Recommendations for screen tent? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2023, 08:44 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Recommendations for screen tent?

We seem to be in a never ending biting fly and gnat season here in New Mexico, so we're going to buy a screen shelter before our next outing in a couple of weeks. Any recommendations? Right now the front runner is the Clam Quick-Set Escape because of its ease of setup. Anyone have one they really like?
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
We have a Gazelle because it packs smaller than the CLAMS I saw. We don’t use it much. It works fine.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
We seem to be in a never ending biting fly and gnat season here in New Mexico, so we're going to buy a screen shelter before our next outing in a couple of weeks. Any recommendations? Right now the front runner is the Clam Quick-Set Escape because of its ease of setup. Anyone have one they really like?
We very recently got the Clam Quick-Set “Venture.” Chose that one because it fits in the 5’7” bed of the F-150. Carry bag it stores in is 5’2” long. Had it out camping a couple weekends ago and it worked great. Very easy to set up and break down. Excellent quality.

One thing to note is that with the screening designed to keep the smallest flying pests out, the airflow isn’t what you might think. We have a cordless fan that moves the air around, so we had no problem with that.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
We have the gazelle and it fits under the bed in our 19’. We feed it through the back hatch and it lies across the rear out of the way but still convenient when needed. We have not used it much but a few summers ago in North Ontario it was a lifesaver. Ours is a smallish one, can fit 4 camp chairs, a small table and several dogs inside. Air flow is definitely compromised, but I will take stuffy over bleeding black fly bites.
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Our Kuma works well for us. I wouldn't say that it's easy up the first couple of times that it's used but after that it goes up real fast. The sides pop out and the roof goes up at the speed of light.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
25-07-2021 3-55-08 PM_0565_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 05:17 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
We also use the Clam. Carry in the pickup truck. Very fast to setup, well made. We also have the side panels that work well for rain. As mentioned little airflow, no bugs.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2117.jpeg  
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:12 AM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We have a Clam with roll up sides. It’s rather large, but heavy. We also have a Gazelle that is smaller, but much lighter/shorter.

Anyone in SE Minnesota, NE Iowa, or SW Wisconsin interested in our Clam?

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:41 AM   #8
Site Team

Thanks all. We appreciate the feedback. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube and everyone mentioned the no-see-um screening doesn't allow airflow so the tip on the rechargeable fan is helpful. Looks like it's the Clam QS Venture for the win. Appreciate you all.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
We also use the smaller 5 sided 9'x9' Clam. It fits 4 lawn chairs and a small table. No noseeums or blackflies can get through it. $240 at Amazon.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/..._AC_SY355_.jpg
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We looked at the Clam but it was too long when pack up. I like to keep the dining tent in the back seat on the floor. We lucked out and found a used Eureka Hex XL for cheap. It’s a bit of a pain to put up but I do like it. If I’m on my own, I tape the poles so they don’t rotate or fall out.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
I have a Master Canopy, purchased from Amazon. It seems to be pretty comparable to the Clam shelters I've seen. We've had it the years with no issues.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 11:57 AM   #12

Trailer: 2012 E19
If you need a fan, I have a 9" one that looks just like this, just was a different brand name but probably the same, and I really like it. Good output, very quiet, and sips little power. I plug it into my little handheld battery bank (the kind that people use to recharge their phones) and take it anywhere outside.
https://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-Enhan...36&sr=8-1&th=1
This thing whups my 10" O2Cool fan by about double, and with way less noise.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
We have a Gazelle 5 sided screen house and got the optional wind panels. It's a little shorter when packed, just 5'2" so it fit just right in our Dode Dakota without having to pack it on an angle. The creens stop the tiniest of bugs, but as others mentioned, it reduces the air flow.
For summer trips, we prefer our Coleman "Back Home" screen house. It has two entrances, and packs smaller than the Clams and Gazelles. It doesn't have optional wind panels though. Currently on sale at COSTCO.
Attached Thumbnails
Coleman.JPG  
Old 08-03-2023, 06:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
We have a Gazelle 5 sided screen house and got the optional wind panels. It's a little shorter when packed, just 5'2" so it fit just right in our Dode Dakota without having to pack it on an angle. The creens stop the tiniest of bugs, but as others mentioned, it reduces the air flow.
For summer trips, we prefer our Coleman "Back Home" screen house. It has two entrances, and packs smaller than the Clams and Gazelles. It doesn't have optional wind panels though. Currently on sale at COSTCO.
Does the Coleman go up in the same manner as the Gazelle? Since you prefer it for summer, does that mean the screen mesh is less fine?
Old 08-03-2023, 07:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Does the Coleman go up in the same manner as the Gazelle? Since you prefer it for summer, does that mean the screen mesh is less fine?
Yes, the Coleman breathes better than the Gazelle or Clams. It goes up differently, you can stake one leg down, and then lift and extend the other legs as you walk backwards. They recommend 2 people but I've always been able to raise and lower it myself. Once you have it extended over the area you want it, you raise each leg to full height, and then attach the two screens if desired.
A bit longer to erect than the Gazelles and Clams but still pretty easy. Ours has withstood high winds at Quartzsite, and overflowing rivers in GA. (Our neighbors Clam survived too)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180530_061921822.jpg  
Old 08-03-2023, 08:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
Floor an issue?

Do some parks and campgrounds prohibit tents with floors from being used on grass?
George and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by George and Linda View Post
Do some parks and campgrounds prohibit tents with floors from being used on grass?
Yes some do. Most of the ones prohibiting are private. Some also prohibit mats, although some of those allow open weave or have time limits.
Old 08-03-2023, 11:32 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Screen rooms

My daughter and son in law have a clam that’s not the biggest one by the next smaller one. It’s very nice and goes up and down quickly. They use it with their 1974 Boler. We’ve set it up on a real cool rainy day and used the campfire in a can on low. Pretty nice.
For the Escape 21 we have an Escape provided screen room, customized by my wife to be 99% bug free, Takes us about 10 minutes to set it up, is roomy and convenient to come in and out of the trailer. I like it best at the end of the day, a cool Belgian beer in hand, listening to a trout feeding frenzy in the nearby stream with the satisfying knowledge that my limit is on ice and more await for tomorrow. While the high pitched whine of hungry frustrated mosquitos is the tinnitus of the moment.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
B17AD32A-017F-451E-B714-09C31C9E859C.jpg  
Old 08-04-2023, 09:26 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
We also use the smaller 5 sided 9'x9' Clam. It fits 4 lawn chairs and a small table. No noseeums or blackflies can get through it. $240 at Amazon.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/..._AC_SY355_.jpg

Same here, small one fitting under the awning. I haven't used it yet. I bought a couple of the panels for rain/wind. Mostly for the dogs.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 12:24 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
For the Escape 21 we have an Escape provided screen room, customized by my wife to be 99% bug free, Takes us about 10 minutes to set it up, is roomy and convenient to come in and out of the trailer.
Iowa Dave
That's pretty sweet. I was thinking of doing something similar with our awning, using those hanging screens for patio doors you can get at Home Depot or Lowe's and some strong magnets to attach to the awning arms.

[We’ve set it up on a real cool rainy day and used the campfire in a can on low. Pretty nice]

If by "campfire in a can" you mean a Solo Stove, I'm a believer. I'm going to write a review on ours, which we purchased in May. We've used it a dozen times or so and will probably never go back to a traditional campfire.

[satisfying knowledge that my limit is on ice and more await for tomorrow. ]

Have any good trout recipes to share? That's probably a whole other thread.