mid-December and want to care for our new travel partner properly yet have not had time to work thru what is a steep learning curve for us.]
J. L. Geurts
JLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery removal, winterizing