To Empty or Not To Empty? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2023, 07:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape Trailer 21NE 2022
To Empty or Not To Empty?

Black tank question : Is it better to empty the black tank if used just a bit on a two-night camp and it still reads empty, OR, empty it after the next lengthier trip when it reaches at least 2/3? Any harm in letting pee and poo sit a while in the tank?
chesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 07:11 PM   #2

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
I always empty the black & grey before returning to base, then add a few gallons of fresh water to each. I would try to avoid leaving waste in the tanks.
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 07:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Empty

Empty is better. It doesn’t improve with age or time.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 E19
Were the facilities "used"?

Would you leave a toilet unflushed in the house for a week............same concept.

It's a holding tank, not a septic tank.

Empty it.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:40 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Com_on folks, what’s a little P among friends? Are the O rings going to melt over three weeks? You can boondock for two weeks and put up with a filling tank, what harm in two days of black tank? This is a sealed and vented system, designed for the express purpose of holding black water, what is wrong with letting it sit? This is not your home toilet.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 09:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I think that the key word in the post was "next". Depends on when next is. A little bit of stuff, especially if it's not all liquid might tend to become an immovable lump in time.

I'd say there's a bit of a time limit on "next". Maybe a month but I wouldn't leave it longer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 09:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Unless you have a composter. Those do get better with age!

I know that wasn't question but couldn't resist. Love our compost toilet. Would never, ever go back to a black tank.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 10:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Unless you have a composter. Those do get better with age!

I know that wasn't question but couldn't resist. Love our compost toilet. Would never, ever go back to a black tank.

And what do you do with the urine and compost?

7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 05:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I always empty. if its been just a few days I add water to the tank before emptying.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 06:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I think that the key word in the post was "next". Depends on when next is. A little bit of stuff, especially if it's not all liquid might tend to become an immovable lump in time.

I'd say there's a bit of a time limit on "next". Maybe a month but I wouldn't leave it longer.

Ron
A few years ago I stopped into an RV dealer to ask a service technician a question.
He was working in the bathroom of a trailer they had just repossessed, using a sharp stick to try and break up the hardened mass down in the black tank.
Not his favourite job for sure but according to him not as rare as you'd think.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 08:13 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
And what do you do with the urine and compost?

Of course you have to dispose of that stuff. As far as I know there is no pee and poo fairy out there But the options are more plentiful than finding a dump station. Urine can go down any toilet, double bagged compost can go in a dumpster, gray water can be emptied into a bucket and disposed of down any drain.

I probably shouldn't have said anything. I posted about composting toilets on the Rpod forum once and the debate raged on for weeks. You'd have thought we were talking religion, politics or greasing the hitch ball.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:12 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Tanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Com_on folks, what’s a little P among friends? Are the O rings going to melt over three weeks? You can boondock for two weeks and put up with a filling tank, what harm in two days of black tank? This is a sealed and vented system, designed for the express purpose of holding black water, what is wrong with letting it sit? This is not your home toilet.
Hi: fudge_brownie... Aah "Fudge"!!! I find our 5.0 TA travels better with the waste tanks empty and the fresh tank 1/2 full. YMMV Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 09:12 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
But the options are more plentiful than finding a dump station. Urine can go down any toilet, double bagged compost can go in a dumpster, gray water can be emptied into a bucket and disposed of down any drain.
Okay, you got my dander up and I'll play. There is NO SUCH thing as a composting toilet for an RV. NONE. I don't care what fancy name it's called. It takes from 4 months to a full year for human feces to COMPOST from last use. Until then, you have nothing more than a human litter box. Double bagging poop is just adding more plastic to the landfills. So while your poop may compost inside the double plastic bags, it's NOT doing Mother Nature much of a favor. Many of us are trying to use LESS plastic. Pant, pant, pant... whew. Old fashioned outhouses over a hole in the ground make better composters....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 09:42 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I think it does improve with age. It breaks down the solids much more if you wait and you'll get a more complete empty especially if it is summer and if you have anything in the tank that helps break down the paper.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:02 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Okay, you got my dander up and I'll play. There is NO SUCH thing as a composting toilet for an RV. NONE. I don't care what fancy name it's called. It takes from 4 months to a full year for human feces to COMPOST from last use. Until then, you have nothing more than a human litter box. Double bagging poop is just adding more plastic to the landfills. So while your poop may compost inside the double plastic bags, it's NOT doing Mother Nature much of a favor. Many of us are trying to use LESS plastic. Pant, pant, pant... whew. Old fashioned outhouses over a hole in the ground make better composters....
Yup. This is what happened on the Rpod Forum
Old 06-26-2023, 11:09 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesaka View Post
Black tank question : Is it better to empty the black tank if used just a bit on a two-night camp and it still reads empty, OR, empty it after the next lengthier trip when it reaches at least 2/3? Any harm in letting pee and poo sit a while in the tank?

Interesting ? I wonder about tossing some of the good bacteria in, before sitting?
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 11:20 AM   #17

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
This thread got a lot better when Donna jumped it. Lol! There’s truth and humor there.

We wind up using the toilet once in a while and just dump at the next camp, days or weeks away. Put a little dish water or black tank orange smell stuff in…. Let’s face it, your black tank will always have a little ‘booty juice’ in it.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 11:27 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
This thread got a lot better when Donna jumped it. Lol! There’s truth and humor there.

We wind up using the toilet once in a while and just dump at the next camp, days or weeks away. Put a little dish water or black tank orange smell stuff in…. Let’s face it, your black tank will always have a little ‘booty juice’ in it.

That what I hope, as I might be doing things like 2 or 3 weekend Dog Trials in a row, & they would even have toilets on site.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 11:39 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
Humor? Absolutely. Truth? Well.....
Old 06-26-2023, 11:41 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi: Donna D... One of life's little difficulties is that few company's print a catalogue these days!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote