Hitch recommendation for a 5th wheel? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2017, 07:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Parkliner
Hitch recommendation for a 5th wheel?

We're looking at buying a new 5.0 TA over the next year or so. I want to get the hitch before I head for Washington. What hitch are they installing for these 5th wheel rigs? As long as I have the correct make and model hitch, I will get one for my truck and install it myself.

Thanks for any help!

Frank

frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I installed a B&W patriot, excellent hitch, very solid easy to use unit. Down side is its fairly heavy.

Fwiw, I had a local truck performance shop order it for me, saved a big shipping charge.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 PM   #3

Like this one? https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...waAq5pEALw_wcB

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I installed a B&W patriot, excellent hitch, very solid easy to use unit. Down side is its fairly heavy.

Fwiw, I had a local truck performance shop order it for me, saved a big shipping charge.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
A lot depends on your rigs bed length as to whether you'll need a slider or not. As a general rule, best to have the hitch right over the rear axle. You'll get plenty of opinions here from standard 5th wheel hitches to gooseneck bed ball mounted Andersen hitches. All have merit, me?, I got a 3/4T diesel and have a 15K sliding bar hitch that is fairly easy to take apart in two parts and put away, leaving the bed rails. I installed it myself and have put 8-10K miles pulling my TA with it. No muss, no fuss, no play in it yet and it's simple and inexpensive...
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017
Buy in Canada

Get it at Trademasters Automotive in Chilliwack. An expert crew, great customer service, pay in CAD$. Anderson Ultimate hitch was my choice because it's excellent and lightweight.
They have a special relationship with Escape and will recommend what works best to marry your truck to your Escape model.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
Get it at Trademasters Automotive in Chilliwack. An expert crew, great customer service, pay in CAD$. Anderson Ultimate hitch was my choice because it's excellent and lightweight.
I had a brand new Ford F-150, the 5.0TA was a new model. I could have bought something cheaper and something local... but Reace had the same size bed in his F-150 towing a 5.0TA and Trademasters KNEW where the hitch needed to be placed. I wasn't about to risk a disaster or a bunch of extra holes in my brand new truck to save a few bucks. Trademasters installed what I needed

For me, it was a one-and-done. Not a do-over, do-over, do-over
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 1961 Airstream and a 2017 5.0 TA
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

A BW hitch is an excellent choice and you don't have to worry about using safety chains in some states. No slop in the hook up, much quieter. Just one guy's opinion.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:02 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
We're looking at buying a new 5.0 TA over the next year or so. I want to get the hitch before I head for Washington. What hitch are they installing for these 5th wheel rigs? As long as I have the correct make and model hitch, I will get one for my truck and install it myself.

Thanks for any help!

Frank
Hi: frank_a... If you can make it over to Niagara Wine Escape at the Falls Sept 15- 17th. you will be able to see at least 5 different 5.0TA's and their respective tow set ups. You'd be most welcome to camp with us or visit for the day at the Riverside Park& Campgrounds.Riverside Park Campground and Motel Niagara Falls Ontario Canada Call 905-382-2204 to make a reservation for camping. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:15 AM   #9

Darn Alf! I'll be near Olcott all that weekend manning a booth for the Clan Campbell at the Niagara Celtic Heritage Festival. I can't see getting away for the Niagara Wine Escape Rally. Hmmmm....

Frank
Old 08-25-2017, 06:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Mine's not a slider, just the straight 16k patriot. They have it on the site at etrailer.com