Look out for S/H charges - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A -- "The Pullman"
Look out for S/H charges

Recently, I had posted about purchasing a part to repair our BAL C-Jack stabilizer on our 17.
"... I took the stabilizer off to straighten it, but the jack screw ("drive rod") was bent. Called Norco Industries (mfr. of BAL products), they told me to call Colaw RV, their parts distributor, in the S.E. US. A week later, I had the replacement drive rod. Took 10 minutes to install. It took talking to 5 people on the phone, but all were nice, helpful, and knowlegeable."

We were initially charged $11 on our credit card. About a week later, we were charged an additional $26.11. After contacting UPS with the info on the shipping label, We found that the 2+ lb. part via UPS ground was $20.92. So it looks like our most cost-effective course of action would have been to buy an entirely new 22" C-jack stabilizer on Amazon Prime (Pair of them, with free shipping, for $81).
So, next time, we don't think we'll deal with Norco Industries/BAL, and their designated distributor, Colaw RV in Carthage, MO.
Not complaining; just stating how the business is run, for your information.

dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Recently, I had posted about purchasing a part to repair our BAL C-Jack stabilizer on our 17.
"... I took the stabilizer off to straighten it, but the jack screw ("drive rod") was bent. Called Norco Industries (mfr. of BAL products), they told me to call Colaw RV, their parts distributor, in the S.E. US. A week later, I had the replacement drive rod. Took 10 minutes to install. It took talking to 5 people on the phone, but all were nice, helpful, and knowlegeable."

We were initially charged $11 on our credit card. About a week later, we were charged an additional $26.11. After contacting UPS with the info on the shipping label, We found that the 2+ lb. part via UPS ground was $20.92. So it looks like our most cost-effective course of action would have been to buy an entirely new 22" C-jack stabilizer on Amazon Prime (Pair of them, with free shipping, for $81).
So, next time, we don't think we'll deal with Norco Industries/BAL, and their designated distributor, Colaw RV in Carthage, MO.
Not complaining; just stating how the business is run, for your information.
Thanks for the head's up Don . Shipping is getting pricey . I sell my old VW parts and I have to price everything very low to make up for the shipping costs . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Shipping can certainly ruin what looks like
A sweet deal. However a lot depends on the willingness of the shipper to go the extra
mile sometimes. I worked for a landscape materials retailer. We handled a line of pruners and showed them in our online catalog. There were about 25 models. One day I got a call from an orchid grower in Hawaii. He asked if we had a certain model
of a small roundnosed unit which had been discontinued. I checked, we had 19 pairs of this pruner. "Would I sell them all? he asked. They were about 15 a pair. We established the cost and then he asked very tentatively, how much to ship to Hawaii. I shipped them to him for about $14 total as a middle sized priority US Mail box. Seller and buyer were delighted. If it fits it ships.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Shipping can certainly ruin what looks like
A sweet deal. However a lot depends on the willingness of the shipper to go the extra
mile sometimes. I worked for a landscape materials retailer. We handled a line of pruners and showed them in our online catalog. There were about 25 models. One day I got a call from an orchid grower in Hawaii. He asked if we had a certain model
of a small roundnosed unit which had been discontinued. I checked, we had 19 pairs of this pruner. "Would I sell them all? he asked. They were about 15 a pair. We established the cost and then he asked very tentatively, how much to ship to Hawaii. I shipped them to him for about $14 total as a middle sized priority US Mail box. Seller and buyer were delighted. If it fits it ships.
Dave
Yes those priority boxes and envelopes work sometimes . But sometimes not for some car parts , too big and doesn't work out of the United States . I have shipped all over the world .
I am at a time in my life , downsizing and getting rid of stuff . I had my bugs and fun , now it's money in the hand , which is getting harder to come by as you get older . And why have all this stuff sitting around . The kids won't want it and probably throw it away . Pat
Old 03-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Shipping and handling is getting to be a big money making racket. Just like those TV ads where they will give you the second one free, Just pay separate shipping and handling. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Yes those priority boxes and envelopes work sometimes . But sometimes not for some car parts , too big and doesn't work out of the United States . I have shipped all over the world .
I am at a time in my life , downsizing and getting rid of stuff . I had my bugs and fun , now it's money in the hand , which is getting harder to come by as you get older . And why have all this stuff sitting around . The kids won't want it and probably throw it away . Pat
Pat,
I didn't know you had VW's. I had a 56 small window, that had 450,000 mi. when I sold it to a restorer. We had them until we switched to Honda's. For a while, I still would rebuild engines and do some transmission and electrical work for people on the side. Finally, I just loaded everything "VW" up, and took it to Oxnard to a shop for almost nothing! Anybody having VW questions, we've got answers, but on this forum, only if they're towing Escapes.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Pat,
I didn't know you had VW's. I had a 56 small window, that had 450,000 mi. when I sold it to a restorer. We had them until we switched to Honda's. For a while, I still would rebuild engines and do some transmission and electrical work for people on the side. Finally, I just loaded everything "VW" up, and took it to Oxnard to a shop for almost nothing! Anybody having VW questions, we've got answers, but on this forum, only if they're towing Escapes.
Yup Don the car I wanted so bad for my first , then life happens so didn't get them until later in life . I have had 3 . I getting ready to sell my 1969 because parts are getting thinned out . It is too hard to get on ground and adjust valves , etc.DMV fees are getting out of hand also . So she has to go . At least I have the memories . Pat
Old 03-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
..... It is too hard to get on ground and adjust valves , etc...... Pat
Oh, yeah, I'd forgotten (selectively failed to remember!) about that.
The back does not like the ground anymore!
Old 03-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I'd forgotten (selectively failed to remember!) about that.
The back does not like the ground anymore!
Back, sides , knees , everything hurts . Pat
Old 03-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for 4th Maiden Voyage
I live in SE Alaska and shipping is a killer sometimes. Used to be companies (not very long ago) wouldn't ship their products to me cause they only ship within the United States and never to foreign addresses. Then I'd explain that Alaska is a state ..... sometimes the person on the other end of the phone would believe me and sometimes they wouldn't. I still get shippers who refuse to ship to Alaska ... no reason given.

My biggest frustration is with companies who will only ship by UPS or FedEx. I want my orders shipped by the United States Postal Service. The price is generally 30-50% cheaper by USPS and the Post Office has never lost my mail... ever.

Not long ago I wanted to mail a package to the lower 48 from Juneau. The Post Office wanted $30 and I thought that was high so I drove to the UPS office - closed ... only open from 7-8 pm .... drove to FedEx and they wanted $140.00. What!!! Well back to the Post Office for $30.00

My message: Beware of the privatization of Governmental services.

The latest of concern to me are the various private companies who broadcast weather forecasts ..... such as Weather Underground and others. They are currently lobbing Congress to be able to have exclusive rights to NOAA weather forecasts and then dish those same forecasts out to the rest of us as a subscription service. Sigh

Tom