Awning & window changes - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #201

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Let's not confuse the standard vs optional windows, yes the optional front window on a 21 is not thermal (neither is it on the 19 where it is standard) but it comes with a rock guard cover which enables you to insert some reflection in the winter for thermal effect) Their website states that the front window is not thermal (thus single paned) on both the 19 and the 21 models. I believe the optional slider bath window is not thermal also, if my memory is correct from my 2014 E21 with the framed thermal package. The 2ndG door window is thermal, standard.
In my post you quoted, I added "Like all forums, what what intends to write is not what another reads, and sometimes what is meant to be a joke is take too seriously", before I read this post. Ironic!

Sometimes we can beat things to death because of semantics. In your previous post to me you said thermal, not standard vs optional. I was talking thermal. In addition, the Escape "sales person" told me the door window was single pane, so I will be clarifying that with Tammy or Rease too.

We have until September 7 (?) to finalize our build and hopefully we can have our facts straight by then to make an intelligent decision. Because we plan on this being our last camper we will probably go with framed windows and the old standard awning.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #202
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This forum is always a good place to start when asking questions. BUT, if involves spending your money and exactly what you want, the best answers always come from ETI.

There are no 'model' years when it comes to an ETI build. Changes happen throughout the year at the factory. The only trailer I can be absolutely certain of, is my own and what I got and paid for.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #203

Trailer: None now
Quote:
I'm committed to the power awning, with proper and judicious use it will be fine. There is a sweep on the case that clears debris while retracting. Use it and enjoy it....
As far as windows, double/single pane, I'd not speculate as to what someone, other than your sales person says. The website says framed thermal, the frameless are thermal, that is a fact. Anything else would need to be clarified.

Jim, they are correct. Small objects can get under the brush edge sweep on the awning case and will imprint or if rough edged like a small stone can puncture the awning material I've had maple seed imprints and a small stone that I did not notice ( kids in campground ) left a couple small holes that I patched in the awning. I had some pine needles and a few small cones on it early last year and when closed they jammed between the awning parts as it closed and the awning made a horrible groaning noise. Luckily I was holding the control so I stopped it and opened it a foot and using the picnic table as a stand cleaned it out.

After that I bought a small handheld blower and set the folding ladder up and look before I close it if we are near trees now.

We like the awning but do view it as a potential problem.
The odds are real high if it fails during our ownership of the trailer we will go back to a manual awning if they are still like what's out there now.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #204

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Fluid design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Ya... Go back... Back,, to 2012 when trailers where more simple and reliable .
All these gadgets It's All about the Jones keeping up with the Hatfield's and McCoy's.
" What does the dish washer really do.?"
Not much stays the same and new products and new concepts work out sometimes and not others. In camper assembly all the manufacturers are influenced by the suppliers and what is being made available.
The volume of campers being produced and the demand by inexperienced yet expecting all the latest conveniences customers has certainly influenced the trend to disposability. As I said before , read Vance Packard’s “The waste makers” from the 60s. What’s the countryside going to look like in 15 or 20 years? It’s bad enough now littered with decaying vehicles, campers, boats, tires etc.
History rolls on.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #205

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Being dyslexic I wish the editing window was open for at least 8-12 hours so I can come back, like I have for years, and see mistakes I don't see when I originally post. "what what" should have been "what one."

I was back in under three hours and my post was already closed to editing. I believe the fiberglass forum is 8-12 hours. How long is the editing window open in this forum?

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Being dyslexic I wish the editing window was open for at least 8-12 hours so I can come back, like I have for years, and see mistakes I don't see when I originally post. "what what" should have been "what one."

How long is the editing window open?

Enjoy,

Perry

Until just before I notice some mistake I made when posting
Old 07-19-2018, 12:16 PM   #207

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post

Just keep it at about 1/3 deployed if it’s precipitating and all will be well [emoji106]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Good advice.

In heavy rain I keep mine up to 1/2 way out and it does not seem to pool. At night though I take it in closer to 1/3.
The fact that you can't use the awning to it's full potential unless you are there standing guard is reason enough not to want it. We don't cook in our unit but rather set up an outside kitchen under the awning. If we couldn't deploy it all the way in the rain I'd be eating soggy pancakes for breakfast. Unless it is extremely windy we never retract the awing. It takes me 30 seconds to setup (on a slow day) and I can thoroughly clean it of all manner cr@p that falls on it as I retract it. I'm glad ETI is offering the old awing again so at least us practical people can get the best one. Oops did I say that out loud?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #208

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
The fact that you can't use the awning to it's full potential unless you are there standing guard is reason enough not to want it. We don't cook in our unit but rather set up an outside kitchen under the awning. If we couldn't deploy it all the way in the rain I'd be eating soggy pancakes for breakfast. Unless it is extremely windy we never retract the awing. It takes me 30 seconds to setup (on a slow day) and I can thoroughly clean it of all manner cr@p that falls on it as I retract it. I'm glad ETI is offering the old awing again so at least us practical people can get the best one. Oops did I say that out loud?

Have you owned and used the electric awning? I’ve owned and used both. I will take the electric one every time.

Your mileage not only may vary, but clearly does, and that’s all fine and dandy, but kindly remember that it’s not the same as everyone else’s.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #209

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In addition, any awning should not be left fully deployed unattended, power or manual, simple rule.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #210

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I've owned both styles of awnings. I love the electric awning i do the same as Jim at night and when raining.
i use it all the time. I have an issue with one window - bathroom ETI is aware of it and I'm sure it will be resolved. I'm not the least bit worried.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #211

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
In addition, any awning should not be left fully deployed unattended, power or manual, simple rule.
If this is too be considered a rule with the manual awning, I have broken it many hundreds, even thousands, of times, as have most folks I know. With the manual awning it was deployed when setting up and retracted only when packing up. The rare occasion of being in a windy location was just about the only exception. This is the thing I miss most about the manual awning.

Only with rain in the forecast do I not leave the electric awning fully deployed, other than most nights where I bring it in some.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #212

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
We are with you about the awning . When we get to campground , awning gets deployed and doesn't come down unless very high winds . No worries in rain ever . Too much work and worry with electric awnings . Really can't use electric awnings as intended . Worrying about this and that , can't deploy all the way . We want to go camping and not be worrying and working . Set up and relax and done . Each to their own I guess . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #213

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
It sounds like you have not used an electric awning. What is this standing guard you talk about? Nothing I have ever done except in pouring rain, and I plan to fix this situation. We also do the majority of our cooking outside, dishes too. I just prefer it, better scenery, more room, and more social. If the weather is lousy we move inside where we use the kitchen appliances we paid for.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It sounds like you have not used an electric awning. What is this standing guard you talk about? Nothing I have ever done except in pouring rain, and I plan to fix this situation. We also do the majority of our cooking outside, dishes too. I just prefer it, better scenery, more room, and more social. If the weather is lousy we move inside where we use the kitchen appliances we paid for.
Jim , I watch my brother . Kind of entertaining . I did just get a Smart phone though . Need for our Ring and Victron monitoring . Pat
Old 07-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #215

While I am not real fond of the weak rain shed qualities of the new awning there is one thing about it I really like. How I can handle it with one finger.

Push button, awning out.
Push the other button, awning going in. Raining? Push center button when awning is about 4 feet out.

Inside trailer and all hell bust loose outside? Push button and retract awning. Watch other folks dashing around in the squall retracting their manual awnings.
This Happened at the Rally and again last week when a sudden storm swept in on us.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #216

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
While I am not real fond of the weak rain shed qualities of the new awning there is one thing about it I really like. How I can handle it with one finger.

Push button, awning out.
Push the other button, awning going in. Raining? Push center button when awning is about 4 feet out.

Inside trailer and all hell bust loose outside? Push button and retract awning. Watch other folks dashing around in the squall retracting their manual awnings.
This Happened at the Rally and again last week when a sudden storm swept in on us.

Exactly.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #217

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So that will be our entertainment at the Osoyoos Rally, the auto's watching the manuals during a rainstorm, which always seems to happen between 2-4 any day.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:11 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Jim , I watch my brother . Kind of entertaining . I did just get a Smart phone though . Need for our Ring and Victron monitoring . Pat
I want to add he hates his electric awnings but he wants Class A's and that is all they install on them . Also I can close up the manual pretty fast by myself , don't understand why it would be time consuming or hard . Pat
Old 07-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #219

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Jim
Your entertainment will be short lived if you’re looking my way. Minutes 1-5 , pick stuff up that would blow around. Minutes 6-10 put awning down, lock Escape, check finances in back pocket, leave in Highlander. Minutes 10-120 I’ll be in the tavern in town tipping a cold one. Minutes 120 thru mess call. Return, drink more beer, tell a couple lies, Head for dinner.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #220

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I want to add he hates his electric awnings but he wants Class A's and that is all they install on them . Also I can close up the manual pretty fast by myself , don't understand why it would be time consuming or hard . Pat
Maybe we'll have an awning race event at Quartzsite this year. I just closed my manual up in UT in about 50 seconds, maybe less. Might be faster than the electrics can go in.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote