wow- solar blew off! - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #141

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I too used the 3m tape and the Dicor like Ross did. I used the ETI provided "L" brackets and stainless steel self taping #14 screws for the connection to the solar panel. I also marked the location of the bracket with a pencil. Then for the prep I started with a Scotch Brite pad (as indicated from 3m) and then I followed up with acetone. This gave me a surface that was oil free and had some "tooth" to give the tape a surface that it could really hold onto. I did that same with the surface of the aluminum "L" bracket. Then of course covered with Dicor.
I had major reservations with drilling holes in the roof of my trailer and this method seemed like a good alternative.
Anyway it is very solid and should hold for years to come
Bill.
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #142

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
wow- solar blew off!

Urethane is what holds your windshield in place in the event your vehicle rolls. When changing a windshield you have to cut the urethane to remove it and there are special tools to do this.
This same product is all that is used to hold the massive one piece glass windshields in the class A motor homes and you only use a small bead to attach it to the pinch weld.

Cheers
Doug
Old 06-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #143

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
FWIW - I went ahead and drilled holes in my roof and installed the solar panel brackets supplied by ETI. A scary ordeal but they sent a big tube of sealant too so I made sure I used it smartly.

After coming home in rain and 34 degree weather in November 2015 I noticed dripping in my upper cabinets, coming from all the bolts. Pretty sure it was just condensation due to the bolts getting so cold. Have not noticed any leaking in warm weather, including last night when I stood in my kitchen eating ice cream watching rain pour through the 14-foot high wood-paneled ceiling of my house!

I'll be dealing with that tomorrow as well as finding a body shop to get my tow vehicle fixed for the next trip. A deer hit me Friday night. When it rains, it pours.

20,690 miles on my little trailer in 2 years 3 months!
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #144

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I've used Proflex RV on vertical surfaces, windows and such, and Dicor on horizontals. To me Dicor flows better, probably too much for side walls.

I was trying to think why you need something like Dicor if you haven't penetrated the roof as in Ross's install. Looks nice but does it serve a purpose? Does VHB tape lose it's hold if it gets wet?

If you are making roof penetrations, a layer of Eternabond under the mounts might be worth considering before drilling. Then Dicor over the whole foot to keep out water.
AM solar told me Dicor over the feet after you have prepared and used 3 M to attach brackets to roof . It is to keep water from degrading the 3 M tape . I used Dicor over all the exterior screws when I installed my electric fan in bath . It self levels and stays white . Easy to work with . The Proflex is not that easy to work with but you need to use on verticle surfaces .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #145

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
I've used Proflex RV on vertical surfaces, windows and such, and Dicor on horizontals. To me Dicor flows better, probably too much for side walls.

I was trying to think why you need something like Dicor if you haven't penetrated the roof as in Ross's install. Looks nice but does it serve a purpose? Does VHB tape lose it's hold if it gets wet?

If you are making roof penetrations, a layer of Eternabond under the mounts might be worth considering before drilling. Then Dicor over the whole foot to keep out water.
Bob- the reason AM Solar uses it is to protect the tape from UV and moisture, both of which would degrade the VHB tape.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #146

[QUOTE=Rossue;202406]
Quote:

If you are making roof penetrations, a layer of Eternabond under the mounts might be worth considering before drilling. Then Dicor over the whole foot to keep out water.[/QUOTE
Bob- the reason AM Solar uses it is to protect the tape from UV and moisture, both of which would degrade the VHB tape.
Ross , better said then me . The heat is getting to my brain , I think . Pat
Old 06-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #147

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks
Old 06-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #148

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
FWIW - I went ahead and drilled holes in my roof and installed the solar panel brackets supplied by ETI. A scary ordeal but they sent a big tube of sealant too so I made sure I used it smartly.

After coming home in rain and 34 degree weather in November 2015 I noticed dripping in my upper cabinets, coming from all the bolts. Pretty sure it was just condensation due to the bolts getting so cold. Have not noticed any leaking in warm weather, including last night when I stood in my kitchen eating ice cream watching rain pour through the 14-foot high wood-paneled ceiling of my house!

I'll be dealing with that tomorrow as well as finding a body shop to get my tow vehicle fixed for the next trip. A deer hit me Friday night. When it rains, it pours.

20,690 miles on my little trailer in 2 years 3 months!
Sorry for your 3 strikes in a row. I did the bolts thru the roof on my 21, but the caps were exposed in the cabin vs the overhead cabinets.. Never had any condensation issues you are having in the cabinets. with winter condensation issues, air helps. So I'm thinking perhaps a vent will stop the dripping by allowing air inside the cabinet.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #149

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Thanks for the comments on sealant. Given that I am terrible at caulking, I think that the Dicor may be best for me to use. Now just need to decide if I should bolt them or use VHB.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:07 PM   #150
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
For those that have through bolts, would painting the bolts with something like Dip-It help with the condensation issues?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:15 PM   #151

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
For those that have through bolts, would painting the bolts with something like Dip-It help with the condensation issues?
Our factory installed solar has a large thick caulk "blob" on top of the mounts, that should provide some insulation besides water resistance.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:53 AM   #152

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
That's a good idea. Might try that.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #153
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I know less than zero about solar. But on several all-molded towable Facebook groups, this panel is really being chatted up. Does anyone see a waste of money? Or, might work well? Small footprint and lightweight. I realize a controller needs to be purchased separately...

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Sunp...2Aentries%2A=0
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #154
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
100 watts and small and portable, looks to be a decent one. And it's monocrystalline for better output. They claim 22% efficiency, which is quite good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #155

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't see how you prop the panels up to the correct angle. It does say, " A practical carrying handle is available easy to carry and use and with 4 attached holes can be easily fasten or adjust the angle to the sunlight".
So, that means you have to buy a controller and this 'carrying handle' as accessories??
Old 06-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #156

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Tips on using VHB tape

I'm no expert but here's a few things I've learned when using VHB tape to mount solar panels to the roof your Escape.

Choose the right VHB tape, many choices.
Prepare the surface with a good cleaning, scuffing . Lots of discussion here all seems like good advise.
Tempeture needs to be 50- 90 degrees F Keep out of direct sunlight, It's to easy to exceed max temp.
Seal the bracket from moisture, This part is really important . VHB tape exposed to moisture will lead to failure. Dicore and Sikaflex are used by many with good results
Apply slight pressure after installing. Put a piece of plywood on the panel and stack a few bricks.
Allow 24-48 hrs to Cure before subjecting to wind loads.
Mount the panels as low as possible. This can conflict with panel shading by air conditioner, vents etc.

Remember . I belive the panel failures that were reported here was that the bond was good from the roof to the brackets but the gelcoat separated causing the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9044.jpg   IMG_9027.jpg  
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #157

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
wow- solar blew off!

Quote:
I know less than zero about solar. But on several all-molded towable Facebook groups, this panel is really being chatted up. Does anyone see a waste of money? Or, might work well? Small footprint and lightweight. I realize a controller needs to be purchased separately...

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Sunp...2Aentries%2A=0
I'm looking at an 80W folding flat panel:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142386777851
80W Watts Elfeland Sunpower Folding Solar Panel Battery Charger For RV Boat Home

I like this because
1) when folded it's small enough to fit vertically inside my wardrobe.
2) There are separate cables for each panel allowing me to wire the individual 40W panels in series or parallel to best integrate with the eventual flat panels on the roof. (I'll have a MPPT charge controller.)
3) I'm leery about folding panels with internal wiring across the fold because I don't know how long before that breaks from flexing. (This may not be an issue.)

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #158

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Same as Glenn, I see no legs.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #159

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 build Sept
Zamp 80 Watt Solar

I used the Zamp 80 Watt for several years with my Teardrop trailer and worked great but there are drawbacks compared to permanently installed:

- Can grow legs and walk away
- Orientation has to be re-adjusted during the day
- Storage and lugging around

I'v order 160 watt with the 21 I've ordered an hopefully it doesn't blow away. While orientation won't be ideal it will be available from sunup to sundown with no drain on my diminished mental capacity.

Still, if you don't have or didn't order the roof-top solar, zamp makes a good product.
twotwinpeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotwinpeaks View Post
I used the Zamp 80 Watt for several years with my Teardrop trailer and worked great but there are drawbacks compared to permanently installed:

- Can grow legs and walk away
- Orientation has to be re-adjusted during the day
- Storage and lugging around

I'v order 160 watt with the 21 I've ordered an hopefully it doesn't blow away. While orientation won't be ideal it will be available from sunup to sundown with no drain on my diminished mental capacity.

Still, if you don't have or didn't order the roof-top solar, zamp makes a good product.
Thick cable lock to trailer frame . Put away at night . Pat