New Tow Vehicle Buying Experience - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2023, 02:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21 C owner :-D/ '24 RAM 1500 Limited
New Tow Vehicle Buying Experience

My wife and I plunked coin down to buy a new pickup yesterday, which I drove home last night. [This post isn't exactly being typed to announce our new TV, but as long as I'm mentioning it....We bought a new 2024 RAM 1500 5.7L 5'7" Limited last night!!!]

This post is more to ask others what your new vehicle buying experience was like when you bought your last new car/pickup/TV. Last night's buying experience was mostly very smooth. It was when we walked into the finance manager's office that that happy go lucky feeling slipped away to be replaced by a nagging feeling that the friendly appearing manager was actually a vampire ready to pounce on my jugular vein the second I let my guard down.

It's the finance manager's job to persuade <con!> me into buying expensive addons that I either do not need (nor want) or can get for much less money elsewhere. Up for grabs were the extended mechanical & electrical coverage for $5750.00; the Perma Plate interior & exterior protection $1299.00; lifetime oil changes $1299, and Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP) $995.00. The vampire began with the small addons in order to warm me up for the expensive M&E coverage. I declined the smaller addons even though he tried to change my mind 3 or 4 times with each addon. By the time he got to the expensive M&E coverage, both my wife and I could see he wasn't especially happy with the way things were going. [Perhaps he isn't accustomed to running into brick walls?] Anyway, he spent a solid 8 minutes trying everything in the book to get me to crack and sign up for the very expensive coverage.

Finally, in desperation, he offered me the 'employee discount of $2775.00' that no one can refuse! I hadn't been expecting the discount, so I felt a tug of temptation to take him up on the 'special' discount. He must have seen the momentary weakness in my eyes because he fired salvo after salvo of 'what ifs' and 'whys' at me to get me to capitulate. That's when I pulled out my trump card and looked over at my silent wife to complain to her <in Mandarin Chinese!> how irritating this vampire was, and that I wished he'd just take "NO!" for an answer. She answered back with a very supportive reply that proved she was with me 100%. And that's all it took...He couldn't understand nor compete with our private conversation. He knew he had lost the battle, so he moved on to the signing of documents with only a hint of exasperation in his voice.

I hated that experience. I know I squirmed in my seat during part of the process. I also know it's the finance manager's job to browbeat/con/coerce suckers like me to pay for very lucrative addons, and I know he's good at that, and that he doesn't lose very often. If he lost all the time, he'd be replaced.

So...What vampire experiences have you put up with in the finance manager's office? I'm genuinely interested to learn from others now that I survived unscathed.

Michael
mresseguie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 02:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mresseguie View Post
My wife and I plunked coin down to buy a new pickup yesterday, which I drove home last night. [This post isn't exactly being typed to announce our new TV, but as long as I'm mentioning it....We bought a new 2024 RAM 1500 5.7L 5'7" Limited last night!!!]

This post is more to ask others what your new vehicle buying experience was like when you bought your last new car/pickup/TV. Last night's buying experience was mostly very smooth. It was when we walked into the finance manager's office that that happy go lucky feeling slipped away to be replaced by a nagging feeling that the friendly appearing manager was actually a vampire ready to pounce on my jugular vein the second I let my guard down.

It's the finance manager's job to persuade <con!> me into buying expensive addons that I either do not need (nor want) or can get for much less money elsewhere. Up for grabs were the extended mechanical & electrical coverage for $5750.00; the Perma Plate interior & exterior protection $1299.00; lifetime oil changes $1299, and Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP) $995.00. The vampire began with the small addons in order to warm me up for the expensive M&E coverage. I declined the smaller addons even though he tried to change my mind 3 or 4 times with each addon. By the time he got to the expensive M&E coverage, both my wife and I could see he wasn't especially happy with the way things were going. [Perhaps he isn't accustomed to running into brick walls?] Anyway, he spent a solid 8 minutes trying everything in the book to get me to crack and sign up for the very expensive coverage.

Finally, in desperation, he offered me the 'employee discount of $2775.00' that no one can refuse! I hadn't been expecting the discount, so I felt a tug of temptation to take him up on the 'special' discount. He must have seen the momentary weakness in my eyes because he fired salvo after salvo of 'what ifs' and 'whys' at me to get me to capitulate. That's when I pulled out my trump card and looked over at my silent wife to complain to her <in Mandarin Chinese!> how irritating this vampire was, and that I wished he'd just take "NO!" for an answer. She answered back with a very supportive reply that proved she was with me 100%. And that's all it took...He couldn't understand nor compete with our private conversation. He knew he had lost the battle, so he moved on to the signing of documents with only a hint of exasperation in his voice.

I hated that experience. I know I squirmed in my seat during part of the process. I also know it's the finance manager's job to browbeat/con/coerce suckers like me to pay for very lucrative addons, and I know he's good at that, and that he doesn't lose very often. If he lost all the time, he'd be replaced.

So...What vampire experiences have you put up with in the finance manager's office? I'm genuinely interested to learn from others now that I survived unscathed.

Michael
Jeez...ya need shark repellant for some of these dealerships!...Congrats on your new TV
Old 12-01-2023, 03:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Arrow look forward ....

Quote:
.... This post is more to ask others what your new vehicle buying experience was like when you bought your last new car/pickup/TV. .....
Sorry to hear of the hassles but I hope you enjoy many smiles with your new RAM.

Only because you asked, here's the tale of my (and other folk's) diametrically opposed, never-a-mention-of-add-ons, zero pressure, 100% positive, best ever new vehicle buying experience: IF considering a 2024 F150 purchase ....

Coincidentally, the subject of that thread, Granger Motors, is also a RAM dealership. They clearly work on an entirely different business model from that you experienced, the 'corporate culture' top-to-bottom is entirely different, is 100% low-stress customer satisfaction oriented, and that has proven profitable for them. I spent ~5 minutes total in the friendly Finance Manager's office signing pre-prepared documents with no surprises and was on my way. Nope, not the stereotypical car dealership.

Again, Michael, sorry to hear it was such a dreadful experience but now you've got your truck. I sincerely suggest you put the bad behind you, don't dwell on it, un-subscribe from this forum thread, and look forward with optimism to enjoying your new RAM for many years to come.

Life's too short and we can't change the past.

Just for your consideration, Have Fun!
Old 12-01-2023, 03:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I have had both salesmen and finance guys try many techniques when I’m buying a new vehicle. About a half a dozen times over the years I just stood up and walked out without saying anything. There are very few car dealers foolish enough to try to stop me and at those dealerships I just never went back. If people are not nice, exhibit pressure or doubt I have the money to be shopping for whatever I vote with my dollars. My latest purchase was seamless and the finance guy said to me on the way back to his office “They have a camera on us so I gotta go through the spiel but when you say not interested I’ll move on.”
We wrote the check on a Friday, they still hadn’t cashed it when we picked up the vehicle the next week. I’d drive to a small town dealership 80 miles from home anytime to avoid mega dealerships and dealers with big advertising budgets. I’m my home town they recently had a commercial encouraging people to sell them used cars. Their hook line was “sell or trade, either way you get paid.” It didn’t take long for my Burma Shave genes to kick in on that one. Slightly modified it made more sense and was closer to the truth. “Sell or Trade, either way you get laid.”
Iowa Dave
Old 12-01-2023, 04:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Gee, Dave, you're only ~120 miles from Granger (IA) Motors Ford / RAM / Chrysler / Jeep. Maybe their advertising budget doesn't cover your area, you might enjoy checking 'em out if buying a brand they sell.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
dui ni you hachu

There's something called the wince factor. They keep adding unexpected stuff on until they see you wincing. Then they know that they've reached the absolute limit.

I hate visits to car dealerships. We used an agent a couple of times and that seemed to work well but then on another vehicle we weren't happy with the agent's quote so my wife, the negotiator, went to work on the dealer. Told the agent that she'd gotten a lower price that he couldn't match.

Hopefully neither of us will have to go through that experience any time soon. Enjoy the new TV.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 04:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’m aware of them, they have had a Ford dealership in Grainger for a lot of years and they sold Fords there when I was at Iowa State in the late 60s. Glad you had a good experience With them
Iowa Dave
Old 12-01-2023, 06:13 PM   #8

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We recently bought a new car for my wife. A Subaru Forester.

When the Finance Scammer started his scamming on the essential add-ons I held my hand up and said firmly, "NO!". He seemed a bit taken back and asked what I would pay for the extended scammy things. I said $1 to which he said "Oh, so now we're negotiating."

With that I stood up, walked out of the room and sat down in front of the big shot floor sales manger and said "Let's renegotiate our deal".

After my salesman and the finance guy completed their apology tour I bought the car for $1,000 less than I had originally negotiated and did not take the extended scammy things.

"Slimy" is the new car buying process. Don't be afraid to be just as "Slimy". It's just part of the deal.

I hope you enjoy your new ride.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:24 PM   #9

Trailer: ‘Tranquility Base’. 2023 5.0.
Think I got very lucky when i custom ordered my F150 back in Feb 2022.

My local dealer honoured their trade in quote 4 months after that fact (when my truck arrived end of June). My trade even had a $1300 mechanical issue that had developed while i was waiting. Fessed up to the salesman when I came in pick up the truck. They didn’t care, I was expecting them to knock the repair cost off the trade quote but they didn’t.

The finance manager wasn’t pushy. She offered me all the standard stuff I was expecting. I did actually take the extended warranty so she was probably happy with that. That was the only add on.

I went in fully prepared, knew all the figures/cost before hand, partially financed the purchase. I think dealers are used to buyers that only care about the monthly payment.

It was a very pain free process. Totally unexpected!
Old 12-02-2023, 07:58 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Hope you enjoy many, many miles in your new TV. We try to by our vehicles through the Costco Auto Program. We always seem to get a fair price but still have to do with the pressure sale of add ons.

Remember one of the most powerful words in any negotiation, and life for that matter, is "NO".
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 04:47 PM   #11

Trailer: N/A
My experience buying a Ram 1500 last April was likewise not very pleasant. I hate when they take advantage of my politeness to make me sit through a sales pitch. Anyway, my approach is that I am in the driver’s seat because they want *my* cash, which is in *my* pocket. And with that in mind, I turn into Dr. No.
claude6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 01:48 AM   #12

Great replies! Thanks, everyone.

I had thought about being 'tough' and haggling for a lower price, but I was concerned that this was happening on the last day in November. Both RAM (Stellantis) and dealerships dropped their prices by $11k, $12k, even $13+k of the MSRP in November and it seemed that the great prices might disappear come December, so I didn't demand an even lower price because I didn't want to lose the $13+k discount that was staring me in the face.

Of course, here we are on December 2, and the same pickups that were priced at $70,490 in November are now $1,000 cheaper. While I do fee bad, I can't blame myself too much. How often do I buy a car? Once every 6 to 12+ years. I simply don't pay much attention to yearly sales gimmicks.

Anyway, I can't complain too much. Just think of the poor schmuks who paid thousands more in October only to watch prices drop 10 to 13k overnight.

Oh, and I did start out by using Costco, but was told repeatedly that I would lose out on the big sale prices if I wanted the Costco discount. Was I suckered?
Old 12-03-2023, 06:40 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Fargo?

Fargo is a 1996 black comedy crime film by the Coen brothers, starring Frances McDormand as a pregnant police chief who investigates a triple homicide in Fargo, North Dakota. It won 2 Oscars.

There is a super-typical new car stealership scene in it with the manager upselling all the window tint, special paint coatings, premium floor mats, etc. and forcing it on a disabled person.
Sad, but true.
I've been lucky and not gotten the hard sell, but they do go thru their list of add-ons.
Laser etching of windows with Vehicle Identification Number to help in theft protection? That was a new one, awhile back.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 07:47 AM   #14
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Our last buying experience for our Toyota was a lot better. We found a dealer who deals in internet sales. In turn, they don't make a profit but sell in volume, therefore getting perks and $ from the manufacturer. We walked in knowing exactly what we were going to buy and how much it would cost. Ended up paying thousands less than Costco. No haggling and we only dealt with one person.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:03 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:

Oh, and I did start out by using Costco, but was told repeatedly that I would lose out on the big sale prices if I wanted the Costco discount. Was I suckered?
Hard to say. Unless a person goes back and tries to buy the same vehicle non-Costco approach, you'll never know. We have bought a total of 4 vehicles (including our 22 F150) through Costco in the past 10 years. In all four instances, we were directed to sales people that were dedicated to Fleet/Wholesale services. We didn't even set foot in the showroom. We did have to endure the whole sell-up routine at the end, though. One thing to note, when we bought our 2016 Nissan Frontier to tow our Rpod, we originally wanted a Tacoma (or at least Linda did, she was a Toyota gal back then but has since recovered ). When we started the process with Costco, they informed us there was not a single Toyota dealer in the greater Albuquerque/Santa Fe area that was participating in the Costco sales program. I would have to go to Roswell, NM. Ya, no thanks.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:23 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Michael

It's unfortunate you were under the time constraint but now you have your new truck, which I'm sure you'll enjoy.

As you are hearing, your experience is not unusual. That's why so many ppl say they hate car shopping and dealerships.

The worst experience we had in a dealership was when we were shopping for a new TV, before we decided on the 5.0TA, and were considered a Grand Cherokee. We got to the point of sitting down with the Finance Manager but his routine was so slimy we just got up and walked out. He called us later, whining about it and I pulled no punches in telling him why he lost the sale.

The best experiences we've had are at the small town, family-run dealership 40 minutes from our city where we've been buying our Toyotas since 1998. The finance guy says he'll tell us the options but there is absolutely no pressure to purchase them and we always leave with smiles on our faces, as it should be, I think.
Old 12-03-2023, 09:31 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Last time TV was in the title I thought it was tow vehicle. Nope Television.

So this time I was thinking Television….
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:34 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
Last time TV was in the title I thought it was tow vehicle. Nope Television.

So this time I was thinking Television….
Yeah, it's a PITA. So I changed it. And I'll try to pay attention and change any new titles to be more descriptive, IF the OP doesn't do it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah, it's a PITA. So I changed it. And I'll try to pay attention and change any new titles to be more descriptive, IF the OP doesn't do it.

My apologies. Until I started reading trailer forums, I didn't know that TV meant anything other than television. I used it here because I thought I was fitting in with the local dialect. Language acquisition can be challenging at times. [As a non-native Mandarin speaker, I made tons of mistakes over the last 37 years.] I'll be careful to not abbreviate it in the future.

Thank you for correcting it for me, Donna.

Michael
Old 12-03-2023, 05:01 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 21C -2020 and 2003 Aliner
Hi all i am including a great link i found informative and entertaining ... written about 2009 by a writer going undercover and working as a car salesman for two different dealers... it seems also to buy close to end of the year as the deals to get rid of inventory before the end of the year --- dealers get new inventory based on previous sales numbers ... just remember you are in control... i have gotten to almost closing the deal when i just got up and left.... they chased me down before leaving and met my terms.... just have comps from other dealers and internet... stick it to them!!! good use of the chinese option... my parents did the same with us kids but we some how figured it out... congrats on the new TV (tow vehicle) ... these forum users use alot of abbreviations which they assume we all understand so just ask .... enjoy the article

https://bluesoul.me/r/askcarsales/co...r-salesman.pdf
quidoi is offline   Reply With Quote