21 owner looking for feedback on 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
21 owner looking for feedback on 5.0 TA

We are owners of a 2017 21 which we like a lot, but are considering the 5.0TA. Any feedback from 21 owners who moved to one?. How much more room is there, and are there towing advantages, backup ease etc?
Thanks in advance to anyone whom has had this experience.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having owned 2 Escape 19's and now 2 Escape 21's here are my reasons why I did not purchase the 5.0 model. Basically the 5.0 is similar to the 21 from the door rearward but forward you have the same bath you have in a 19 and then up to the queen sized bed where there is a lot of room. The steps up and down give me hesitation as I get older. In addition we like the bigger bath in 21 than the 5.0. Also the 5.0 is a lot taller inside which can be plus or minus depending on your stature. Weight wise the 5.0 is a bit heavier and therein are some issues. You need a special hitch in the bed and you lose the use of your truck bed if you have a cap or tonneau cover while towing. The added weight also limits your tow vehicles as well as impacts mileage. The other item, to me was the unknown hitch set up and it it works with my vehicle. It was these unknowns that persuaded me to stay with a pull behind 21 Escape, because I know it works and I'm happy.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
We are owners of a 2017 21 which we like a lot, but are considering the 5.0TA. Any feedback from 21 owners who moved to one?. How much more room is there, and are there towing advantages, backup ease etc?
Hi: oldwave... I have never thought about any other than a 5.0TA. We're on our second having had a 5.0 before. The loss of box space still leaves some for plastic tables etc. We have a dedicated tow for our 5th. and it just toys with the trailer @ 2000rpm sipping diesel fuel. Towing is a non starter as there is no sway issues to worry about. When I say it feels like it's not even there I really mean it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040874.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0 Escape
5.0 escape

We have a 5.0 and love it and have plenty of storage. Previously had a 17' Casita. The 5.0 seems easier to pull than the Casita less sway and since we have the ultimate Anderson hitch hooking up and unhooking are much easier. We did lose some space in the truck bed while towing but when home and unhooked the Anderson hitch is easily removed leaving only the rails attached to floor of bed. I thought of getting the 21' model but glad I listened to wife and went with the 5.0
okiesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Everyone has their own preferences. I think the choice comes down to your preferences for the bed and bath options between the two and if you want/need the truck bed. We ultimately wanted the separation of the bed and an extra cabinet by the door for jackets. That was more important to us than the smaller bathroom that came with that choice. The 5th wheel added some unknowns for us but it was well worth it to get the layout we preferred, and we have no regrets.

The 5.0 TA tows like a dream behind the F-150, but I don't ever hear anyone complaining about how the 21 tows so I don't think its very relevant.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19'
One thing to think about is water and waste tank size. On the escape site it lists the 5.0TA as 30 gal for black, the 21' black as 22 gal, fresh and grey for both trailers was the same at 28 gallons. We went from a tent to the 19 and didn't really know how tank sizes would affect the way we camped. We've found after almost 2 years that we do boon-dock a lot and our most limiting factor is the black tank. You can always carry extra fresh water in 5 gallon jugs. We've been considering a composting toilet for that reason and just watched a hilarious video on you tube by fit rv on that subject.
. NO thank you!
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
How much more room is there, and are there towing advantages, backup ease etc?
I previously owned a Casita 17' and the 5.0TA is my 2nd 5th Wheel. I have the Fold A Cover with companion box and between it and the pickup bed I actually can carry a lot. I have the Anderson Hitch and besides everything I can carry in the companion box I'm able to slide my folding multi level table in front of the hitch and under the companion box along with my folding chair.

I also carry collapsible ladder and still have open space between the hitch and tail gate that could hold a generator with room left over. I also have a swing box on the passenger side of the truck. Certainly the bumper pull makes it easier to carry kayaks, will allow you to take taller items or you can have a topper. When 5th wheel disconnected, the Fold A Cover covers and locks everything in the bed.

As far as towing a weight distribution hitch and sway control device is not needed and towing is typically the number one reason why people like 5th Wheels. Also, the Escape 5th wheel combined with tow vehicle has a shorter foot print than the 21' bumper pull behind the same tow vehicle.

Going from bumper pull to 5th wheel takes a little to get use too when backing as the pivot point goes from the bumper to over the rear axle.

As previously stated each type has benefit and draw back. Just depends on your type of camping and toys.
Attached Thumbnails
capanion box.jpg   Swing Box.jpg   Fold A Cover.jpg   5_Hitch_Test_Fit_DSC_1805.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I previously owned a Casita 17' and the 5.0TA is my 2nd 5th Wheel. I have the Fold A Cover with companion box and between it and the pickup bed I actually can carry a lot. I have the Anderson Hitch and besides everything I can carry in the companion box I'm able to slide my folding multi level table in front of the hitch and under the companion box along with my folding chair.

I also carry collapsible ladder and still have open space between the hitch and tail gate that could hold a generator with room left over. I also have a swing box on the passenger side of the truck. Certainly the bumper pull makes it easier to carry kayaks, will allow you to take taller items or you can have a topper. When 5th wheel disconnected, the Fold A Cover covers and locks everything in the bed.

As far as towing a weight distribution hitch and sway control device is not needed and towing is typically the number one reason why people like 5th Wheels. Also, the Escape 5th wheel combined with tow vehicle has a shorter foot print than the 21' bumper pull behind the same tow vehicle.

Going from bumper pull to 5th wheel takes a little to get use too when backing as the pivot point goes from the bumper to over the rear axle.

As previously stated each type has benefit and draw back. Just depends on your type of camping and toys.
Curious, I see you tow with a Canyon? 5.5 ft box? Can you pivot your 5ta to full 90 degrees when backing up? Your hitch looks like its mounted really close to the cab?
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Can you pivot your 5ta to full 90 degrees when backing up? Your hitch looks like its mounted really close to the cab?
I think Reace's guide is that at least 30 inches is required from the back of the cab to the hitch pin. That would only allow a 60" (five foot) wide trailer to turn 90 degrees, and while a 5.0TA is somewhat tapered at the front, it's still much wider than that. The usual assumption is that - as with a conventional trailer - you will turn sharply but never as much as 90 degrees. The pin of the 5.0TA is forward of the front of the body, improving the angle which can be reached.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:05 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Curious, I see you tow with a Canyon? 5.5 ft box? Can you pivot your 5ta to full 90 degrees when backing up? Your hitch looks like its mounted really close to the cab?
Actually I have the 6.2" long box as GM calls it, but still a short box. Yes I can turn 90 degrees if needed, but have not needed to. I have only done so to see how tight I can turn.

For the hitch install I mounted the rails 1 inch further forward then the instructions called for on a short box installation, this put the ball mount over the rear axle actually just slightly forward. Even though GM calls the 6.2" box a long box it is still a short box.

For short bed installations Anderson recommends to mount the hitch so the ball is biased towards the tailgate, but mounting the pin box connector so ball inserts to the rear of the King Pin.

If interested this is the link to my Anderson install.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...all-12117.html
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
We started out looking at the 21 but soon switched to the 5 TA. Liked the separate bedroom area and the ease with which a 5 th wheel tows. Don’t even know it’s there. Also pay less in ferry fares as part of the trailer hangs over the truck bed.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I also think you should think about what you want to tow with and what you need to tow with when you go camping. I'm one of those people guilty of thinking lets call it worse case scenarios, what that means to me in a tow vehicle is this. We have 2 dogs and they take up the back seat of our Pathfinder and would take up the back seat of a dual cab truck for a 5.0TA and best case scenario we are taking our grand-kids (2) well with dual cab truck we have problem the Pathfinder has a 3rd row seat so still enough room.
Plus the dual wheel axle really seems to me anyway to make a huge difference in towing the 21' to other trailers and things I have towed that were single axle. So far I'm towing with no WDH but think I will be adding that in 2019 just more for safety then improving the towing. So far in the short time we've had ours I've towed it about 2,000 miles and really like how it tows.
Either way you can't go wrong with any Escape.

Happy and safe holidays to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #13

Thanks for all the feedback we have a tow (2004 F150) that will be sufficient for the 5.0, the major reason we were interested is in how much extra room there is with the bed relocated up the stairs, we use the bathroom sparingly as we prefer to use the campgrounds facilities when we can. The one thing that we lose besides bed storage in the truck is the front storage box, which I use extensively . But everyones comments are helpful. I got a quick look at the 5.0 when we picked up our 21 last summer it was very nice, and the hesitation on ordering one initially was the unknowns of our older (2000) Tundra, which was replaced with a very very low mileage 2004 F150 supecab after the order was placed (as we were considering a SUV). The 21 tows great, but we'd like a wee bit more room but hesitant to go really big and heavy, hence the feedback inquiry. As usual a great community, of knowledge and compadre. CPA Harley gets major kudos for his work as well as Donna. We hope to run into to both of you sometime, if we ever get the stars to line up for a rally.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #14

I don't think it was mentioned in this thread but with the 5.0 you also loose the storage room that's under the bed in the 21.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
The one thing that we lose besides bed storage in the truck is the front storage box, which I use extensively .
If your truck is a medium or long bed, there is room in the front of the bed to put a toolbox that is even with or just below the top of the bed rails so it does not interfere with the trailer on turns and provides locking storage. Don't have a photo handy but will try to get one, in our 6'4" bed a standard metal toolbox fits nicely between the front hitch rail and the front wall of the bed.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 19'
we'd like a wee bit more room but hesitant to go really big and heavy,

I'm not sure there is more room looking at all the dimensions, just the same space configured differently. In fact I think the 21 feels a bit bigger just because you can see the length of the trailer more readily. Unless you are just talking bed size, that is definitely larger with the 5.0. But we have a 19' and have just visited the other two so I might be wrong about that.
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:10 PM   #17

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I don't think it was mentioned in this thread but with the 5.0 you also loose the storage room that's under the bed in the 21.
The 5.0's storage underneath the steps more than makes up for the storage underneath the bed in the 21, so that's a wash.

There is also a large storage compartment above the LP tanks and another for the landing gear controls that is probably close to the storage in the front box on the pull trailers, so that's pretty much a wash too. In addition, you can also add a simple board above the LP tanks for a couple extra cubic feet of storage.

Plus, the 5.0 also has storage compartments above on EACH side of the bed and extra space next to both sides of the bed to add additional storage over the 21.

In the end you need to purchase the one that ticks all your boxes. For us, it was the 5.0, for others a 21 (or 19, or 17).

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-14-2018, 11:14 PM   #18

Thanks for the reply the was the kind of information I was looking for.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback we have a tow (2004 F150) that will be sufficient for the 5.0, the major reason we were interested is in how much extra room there is with the bed relocated up the stairs, we use the bathroom sparingly as we prefer to use the campgrounds facilities when we can. The one thing that we lose besides bed storage in the truck is the front storage box, which I use extensively . But everyones comments are helpful. I got a quick look at the 5.0 when we picked up our 21 last summer it was very nice, and the hesitation on ordering one initially was the unknowns of our older (2000) Tundra, which was replaced with a very very low mileage 2004 F150 supecab after the order was placed (as we were considering a SUV). The 21 tows great, but we'd like a wee bit more room but hesitant to go really big and heavy, hence the feedback inquiry. As usual a great community, of knowledge and compadre. CPA Harley gets major kudos for his work as well as Donna. We hope to run into to both of you sometime, if we ever get the stars to line up for a rally.
Actually you have less counter space in the galley with the 5.0 TA. I was having the same debate at last year's rally and took the opportunity to measure the respective trailers. The 5.0 has the door further toward the rear of the trailer than the 21 to accommodate the stairs to the loft. So that results in an 8" shorter counter top where the sink and stove are located. So actually you end up with more useable space inside the 21 on both sides of the galley. (since the bath is forward)

All that being said, we have a deposit down on a 5.0 for delivery April 23. For us we really liked the layout of the bed separate from the living space and still having a queen sized bed. (room for the dog!)

Plus we live across Puget sound from Seattle. With the overlap of the 5.0 over the bed of the truck, our over all length from tow front bumper to trailer rear bumper is still under 40'. This will save us ~$20 each direction on the ferries. So we will have a bigger truck, bigger trailer but the same ferry fare as our Tacoma / E19' combo. :-)
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Actually you have less counter space in the galley with the 5.0 TA. I was having the same debate at last year's rally and took the opportunity to measure the respective trailers. The 5.0 has the door further toward the rear of the trailer than the 21 to accommodate the stairs to the loft. So that results in an 8" shorter counter top where the sink and stove are located. So actually you end up with more useable space inside the 21 on both sides of the galley. (since the bath is forward)
The 5.0TA does have less counter space between sink and stove but has the extra counter at the door which is so handy for putting things inside just reaching through the door without going inside. We find the regular counter quite spacious after having a 5.0 single axle with virtually no space between sink and stove.

We never really considered any other size than the 5.0. We fell in love with Alf's, which became our first Escape, then this year moved on to the 5.0TA. We previously had owned a truck (Ranger) and an SUV (Explorer) and liked the higher ride than a car. Even with the Supercab we have nearly enough passenger space inside as we had in the Explorer and certainly more than the Ranger.

Although we don't take a ferry much our trip to Vancouver Island last year would have cost a bit more had we not had the 5.0.

As far as the bed goes, we love having the queen. I think I would find the queen in a 19 confining with three plus walls and having to crawl over, and even more confining with the 21's narrower bed. Our mattress only touches the wall at the head.

As far as losing bed space we are still able to put chairs, mat, ladder, blocks etc. ahead of hitch partly protected by tri-fold tonneau cover. We put our bbq in a plastic bin behind the hitch. One trip without bbq we actually put two bikes behind the hitch and still had clearance. Mind you that was with our 2010 F150 2wd which had higher box sides.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote