Is AWD/4WD Really a Requirement as a Tow Vehicle? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2023, 11:05 AM   #61

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I owned a 2007 Honda S2000 White with Red/Black Interior. Sold it after 47K miles and have regretted ever since. It was a blast to drive.

I was once pulled over doing 146 MPH and the State Patrolman spent an hour with me on the side of the road talking about all the details of the car. He was very impressed and let me drive away without a ticket or taking me to jail for that speed.
In my very early days, 160 mph was a fairly common occurrence on race bikes. I bought the S2000 after selling a Triumph Speed Triple and a BMW R1150R which were my last street motorcycles (I bought a GasGas trials bike in 2018).

After driving a friend’s S2000 in 2005, I decided that I could reduce my prospects of getting turned in front of on a a bike by adding two wheels and not really lose any performance, So I bought a 4 wheeled motorcycle in the form of the S2000. Frequently cruised across the Nevada desert at 140+ for cautious stretches (when I did the same on my Honda Interceptor, I would pivot one of the rear view mirrors up to watch for airborne speed checkers). Kept the S2000 6 or 7 years until we decided that we had too many vehicles and it was getting fewer miles driven each year.

Some regret but it is fleeting and I easily distract my self to other stuff.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 12:24 PM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
In my very early days, 160 mph was a fairly common occurrence on race bikes. I bought the S2000 after selling a Triumph Speed Triple and a BMW R1150R which were my last street motorcycles (I bought a GasGas trials bike in 2018). ..

Some regret but it is fleeting and I easily distract my self to other stuff.
I've heard and read a lot about the S2000, but alas, I have very little interest in cars and trucks. To me they are utilitarian tools to get me from point A to point B. Motorcycles are another story, however. I remember being pulled over outside of Green River, UT for going 153mph in a 55 on a Kawasaki ZRX1100. What's 100mph between friends? When the police officer got out of his car, the look on his face told me I would probably be in shackles breaking rocks by day's end. But that changed when I took off my helmet and he saw my gray beard and hair. We talked for a bit, told me to keep the speed down and be careful.

The next day I rode from Moab to Albuquerque averaging 85mph with one gas stop and a restroom break.

I'm now well situated in the slow lane and enjoying life. No regrets, just enjoying new experiences and the occasional putt on my Bonneville.
SageRpod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 12:32 PM   #63

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Wondering what part of “In our world, it certainly IS a requirement” is anything but speaking for himself.

The only 2 wheel drive vehicle we have purchased in the past 35 years was a Honda S2000 and it lived in the garage during the winter. We live on a steep road up a ridge that gets sufficient snowfall to cause sphincter clenching to any 2 wheel drive drivers no matter what their level of social media stated driving expertise.
Quote:
I owned a 2007 Honda S2000 White with Red/Black Interior. Sold it after 47K miles and have regretted ever since. It was a blast to drive.

I was once pulled over doing 146 MPH and the State Patrolman spent an hour with me on the side of the road talking about all the details of the car. He was very impressed and let me drive away without a ticket or taking me to jail for that speed.
Love my '06 S2000 purchased it in 2011 with just 6000 miles on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	413730_10151919056675693_1643102335_o.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	72011

Name:	10493019_10154419199585693_1792121126275046604_o.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	72012

Name:	10486029_10154466624020693_5244340839330885418_o.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	72013

Mid-Ohio has S2000 owners from Ohio and neighboring states carry the drivers for the HONDA INDY 200 at Mid-Ohio, and the NASCAR Xfinity Series Race at Mid-Ohio for the parade lap.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:13 PM   #64

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post

The next day I rode from Moab to Albuquerque averaging 85mph with one gas stop and a restroom break.

I'm now well situated in the slow lane and enjoying life. No regrets, just enjoying new experiences and the occasional putt on my Bonneville.
Times do change. I have memories of coming back to Vancouver from a sports car banquet in Portland. Left after midnight and was back in just over 3 hours. Now it takes that to drive to Seattle.

My summer car is a very distinctive high performance car. Every hot dogger around that pulls up beside me at a light wants to prove that they can out drag me. I got that kind of thing out of my system on the race track when I was young. I motor off very conservatively and they predictably blast off. I can see ahead that there's a red light and back off the gas and roll on towards it arriving long after the hot dogger has come to a stop. Don't know if they think that gives them bragging rights.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 04:22 PM   #65

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Times change. There’s a joke about an old bull and some young bulls looking down on a pasture of nice heifers. Kinda like the drag race between lights.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-13-2023, 05:34 PM   #66

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Had lots of fun with this car.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0971.jpg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 05:51 PM   #67

To stay on topic.

I have had several 4x4's of the years and only used 4-wheel drive on the occasional snowy days and a few of wet slimy hills at boat ramps. Oh, and a gravel road that was washed out heading to a good fishing spot.

For me, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:01 PM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
For the first ten years traveling with my Escape I used a 2013 Toyota Tacoma with 4WD. But it has street tires and street suspension. Here are three situations in which 4WD mattered one way or the other:

April 2017 - Thirteen inches of snow fell on my campsite at Hyde State Park in New Mexico. I had to go to Albuquerque on that day so I used the Taco's 4WD to take me down the mountain, through Santa Fe (which got seven inches) and onto I-25 down to ABQ. A Tacoma so equipped works *great* in snow.

April 2023 - I was camped at the Needles section of Canyonlands NP. I was constrained in my wandering there due to signs saying only serious off-road vehicles should use the many unpaved roads and trails. I figured even with 4WD my Taco with its street tires and street suspension (and 295,000+ miles) wouldn't cut the mustard so I didn't attempt anything off-pavement. I regret it as I'm sure I missed out on some nice scenery and good photographic opportunities.

July 2023 - I was traveling along the Extraterrestrial Highway in Nevada when I pulled off the road to photograph some Joshua trees. It wasn't obvious from the road but the shoulder where I pulled off was soft sand, and I sank into it. I had to use 4WD to get out. Otherwise I would have been stuck there until an ET beamed me up.

So my opinion is 4WD is nice to have but not absolutely necessary. With it (and the appropriate suspension) you can see more in the desert than you would be able to otherwise. If you decide to stick to 2WD, be careful when you pull off of the pavement. Or you might get abducted by aliens.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 10:06 PM   #69

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19 F1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
No comment. Still glad that I ordered 4x2 on my new truck.

Ron
I towed boats and launched them for years with 2wd. However, we have a steep gravel drive at our lake house and all new TVs have been 4wd/awd since.

I like having it 4wd non-paved campgrounds and access roads, but I haven’t needed it yet.
Dave Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 03:04 AM   #70

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... My current tug is 4X4 as I bought it used and the great majority of trucks out on the lots were so equipped. I have hwy. treads on it for smooth performance and only require the full 4X4 use occasionally. Freezing rain expected tomorrow and a trip to Tillsonberg to get the cats diabetic syrum supplies. The weather could make the trip dicey but necessary. Better to have the 4X4 and not need it than need it and not have it!!! Alf
North Shore of Lake Eriep.s. there is one car that will stay home in the freezing rain. 2020 MX5 Miata tucked in the garage. Summer cars & some aren't!!! Alf
escape artist
North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1050557.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 07:25 AM   #71

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I have read that AWD in combination with the ABS system required in cars can be used and is used by manufacturers to provide stability and in some cases, antisway control when pulling trailers. Ability to adjust power and braking to individual wheels in milliseconds is the reason.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 07:46 AM   #72

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
My tow is also my ski vehicle.
'nuff said.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 10:00 AM   #73

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:

I'm trying but not successfully to process this. Your cruising along at 146mph. Get pulled over by the HWP. The trooper decides to socialize with you on the shoulder of, (maybe an Interstate highway) for one hour? Then merrily waves goodbye, and says 'have a nice day'. Something like that occurred?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 10:21 AM   #74

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
I'm trying but not successfully to process this. Your cruising along at 146mph. Get pulled over by the HWP. The trooper decides to socialize with you on the shoulder of, (maybe an Interstate highway) for one hour? Then merrily waves goodbye, and says 'have a nice day'. Something like that occurred?
I can relate. My similar experience was in the middle of the Nevada desert. My theory is that some troopers who pull moonscape duty have an appreciation for high speed cruising when there are no other vehicles around for miles.

In my case, the trooper approached my car saying, “That thing looks like it is going 150 miles an hour just sitting there”.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 12:17 PM   #75

Quote:
Yep! I thought I was going to jail without a doubt.

This was on I-55 South of Cape Girardeau, MO and North of Sikeston, MO where the highway is straight as an arrow and very lightly populated. I was heading Southbound and I just caught a glimpse of him heading Northbound. If you've ever driven exceptionally fast your field of vision narrows a lot and I was lucky to even recognize him.

With that, I let off the throttle, turned on my flashers and slowed down to pull over. I had time to set my keys up on the convertible top, take out my driver license & insurance card and then held both hands out of the window before he even pulled up. Honestly, at that point I was just trying not to get beat up or shot before having cuffs put on.

I think that is what kept me out of jail because it quickly de-escalated the situation, showed that I was freely admitting fault and assured the officer that I was not a threat. He said when he saw my flashers turn on he put down this mic and could then see I had dramatically slowed down. Otherwise, he said there would have been a hornets nest there.

It didn't hurt that he was a serious gear head himself and had heard stories about the S2000.

Before he left he had a good talking with me and reminded me it was my very lucky day.
Old 12-23-2023, 01:35 PM   #76

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Yep! I thought I was going to jail without a doubt.

This was on I-55 South of Cape Girardeau, MO and North of Sikeston, MO where the highway is straight as an arrow and very lightly populated. I was heading Southbound and I just caught a glimpse of him heading Northbound. If you've ever driven exceptionally fast your field of vision narrows a lot and I was lucky to even recognize him.

With that, I let off the throttle, turned on my flashers and slowed down to pull over. I had time to set my keys up on the convertible top, take out my driver license & insurance card and then held both hands out of the window before he even pulled up. Honestly, at that point I was just trying not to get beat up or shot before having cuffs put on.

I think that is what kept me out of jail because it quickly de-escalated the situation, showed that I was freely admitting fault and assured the officer that I was not a threat. He said when he saw my flashers turn on he put down this mic and could then see I had dramatically slowed down. Otherwise, he said there would have been a hornets nest there.

It didn't hurt that he was a serious gear head himself and had heard stories about the S2000.

Before he left he had a good talking with me and reminded me it was my very lucky day.
Cool story. You are one lucky man!
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 03:46 PM   #77

Quote:
Cool story. You are one lucky man!
Since then I've been a Speed Limit kind of guy. Not only would it have sucked to be put in jail (never have been) but the cost of that entire event would have been quite expensive. Yikes!