Clarification on Electrical System for Newbie - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post

I'll stick with the 30 amp connector.
There have been odd times when I used mine. By all means carry one with you, there're only a few bucks. But, as you now know, you won't really be using 50 amps.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Every Escape I have had (there has been 3) has been set up for 12v operation, in that everything can operate off propane or 12v, other than the air-conditioning. Your heat, your fan, lights, you water system all use 12v. I purchase 12v televisions, your power antenna is 12v. Thus the need to have some extra 12v outlets, in my last Escape I added 5, in my current I have a total of 4 dc outlets. Thus solar and dual 6 volts are needed. By midmorning your batteries should be full.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I would put 12 volt devices in two categories:
Electronics
... Where ever you want to charge your mobile devices or run your computer, radio, or TV are potential locations for 12V DC outlets.

High-power appliances
..... For instance, instead of getting a 12V hair dryer, my suggestion be to just use a regular hair dryer on the low setting... and if you're not connected to shore power (or a generator) you won't be able to use it very much anyway before running out of battery charge, whether the appliance is AC or DC.
Most helpful Brian. I'm trying to be mindful of what I will realistically need to plug in. Laptop, cell phone, tablet and TV/Radio are really the big ones. Everything else is integrated into the trailer...well with the exception of that hair dryer which I'm happy to give up. After all...doesn't everyone's air dried hair look fabulous by the campfire light?
Old 12-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
There have been odd times when I used mine. By all means carry one with you, there're only a few bucks. But, as you now know, you won't really be using 50 amps.

Ron
Thanks Ron, good advice to be prepared. You must have been a boy scout!
Old 12-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Every Escape I have had (there has been 3) has been set up for 12v operation, in that everything can operate off propane or 12v, other than the air-conditioning. Your heat, your fan, lights, you water system all use 12v. I purchase 12v televisions, your power antenna is 12v. Thus the need to have some extra 12v outlets, in my last Escape I added 5, in my current I have a total of 4 dc outlets. Thus solar and dual 6 volts are needed. By midmorning your batteries should be full.
Thank you. I can see that having some extra 12v outlets would be an advantage.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #16

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21 pick up August, 2017
A couple of reasons for carrying a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter even though your trailer is only 30 amps include the obvious situation where the only receptacle is a 50 amp one. This is rare, but has happened to me twice, both times in a primary residential RV Park. No 30, no 15/20 receptacles.

Another - sometimes you will find the 30 amp receptacle badly arced, broken, etc while the 50 amp receptacle is in good condition. The adapter lets you use the 50 amp receptacle.

One more - depending on how the campground is wired, you may find that during extreme hot (or cold) weather when the campground wiring is working harder than normal, the 30 amp receptacle may end up with below acceptable voltage (<104V). The larger wire & often less used 50 amp side of the wiring may provide a higher acceptable voltage.

While probably a bit extreme, I know some individuals that carry two 50 to 30 amp adapters, each wired to a different leg of the 50 amp 120/240 receptacle, and choose the one with the better voltage. I guess if it means the difference between running your AC on a hot day or not, maybe not so extreme!
Old 12-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
A couple of reasons for carrying a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter even though your trailer is only 30 amps...
Jon, thank you for such a comprehensive comment! As I'm new to the game, it's impossible to know what I don't know and therefore anticipate uncomfortable situations. I feel so lucky to have found not only an exceptional product in Escape Trailers but also this generous community for support. I see that you are a blogger and I look forward to following your travels. What advice can you offer me on connectivity on the road? I haven't tackled that aspect yet and maybe it's better approached in a separate post. I don't need full connectivity all the time but want to be able to stay in touch via cell and internet and post to a blog during extended trips. Any advice or links to existing info would be welcomed.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Thus solar and dual 6 volts are needed.
That depends on your camping style. I have never had the need for solar - I either stay at RV parks or use my generator. Of course, I live in Texas where it only gets cool enough to turn off the AC a couple of months during the year. Solar won't run the AC and down here the AC is mandatory.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
A couple of reasons for carrying a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter even though your trailer is only 30 amps include the obvious situation where the only receptacle is a 50 amp one. This is rare, but has happened to me twice, both times in a primary residential RV Park. No 30, no 15/20 receptacles.
I think this is a good point, and even if there is a 15-amp or 20-amp receptacle available, using it limits what can be run in the trailer compared to the full 30-amp (or greater) capacity. This could be an issue, especially for those wanting to use electric heat, or air conditioning.

Quote:
One more - depending on how the campground is wired, you may find that during extreme hot (or cold) weather when the campground wiring is working harder than normal, the 30 amp receptacle may end up with below acceptable voltage (<104V). The larger wire & often less used 50 amp side of the wiring may provide a higher acceptable voltage.
Another good catch.

Quote:
While probably a bit extreme, I know some individuals that carry two 50 to 30 amp adapters, each wired to a different leg of the 50 amp 120/240 receptacle, and choose the one with the better voltage.
Although it is extreme (and certainly not necessary, and rarely done), I like this idea. Since I've never seen a 50-amp to 30-amp adapter which identifies which leg of the 50-amp service it taps, finding one of each would presumably be a matter of testing with an ohmmeter or continuity tester... or building your own.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
All good points about the 50 amp adapter plug. We carry one just for those reasons. At only one place so far, a park that caters to the bigger rigs like motor coaches, the only available site had a 50 amp only connection. In such a case, the adapter came in handy.