Definitive proof on Honda 2200 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2022, 08:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
Honda EU22001

Yes, the Honda 2200 works with the 11,000 BTU AC. The 2200 has an app that allows you to see what watts are being pulled per appliance. The 2200 has 1800 running watts. My AC only pulled about 1050 watts. Starts up fine, even did it with ECO. Coffee pot pulled 960 watts. The microwave is a power hog pulling about 1260 watts. So I ran the AC and coffee pot at the same time fine. Have to run the Micowave by itself. I looked at a Generac 3300. It would run the AC and Micro together but there's some extra weight and bulk to that unit
Regan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
AC

Ours runs the AC fine also but needs the neutral grounding plug and the soft start capacitor setup. That done, it’s a large benefit to sanity when four of our grandchildren all needed naps on hot August afternoons in a campground with out hookups. 4,3,2,1 in this photo, Aunt Teresa and Grandma Rita were due for a little shuteye too. PopPop went to town for some more generator gas and a shot and a pop.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
3404D7FE-5A9C-4083-A7E1-5E6826B7F7BB.jpg  
Old 09-30-2022, 08:40 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regan View Post
My AC only pulled about 1050 watts. Starts up fine, even did it with ECO.
That sounds low for the Dometic Penguin. What ambient temperature was this performed at? Higher temps will increase compressor head pressure which will increase your amps.
Old 10-01-2022, 08:57 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Love the "family picture" there, Dave..............
Old 12-27-2022, 04:21 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Just FYI, if two generators are used, the neutral bonding plug might not work. I have two Champions that, individually, tolerated the neutral bonding plug fine but when paralleled using Champion's adapter didn't like it much...

I have no idea if Hondas act the same but investigate if you plan to use two and not bypass the EMS. We bypassed the EMS without issue but would prefer to use it. We don't have much experience running AC off the generators so maybe we've been lucky.
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 07:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Just FYI, if two generators are used, the neutral bonding plug might not work. I have two Champions that, individually, tolerated the neutral bonding plug fine but when paralleled using Champion's adapter didn't like it much...

I have no idea if Hondas act the same but investigate if you plan to use two and not bypass the EMS. We bypassed the EMS without issue but would prefer to use it. We don't have much experience running AC off the generators so maybe we've been lucky.
Out of curiosity does your Champion parallel kit have connectors for neutral and hot that are both identical in type and color? I read on another forum that an owner either had an open ground or not depending on how they are plugged in to the two generators. Sounds odd that it could operate like this but I guess it’s possible. If you find a combination that works just mark the wires. The Honda kits have color-coded wires so this would be a non-issue.
Old 12-28-2022, 12:59 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Out of curiosity does your Champion parallel kit have connectors for neutral and hot that are both identical in type and color? I read on another forum that an owner either had an open ground or not depending on how they are plugged in to the two generators. Sounds odd that it could operate like this but I guess it’s possible. If you find a combination that works just mark the wires. The Honda kits have color-coded wires so this would be a non-issue.
Thank you! I'll investigate.
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Thank you! I'll investigate.
No problem. Please report back. I was just in Tractor Supply and their Champion generators have pictures of parallel kits and the leads were color-coded as well as the generator inputs. So maybe this generic plug color/type issue has been corrected on certain models and/or vintages.
Old 12-28-2022, 11:39 PM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Too bad there isn’t a generator that piggybacks with the batteries to provide additional power instead of “replacing” the power, so you could run everything.

Old 12-28-2022, 11:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Too bad there isn’t a generator that piggybacks with the batteries to provide additional power instead of “replacing” the power, so you could run everything.

Not a generator but the Victron MultiPlus inverter charger PowerAssist feature does exactly that
“The MultiPlus will prevent overload of a limited AC source, such as a generator or shore power connection. First, battery charging will automatically be reduced when otherwise an overload would occur. The second level will boost the output of a generator or shore side supply with power taken from the battery.”
Old 12-29-2022, 08:50 AM   #31

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:

I’ve found that if my AC inverter is on, the microwave and all the outlets run from it - not the street AC, even if plugged into it. So in theory, I could use more current than the street AC could supply if I arranged the loads….
splitting_lanes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:12 AM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Anyone use or have thoughts on propane fueled generators? Pros/cons.
Old 01-03-2023, 12:13 PM   #33

Trailer: WTB: E19
Quote:
PRO: you can run off your 2 propane tanks. Keeps the carburetor clean,

You can get a Hutch mountain kit (during a power outage it will save your bacon)
https://www.hutchmountain.com/collec...as-conversions
Old 05-21-2023, 04:39 PM   #34

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
Quote:
We have had good luck with our champion 2500 dual fuel. Even fits in the front compartment of our 5.0 TA.

No gas can. No gas smell. No aftermarket kit. Starts every time and runs the AC no problem.

Not a Honda.

You can arrange those as Pros/Cons as you wish.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 06:26 PM   #35

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith3 View Post
We have had good luck with our champion 2500 dual fuel. Even fits in the front compartment of our 5.0 TA.

No gas can. No gas smell. No aftermarket kit. Starts every time and runs the AC no problem.

Not a Honda.

Just an fyi, the Champion 2500 duel fuel generator is half price on Amazon atm
Old 05-22-2023, 06:40 PM   #36

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Being a Honda Car family we have had absolutely zero issues. But I wonder about their generators since a Honda vehicle is never twice the price of a competitor.

Does that mean that a non-Honda generator is half the value or is the Honda generator twice the quality?

It's like the comedian discussing how to do the math to buy the right number of hotdogs and hotdog buns.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 06:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Just an fyi, the Champion 2500 duel fuel generator is half price on Amazon atm
Looks like we paid about $590 for ours. Really good deal at $460.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith3 View Post

Not a Honda.

Because I was asked via IM:

You have to tilt the generator to get it into the front compartment of the 5.0. It sits upright once in the compartment. Never noticed any oil spillage or dripping from this momentary leaning.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:17 PM   #39

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
If you're serious about running your Champion dual-fuel inverter generator from your Escape's propane quick connect, Read On

In short: You can do it but you have to modify your propane regulator. Hutch Mountain <hutchmountain.com> has been selling kits like this for years that work on Honda inverter generators. Check with them and get them to put a Champion kit together for an easy modification. They're a small outfit and could use the business.

Long version: There is quite a bit of DIY information online about using propane from an RV quick connect to run a small generator. For example:

https://www.rvforum.net/threads/conn...onnect.134044/

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...or-136145.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/champ...em-344289.html

Champion and other dual-fuel generators or propane-only generators come with a regulator that is intended to connect to a regular high pressure barbecue-type LP bottle, with a hose and connection to the generator.

Take a look at the discussion on the Forest River forum, above. The OP said that he called Champion and they said the generators use propane reduced to .5 psi after their regulator which is basically the gas pressure in your camper's system. (The standard for the low pressure for your RV’s stove, furnace, refrigerator, and quick connect is about .4 psi (11 inches of water column)).

The third reference above has pictures showing how the OP converted the regulator that came with the propane generator to run off his RV’s low pressure quick connect.

The thing to remember is that the regulator that comes with the generator has two parts. You only remove the first, smaller part, the pressure regulator that normally reduces the high pressure from the tank to the low pressure for the generator. The second, bigger part, is a flow demand regulator that only feeds the generator the propane it needs. Without the demand regulator the generator would flood. So the OP bought an aftermarket quick connect fitting, attached it directly to the demand regulator and then ran the normal hose from his demand regulator to the generator.

One reference says: "that a 4000 watt generator will require less than 80k BTU at FULL load to operate, a standard RV auto changeover regulator such as the Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253 is capable of outputting 225K BTU on the primary cylinder and 150k on the secondary cylinder during auto change over, if you manually switch it, you regain the full 225k output. Even the low capacity model MEGR-253L is capable of 175K on primary and 100k on secondary. Basically you can run everything in the RV and still have enough btu capability left to run the generator too."

Just remember. The generator will work great but will use a lot of propane. You can drain a 20# tank in a few hours. If you run it off your RV's tanks, and stay for an appreciable amount of time, you're gonna be refilling the tanks frequently. Might it be easier to use a separate tank for your generator and not have to to the conversion?

Take a look at the Hutch Mountain web site and see how they do regulators for Honda generators. They sell one version that's just like what you get from Champion, a single unit that you screw onto a barbecue tank of propane and contains both the small pressure regulator and the large demand regulator. Hutch Mountain also sells a deluxe Tri-Fuel version the puts quick connects between the pressure and demand regulators, giving you the best of both worlds - run your generator from either a barbecue tank or your RV's low pressure quick connect.

Ed Simmers
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:12 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Thank you Ed for the information. Might cost me some more money. I’ll just print some extra next time I get the press out.
Iowa Dave