21 owner looking for feedback on 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21
21 owner looking for feedback on 5.0 TA

We are owners of a 2017 21 which we like a lot, but are considering the 5.0TA. Any feedback from 21 owners who moved to one?. How much more room is there, and are there towing advantages, backup ease etc?
Thanks in advance to anyone whom has had this experience.

oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Having owned 2 Escape 19's and now 2 Escape 21's here are my reasons why I did not purchase the 5.0 model. Basically the 5.0 is similar to the 21 from the door rearward but forward you have the same bath you have in a 19 and then up to the queen sized bed where there is a lot of room. The steps up and down give me hesitation as I get older. In addition we like the bigger bath in 21 than the 5.0. Also the 5.0 is a lot taller inside which can be plus or minus depending on your stature. Weight wise the 5.0 is a bit heavier and therein are some issues. You need a special hitch in the bed and you lose the use of your truck bed if you have a cap or tonneau cover while towing. The added weight also limits your tow vehicles as well as impacts mileage. The other item, to me was the unknown hitch set up and it it works with my vehicle. It was these unknowns that persuaded me to stay with a pull behind 21 Escape, because I know it works and I'm happy.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
We are owners of a 2017 21 which we like a lot, but are considering the 5.0TA. Any feedback from 21 owners who moved to one?. How much more room is there, and are there towing advantages, backup ease etc?
Hi: oldwave... I have never thought about any other than a 5.0TA. We're on our second having had a 5.0 before. The loss of box space still leaves some for plastic tables etc. We have a dedicated tow for our 5th. and it just toys with the trailer @ 2000rpm sipping diesel fuel. Towing is a non starter as there is no sway issues to worry about. When I say it feels like it's not even there I really mean it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040874.jpg (362.3 KB, 37 views)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0 Escape
5.0 escape

We have a 5.0 and love it and have plenty of storage. Previously had a 17' Casita. The 5.0 seems easier to pull than the Casita less sway and since we have the ultimate Anderson hitch hooking up and unhooking are much easier. We did lose some space in the truck bed while towing but when home and unhooked the Anderson hitch is easily removed leaving only the rails attached to floor of bed. I thought of getting the 21' model but glad I listened to wife and went with the 5.0
okiesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Everyone has their own preferences. I think the choice comes down to your preferences for the bed and bath options between the two and if you want/need the truck bed. We ultimately wanted the separation of the bed and an extra cabinet by the door for jackets. That was more important to us than the smaller bathroom that came with that choice. The 5th wheel added some unknowns for us but it was well worth it to get the layout we preferred, and we have no regrets.

The 5.0 TA tows like a dream behind the F-150, but I don't ever hear anyone complaining about how the 21 tows so I don't think its very relevant.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19'
One thing to think about is water and waste tank size. On the escape site it lists the 5.0TA as 30 gal for black, the 21' black as 22 gal, fresh and grey for both trailers was the same at 28 gallons. We went from a tent to the 19 and didn't really know how tank sizes would affect the way we camped. We've found after almost 2 years that we do boon-dock a lot and our most limiting factor is the black tank. You can always carry extra fresh water in 5 gallon jugs. We've been considering a composting toilet for that reason and just watched a hilarious video on you tube by fit rv on that subject.
. NO thank you!
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
How much more room is there, and are there towing advantages, backup ease etc?
I previously owned a Casita 17' and the 5.0TA is my 2nd 5th Wheel. I have the Fold A Cover with companion box and between it and the pickup bed I actually can carry a lot. I have the Anderson Hitch and besides everything I can carry in the companion box I'm able to slide my folding multi level table in front of the hitch and under the companion box along with my folding chair.

I also carry collapsible ladder and still have open space between the hitch and tail gate that could hold a generator with room left over. I also have a swing box on the passenger side of the truck. Certainly the bumper pull makes it easier to carry kayaks, will allow you to take taller items or you can have a topper. When 5th wheel disconnected, the Fold A Cover covers and locks everything in the bed.

As far as towing a weight distribution hitch and sway control device is not needed and towing is typically the number one reason why people like 5th Wheels. Also, the Escape 5th wheel combined with tow vehicle has a shorter foot print than the 21' bumper pull behind the same tow vehicle.

Going from bumper pull to 5th wheel takes a little to get use too when backing as the pivot point goes from the bumper to over the rear axle.

As previously stated each type has benefit and draw back. Just depends on your type of camping and toys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capanion box.jpg (21.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Swing Box.jpg (43.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Fold A Cover.jpg (18.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 5_Hitch_Test_Fit_DSC_1805.jpg (74.1 KB, 43 views)

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #8

Trailer: Ordered 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I previously owned a Casita 17' and the 5.0TA is my 2nd 5th Wheel. I have the Fold A Cover with companion box and between it and the pickup bed I actually can carry a lot. I have the Anderson Hitch and besides everything I can carry in the companion box I'm able to slide my folding multi level table in front of the hitch and under the companion box along with my folding chair.

I also carry collapsible ladder and still have open space between the hitch and tail gate that could hold a generator with room left over. I also have a swing box on the passenger side of the truck. Certainly the bumper pull makes it easier to carry kayaks, will allow you to take taller items or you can have a topper. When 5th wheel disconnected, the Fold A Cover covers and locks everything in the bed.

As far as towing a weight distribution hitch and sway control device is not needed and towing is typically the number one reason why people like 5th Wheels. Also, the Escape 5th wheel combined with tow vehicle has a shorter foot print than the 21' bumper pull behind the same tow vehicle.

Going from bumper pull to 5th wheel takes a little to get use too when backing as the pivot point goes from the bumper to over the rear axle.

As previously stated each type has benefit and draw back. Just depends on your type of camping and toys.
Curious, I see you tow with a Canyon? 5.5 ft box? Can you pivot your 5ta to full 90 degrees when backing up? Your hitch looks like its mounted really close to the cab?
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Can you pivot your 5ta to full 90 degrees when backing up? Your hitch looks like its mounted really close to the cab?
I think Reace's guide is that at least 30 inches is required from the back of the cab to the hitch pin. That would only allow a 60" (five foot) wide trailer to turn 90 degrees, and while a 5.0TA is somewhat tapered at the front, it's still much wider than that. The usual assumption is that - as with a conventional trailer - you will turn sharply but never as much as 90 degrees. The pin of the 5.0TA is forward of the front of the body, improving the angle which can be reached.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:05 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Curious, I see you tow with a Canyon? 5.5 ft box? Can you pivot your 5ta to full 90 degrees when backing up? Your hitch looks like its mounted really close to the cab?
Actually I have the 6.2" long box as GM calls it, but still a short box. Yes I can turn 90 degrees if needed, but have not needed to. I have only done so to see how tight I can turn.

For the hitch install I mounted the rails 1 inch further forward then the instructions called for on a short box installation, this put the ball mount over the rear axle actually just slightly forward. Even though GM calls the 6.2" box a long box it is still a short box.

For short bed installations Anderson recommends to mount the hitch so the ball is biased towards the tailgate, but mounting the pin box connector so ball inserts to the rear of the King Pin.

If interested this is the link to my Anderson install.

Ultimate Anderson Hitch Install

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote