Clarification on Electrical System for Newbie - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't think many people seriously equip a trailer with a solar system and high-output inverter just to run a hair dryer. It's just a convenient example of a simple appliance which takes a lot of power, and doesn't have a propane alternative.
Well, I added additional solar & an inverter just to make a pot of drip coffee each morning. A hair dryer MIGHT be just as important to some (with the amount I have, not me!)
Old 12-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
USB port efficency

I wonder how efficient those USB ports that are dropping the 12 volt DC to 5 volt DC. Do they just use a resistor for the other 7 volts, or are they more sophisticated?
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #63

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I don't think many people seriously equip a trailer with a solar system and high-output inverter just to run a hair dryer. It's just a convenient example of a simple appliance which takes a lot of power, and doesn't have a propane alternative.
Gee... did I hit a sore point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
... I would indeed think there are people who get an inverter to use a hairdryer and there are those who get it to use a microwave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Well, I added additional solar & an inverter just to make a pot of drip coffee each morning. A hair dryer MIGHT be just as important to some (with the amount I have, not me!)
Sure... that's why I said "not many people", rather than "no one".

And a microwave is a much more likely appliance to justify an inverter than either a hair dryer, or even a coffee maker (for which there are non-electric alternatives).

I just wouldn't use the number of times a hair dryer is mentioned in forum discussions as an indication of the popularity of solar power systems to run hair dryers!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #64

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I wonder how efficient those USB ports that are dropping the 12 volt DC to 5 volt DC. Do they just use a resistor for the other 7 volts, or are they more sophisticated?
I doubt any commercially produced adapters use just a resistor network.

A Google image search for "12 volt to USB power supply circuit" shows various electronic solutions, many of which are probably about as efficient as an inverter, or better. A common design uses a simple switching power supply, specifically a buck converter.

Even if some just throw away the extra voltage (so they're inefficient), they probably use a good old 7805 integrated circuit voltage regulator, to supply a much more stable 5 volts than just using a resistor.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:08 PM   #65

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Gee... did I hit a sore point?

And a microwave is a much more likely appliance to justify an inverter than either a hair dryer, or even a coffee maker (for which there are non-electric alternatives).

I just wouldn't use the number of times a hair dryer is mentioned in forum discussions as an indication of the popularity of solar power systems to run hair dryers!
What you hit, again, was a point that men, who are probably making 95% of the posts here, tend to think because women use hair dryers far more. So that is seen as a prevalent view here that few need hair dryers. And men have a habit of telling women that they don't need them.

No one needs to justify an inverter any more than any other option but of course we see people acting as if one should, just as they do about air conditioners or many other options. People don't camp the same and one person's needs are not another's. Some of us may very well use hairdryers with our inverters, thank you very much. . Just pointing out that women do indeed use them and we are more than half of the population before you even get to children needing them (which may actually include boys, too!)
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
And men have a habit of telling women that they don't need them.
Well, the truth is, that women don't 'need' them. They would get along fine without them. BUT, some may find it a nice luxury/extra/perk to have, no different than the many of options and modifications that many of us (of which I am one of the biggest culprits) do. If it is something that makes them happy to have, enough to justify the cost, they should most definitely go for the option.

As many of you know, my wife has a lot of hair, and washes it a couple times a week on average, but has no issue going without a hairdryer. She has on a few occasions turned the heat up and used the furnace. This is the case of every couple we camp with, but one who has spent a lifetime doing up makeup and hair every morning, but is slowly letting this ritual slip while camping.

The only thing we need an inverter for at this point is our TV and one laptop, so we are going to forgo the large inverter. We are likely doing more than average options and mods, but this is one we will not do, at least for the time being.

Folks should get whatever option they want if they think it fits their style. I am certainly glad we are all different, or I would be driven crazy if everyone was like me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
People have forgone air conditioners, furnaces, smart phones and a plethora of other conveniences forever. Whether they did "just fine" is a matter for who want the convenience. I no longer need or desire a hairdryer because I've decided to keep my hair short. But I sure do like the microwave and electric blanket! Isn't it nice we have options?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #68

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
inverter use

When we had our 21 built we asked ETI to supply a 12 gauge wire from Microwave cabinet to the battery area . I will buy a 2000 watt inverter and use that to power microwave and i will install another plug by the kitchen for my wife's hair dryer . Then the only reason for 110 AC will be the Air conditioner the rest will be on propane or solar elec .Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
....I've decided to keep my hair short.
Next step like mine, eh?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #70

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
?.....because I've decided to keep my hair short. Isn't it nice we have options?
That's right Donna, the operative words are "Keep" and "Options".

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #71

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
..... or I would be driven crazy if everyone was like me.
Imagine what it would do to the rest of us!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Imagine what it would do to the rest of us! [emoji23]
Lucky yous, getting to be like me.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:12 AM   #73

If some people who constantly use power tools in a home shop were told they they did not need them and should get rid of them, the way they do not think others need hairdryers, they might understand. Many people may use hairdryers practically daily, maybe far more than many use their shop tools.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #74

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hairdryer

I could use a good hair dyer right now. The -15F real temp and blowing snow have frozen my back door. Still got three more that are functional though. -38 wind chill, I'm not venturing out very far today.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I could use a good hair dyer right now. The -15F real temp and blowing snow have frozen my back door. Still got three more that are functional though. -38 wind chill, I'm not venturing out very far today.
Dave
Sounds pretty darn chilly, all right. And here we are finally thawing out after a 3 week cold snap, the longest I can remember for many years. The only drawback is the strong Chinook winds. Maybe I could just stand outside to dry my hair.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #76

Speaking of the weather and all of the snow we now have, there were some people who put in hairdryer set-ups for their wives and ended up using them to unthaw their tank valves! Maybe we should not overlook that use. We expected to be out with the trailer now but we are winterized.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #77

Trailer: 2015 escape 17b -sia-
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
Thanks SOOO much for laying out these questions so well. I have essentially the same questions, working on my 17B build sheet, and never having had a travel trailer before. Looking forward to the inevitably insightful responses!!
we had limited experience with travel trailers when we bought
our 2015 17b...we got the basic recommended package and
opted for some of the options we thought we could need or use
regarding power we got the removeable 30 amp power cord and
later bought a 50 amp adapter. we also bought another power
cord with a 120v plug end on it. we found rv parks that have
upgraded us to big rig pull through sites with 50 amp only and
a few rv parks that have 120 v outlets only...we have put approx. 6000 miles on our trailer and have enjoyed microwave,
cabel tv/dvds,hair dryers.coffee brewers,ect with no large
problems...(make sure when at escape to pick-up that you
insist on hooking up removeable cord yourself while an escape
person watches as we had a cord that would not attach and turn
as designed with-out adjustment also wanted to cross thread.)
have camping at your desired comfort level
fgunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #78

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Thank you.
Had a delightful visit @ Escape Industries 12/9 - came away feeling comfortable with mostly basic, too. Am going to go with solar and option for plugging in additional solar, and adding one or two 12v outlets.
Nice to be better prepared for times a person can plug in as well!
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #79

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
Thank you.
Had a delightful visit @ Escape Industries 12/9 - came away feeling comfortable with mostly basic, too. Am going to go with solar and option for plugging in additional solar, and adding one or two 12v outlets.
Nice to be better prepared for times a person can plug in as well!
You have an interesting screen name. Being a botany and dendrology student I've always loved the sumacs. I have a couple flameleafs healed in, in the corner of our garden that I'll plant in the spring. Love the fall color they provide. Have a Merry Christmas.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:08 PM   #80

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Iowa Dave, We have a cow pasture/hay field full of winged sumac (Rhus copallinum L.) that we can't get rid of. You're welcome to come get all you want if that will help us knock it out!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote